If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Wensleydale Railway Matters

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by s1m0nad, Nov 10, 2014.

1. mdewell

mdewell Member

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Having since looked at the satellite image of Leeming Bar, I suspect you are probably right about that (despite the WR website describing it as “the principal hub of the Railway where maintenance to rolling stock is carried out”) :)

2. garth manor

garth manor Member

BR destroyed the infrastructure when they ran it as a quarry and MOD branch so its an uphill task for a relatively poorly supported line, the new maintenance shed at Leeming is a fine achievement as is the rescued ex GER signalbox, it is the only hub as such on the line. There is secondhand book and model fundraiser carriage in the bay and a large antique and junk emporium close by. Bedale was fortunate to retain its classic NER box the town is a good 5 mins walk but the developing station is Leyburn which also has novelty teapot and chocolate factory shops in the estate to the east and good pubs, an excellent chippy and the shawl walk up the town. Do not miss the cheese tasting creamery in Hawes where the station waits for on of the 3 parties interested in the line to get there.

mdewell likes this.
  3. mikechant

mikechant Member

Errr...You do realise that there are no trains from Aysgarth itself despite there being a station there? (I expect you *probably* know this and were maybe just not mentioning driving from Aysgarth to Redmire to get the train, but I wanted to make sure!)

mdewell likes this.
  4. mdewell

mdewell Member

Thank you for your concern. yes I was aware of that. Debating whether the wife will be up for the 3 mile walk to Redmire or I will have to take the car anyway. :)

5. John Merry

John Merry New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Travelled on the Polar Express last Saturday evening with the wife and 5 year old grandson .We all had a very enjoyable time, the organisation and people involved, both from the railway and Polar Express were top drawer. Looking at booking for 2020 and taking more of the clan.

Phil Neal TSR likes this.
  6. mdewell

mdewell Member

The WR is now home to two retired northern class 142 pacers, but . . . "suffering from leaking windows and roof pods making seats and floors mouldy and will eventually cause damage to electrics. Whilst waiting for shed space these vehicles need to be kept dry to try to reduce overhaul costs.
    We can buy tarpaulins and fixing ropes for all 4 vehicles for £650. This time of year operating funds wont stretch that far. Can you spare a few quid to help these drowning donkeys?"

https://wensleydale-railway.co.uk/pacer-donation/
    @Victor :D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  7. Fireline

Fireline Member

You should offer incentives for those who donate more, like not having to ride in them.... ;)

8. mdewell

mdewell Member

I should clarify that I was just quoting from their website, I have no connection with them.