If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welshpool & Llanfair locos

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by tony51, Sep 19, 2013.

1. tony51

tony51 New Member

This is interesting ...

"After a further failure of Resita 764.425, wide-ranging investigation of potential options is taking place to determine the most attractive, cost-effective and business like way ahead. Options include doing nothing, repairing the Resita once more, rebuilding another W&L locomotive and even leasing or purchasing a locomotive from elsewhere.

Built by ‘Franco-Belge’ in 1944 for the German Military as a tender locomotive, Loco No.699.01 worked on the Salzkammergut Lokalbahn (SKGLB) in Austria until the line closed in 1956. The locomotive transferred to the Wiez – Ratten line in Styria where it was converted to a tank locomotive and eventually sold to the W&L. It has been out of service since 1999 and is now in the Workshop in Llanfair for preliminary investigations into the cost of this option. The move from storage in Welshpool has provided us with a lovely photographic opportunity to share with you."

http://www.wllr.org.uk/news.htm#699.01 on the move!

2. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Would be nice to see 699.01 out again, I well remember riding behind this loco in the 70s and 80s.

3. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
  4. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

I also agree that it would be nice to see Sir Drefaldwyn out again, though it is also disappointing that the Resita has caused so much trouble. Does anybody know how long she has been out of action for?

5. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Link to a video of what I presume is the latest failure of the Resita. It does seem to have given far more than it's fair share of problems.

Thunderer008 likes this.
  6. meeee

meeee Member

I think it is easier to count the days it has been in action rather than the ones it has been out.

7. tony51

tony51 New Member

I wonder what's a possibilty for "leasing or purchasing a locomotive from elsewhere". Is there anything out there of suitable size in good condition? I guess they won't be shopping in Romania again.

8. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Is Chevallier still in the UK? There aren't many other 2' 6" gauge locos around that might possibly be available. That video doesn't look good. The loco seems to waddle for a few seconds before it fails. I did see it mentioned somewhere they were thinking of overhauling the other Resita using the boiler from 19, but can't remember where.

9. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Is it possible to convert 'Monarch' to oil firing. That would give a better results than using coal in a marine firebox.

10. ilvaporista

C.Eng
  11. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Statfold have a couple of 2'6" locos...

The La Meuse loco has been to the WLLR before back in the late 90's as part of a gala weekend, but I think it was far too small to handle a reasonable load on the gradients they have.

I too have a very soft spot for 699.01 as it was the first full size (12" to the foot) I ever drove. Would be nice to see it back in action!

12. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

If looking abroad then how about a Zillertalbahn 0-6-2t, or a VR Na class 2-6-2t. Yes i know it wont happen, but imagine one of those Aussie monsters thundering up the line!

13. pjm

pjm New Member

Train Planner, Network Rail
    Would love to see Sir Drefaldwyn back running again it was the main loco on the line when we used to visit on a regular basis

14. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

The two original Beyer Peacock 0-6-0t locomotives were, and indeed are such ideal locomotives for the line. The WLLR may well be best served by a new locomotive to take the pressure off the existing fleet. 699.01 gives concern with respect to the chassis design, if I understand correctly, but that is no good reason not to address the problem. Resita may be best dealt with after any work on 699.01 has proved satisfactory. Chevallier may be a short term solution, similarly it would be useful if someone would take on Monarch and deal with the boiler/firebox issues.
    Pity J B Earle and E R Calthrop never made it into the preserved locomotive ranks though. Now there is the subject for a new build perhaps.

15. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Or http://www.multipowerinternational.com/narrowsale.html Seems strange they left it to a group of Ffestiniog-types to buy a C2. The W&L are a very disciplined bunch, with such a common gauge, I am surprised they have avoided the temptation to import a few more locos.

16. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

I always though that the problem with 'Monach's' boiler design was the very limited range from too much water to too little over the abrupt changes of gradient on the W&L. At least that's how I remembered it when it was last used in the 60's. Ray.

paulhitch likes this.
  17. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    There are still the 2'6" engines in Nepal. I gave up trying to buy one when everything went public and everyone wanted a cut.

18. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Is the Bredgar & Wormshill's "Siam" available for hire?

19. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I think that "La Meuse" is now owned by Stafold Barn, but I suspect that both it and "Siam" would be unsuitable for regular use on the WLLR. "Chevalier" might be a good choice if it were available and, having already visited the line, would be a known quantity. The Chinese C2Xs look interesting, but would almost certainly need a full overhaul- would that effort not be better put into sorting either the Resita (for which there is a second example to provide a spare boiler etc) or 699.01?

20. robgolding96

robgolding96 New Member

Video Editor and Camera Operator
    There is a Bagnall AK16 (Delta Class) 2-6-2t somewhere... That would be very nice too see running! ;-)

-Rob