If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welshpool Gala 2009

Discussion in 'Photography' started by MrHillingdon, Sep 6, 2009.

1. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I made my first visit to the Welshpool & Lanfair Light Railway on Saturday for their annual gala. I was particularly keen to see 'The Earl' and 'Countess', the line's two original locos. They did not disappoint and neither did the railway. If you're not into narrow gauge or you've never been there, I can highly recommend a visit. You won't be disappointed. Is there anyone around these parts who works on the line?
    My photos from the day can be seen at my fotopic site.

Cheers,

Paul

2. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Nice pictures!

Without seeing them "in the metal" it is difficult to appreciate the sheer presence of the Beyers. This is a compound of a sense that they are "carved from the solid" and the movement of their beautifully crafted motionwork. Even motion pictures don'y quite capture this.

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I went on Sunday, and have to agree with Paul was very worthwhile. First time I've travelled in the Pickering coaches and they are absolutely fantastic and a great aquisition. Despite having practically the same line-up year after year, they still know how to put a show a show on and a very enjoyable one is was too! Think this was my third or fourth successive year I've visited and I shall do my best to return next year. A trip behind Dougal is an absolute must as well, not something you get to see everyday of the week.

4. Achar2001

Achar2001 New Member

Motoring and Rail Journalist and Editor
    We are working hard to ensure it's not the same year after year. all being well the returning Joan should be an attraction next year and we are investigating other possibilities, so keep your fingers crossed!

Andrew C

5. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see Joan in action but I think it is a complement to the railway that with basically the same engines working each year the galas appear to be a great interest to many. Practically all trains that I saw on Saturday were at the very least very well filled. Good luck to the railway and a very big thank you to Andrew and colleagues for the hard work that obviously went into making a great event.

Regards,

Paul

6. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

I attended the gala for the first time and it was very friendly and well organised. I got in on Saturday night after the Gauge O Guild exhibition at Telford just as things were relaxing for the evening. Incidentally, that is a good pairing of dates. The specially brewed beer, "Boiler Treatment" bitter was a good session ale.

The odd good bits I particularly noticed were:
    -No hi viz vests except for the chap directing traffic on the road outside.
    -Intelligent access policy to the workshop, and some fine models on display.
    -The short trip in "The Wasp". That was something different, and you certainly get a fine view of the switchback engineering of the line, followed by waiting to watch trains cross at Cyfronydd. If I do that again I'll take a picnic basket. For the wagon bashers out there, there is a guards van body at Cyfronydd which is said to be North Staffs.
    -The crew of SLR 85 in colonial pith helmets.

For anyone thinking of visiting, there was a pig roast at the Black Dragon which was excellent value and I gather it is a regular feature on summer Saturdays. One on site would have been perfect.

Many thanks to all those who worked so hard. One for the diary next year. The SLR first class coach with its armchairs should be worth seeing

Tim

7. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's a lovely railway in a beautiful part of the country. There is no shortage of interesting historical places for the less fanatical, to make a family weekend away worthwhile - my wife was delighted by Powis Castle on the outskirts of Welshpool, and also enjoyed the railway!

It is very friendly, and retains a light railway atmosphere.

John

8. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member