If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by tony51, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RLinkinS

RLinkinS Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Would you choose a compound or a simple?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

2. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I'd choose a compound, but then I'm not being asked to drive it!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

30854 and ragl like this.
  3. 60044

60044 Member

I'd try to keep the one they already have and suggest that its owners do up another for themselves!

4. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

This is a link to the survivors https://www.dampflok.at/cU.html
    The notation for these locos is C1t-n2 with the suffix v for the 2 cylinder compounds like ZB 3 Tirol.
    Ray.

5. tony51

tony51 New Member

6. tony51

tony51 New Member

7. tony51

tony51 New Member

8. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

A question if I may for the more enlightened :
    822 'The Earl' appeared in steam on a well wagon at the Rainhill exhibition May 24th - 26th 1980.
    Does anyone know if the engine featured on each of the three days and if so, which standard gauge engine towed it? I know that Black Five 5000 did the honours on the first cavalcade on 24th May but I'm unclear for day's 2 & 3.

9. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Here is a shot of 5000 having reached Whiston on Mon 26th May with 822 on a well wagon behind it. I am not aware that this formation did not go out on Sun 25/5 as planned.
    mini_80-5-26 26 5000 Whiston copy.jpg

Peter

10. misspentyouth62

thanks for the reply torgormaig
    Interesting because on the 26th, the parade of the black five didn't include this train so I was unsure of another took instead?
    45000_Rainhill_260580.jpg

Goldie likes this.
  11. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

All is not what it seems there. 5000 took the freight train, which included 822 on a well wagon, past the grandstands and out as far as Whiston. There the loco behind it, Castle 5051, coupled onto the rear and in due course took the freight back to Bold Colliery, followed by the Black 5 running light. Your photo shows the loco's return without a load, as evidenced by the position of the driver looking rearwards. This is the same date as my photograph.

Peter

misspentyouth62 likes this.
  12. misspentyouth62

Thank you Peter - that explains everything :)
    Much obliged.

13. tony51

tony51 New Member

14. GHWood

GHWood Member

Remember seeing The Earl at Rainhill in 5000’s train (and 5051 pulling it back - I’d forgotten that bit!) on the first day of the cavalcade - happy days! Don’t remember 822 being in steam though? I think it had been out of traffic for quite a while before Rainhill but I’m sure someone on here will know.

15. misspentyouth62

There are a few images on Flickr taken on the days I wasn't there which seemed to show The Earl "in steam" although this may simply have been something done to create that illusion?
    My images that I took turned out to be 5051 on outward and Black Five 5000 on reverse run-past so although I captured both mainline engines, I missed an image of 822 in both directions! :)

16. tony51

tony51 New Member

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  17. tony51

tony51 New Member

Reopening! Posted on Facebook today:

STEAM TRAINS FROM AUGUST 1ST!

We're thrilled to be returning steam to our historic railway on August 1st and seven days a week until further notice afterwards.

Passengers will enjoy an eight-mile return trip from Llanfair Caereinion to Castle Caereinion, taking one hour, in vintage European carriages. All trains are steam hauled, unless in extraordinary circumstances, by a locomotive at least 118 years old!

We know that many families and those in our local community are in difficult positions so our prices are set to be affordable to as many as possible. Adult tickets are just £12, with families of four at £29. There is no minimum group size or spend - yippee! Tickets must be booked in advance - they will be released on a weekly basis.

We've put a variety of measures in place to keep you safe, but there is no need to worry - you will still have a really enjoyable experience. Our measures are spelled out on our website.

You can now book tickets and read our updated Frequently Asked Questions online at www.wllr.org.uk. Our capacity is limited, so make sure to book as soon as you can!

18. tony51

tony51 New Member

19. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Excellent news for the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway. <BJ>

[​IMG]
    Mike Abbott, from Leicester, bequeathed his collection of 70 locomotives to raise funds for a Welsh railway

A model rail enthusiast has secured the future of a heritage line by raising £132,000 from scale model locomotives left in his will.

Kenneth Abbott bequeathed his collection of 70 locomotives to raise funds for the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway in Wales.

Andrew Smith, of auctioneers Gildings, said Mr Abbott, from Leicester, must have been a keen visitor.

Charles Spencer, the railway's general manager, said he was "delighted".

Mr Abbott, who was widely known as Mike, died earlier this year at the age of 89. He left his collection of gauge 1 locomotives to be auctioned.

The models date back to the 1990s and include items from companies such as Accucraft, Bachmann, Aster and Locomotive Works.
    [​IMG]
    Locomotives - like this Metropolitan Railways Electric Sherlock Holmes - were said to be of "very, very good quality"
    "They were very, very good quality," Mr Spencer said. "Every single one of them was sold.

"Because the sale was going to support a light railway which has been struggling through Covid-19, a lot of local collectors were keen to help out.

"It is rare for a collection of this size and scope to come up at auction, so although we knew there was a lot of interest in the sale, even we were surprised by the consistently high levels of bidding we saw on the day.

"We are thrilled with the success."
    [​IMG]
    Mr Spencer said the railway was "delighted" with Mr Abbott's support.

He added: "Thanks to the generosity of Mr Abbott, proceeds from this sale will help this carefully preserved, historic light railway to delight and educate visitors for years to come."

The rural line closed in 1956 but a group of enthusiasts began the process of reopening it in 1963.

The proceeds of the auction will go towards the line's Tracks to Recovery Covid-19 appeal.

20. tony51

tony51 New Member