If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welsh Mountaineer, 4th August

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Steamage, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Any news today? I was slightly alarmed when I looked on RTT just now, as it appears to have left Llandudno Jn 53E. However, I suspect that's a "quirk" of RTT, perhaps caused by the loco drawing forward to run round the train, so may look to the computer logging as though it has left the station and entered the next section.

2. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Seems to of come into some bother between Betws y coed and roman bridge. Couple down at Betws going great guns but still not reached roman bridge yet...

3. Steamage

Are you in the area, or just going by RTT? RTT might not get an update until the train arrives at BFf. On the other hand, even by that measure, she's about 30 mins overdue... IIRC, if that train is going to have trouble, it's on the curves above Betws-y-Coed.

4. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  5. 33056

33056 Member

Professional "basher"
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Been told by someone on the train that it has slipped to a stand twice and is now setting back to Bettws-y-Coed whilst N/Rail decide what to do......

6. Steamage

What are the options? It's probably past the point where there isn't time to get up to BFF and back; at least, not without disrupting the other services on the branch. Is there a loop at Betws-y-Coed? Is it long enough to hold the train and allow the loco to run round? If not, they need to get back to North Llanrwst, but that's a long way to propel - probably too far to be sanctioned by Control.

Not good for the passengers, and not good for RTC and WCRC. There will now be another round of the usual, predictable comments about charters being overloaded for the available loco. One damn thing after another just at the moment...

D1002 likes this.
  7. alanfrombangor

alanfrombangor New Member

Guest house proprietor
    Living near Bangor, my only opportunity of a steam Conwy Valley ride is to ask the train manager at Llandudno Junction for a fare to Blaenau, which I've done a few times. Last year the TM was all too pleased at additional revenue, asked me if we wanted singles or returns and offered a return for £40 each which I considered not unreasonable but hardly a bargain. Today I got a patronising "These trains cost a lot to hire you know, couldn't do it for less than £50 each" which I declined.

8. 33056

33056 Member

Professional "basher"
    Only load 6 IIRC, no further news from my contact on the train but looks like going back to Llanrwst might be the quickest option if allowed. Hate to think where the nearest assistance is.

9. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Oh, from all the comments on Nat Pres recently I thought it was only ever Tangmere that slipped to a standstill. For whatever reason.

Lets hope that if there is a problem today it can be sorted without causing too many problems for all involved.

10. Steamage

Betws-y-Coed to Llanrwst N is about 6km. It's fairly straight and level, but even so, that's too far to propel a passenger train. However, they may be allowed to do it ECS. My guess is they'll detrain the passengers at Betws then try to arrange road coaches to ferry them to Llanrwst. At least there are lots of places to get a cup of tea in Betws while the arrangements are made.

11. 33056

33056 Member

Professional "basher"
    Train now back at Llanrwst, some head - scratching apparently going on but would think that the outcome now will almost certainly be to run round and head back to Preston.

12. Steamage

Ah well, so much for my operating knowledge! :rolleyes:

Looking in RTT at the knock-on effects, I see service 2D16 from Llandudno to BBF was cancelled at Llanrwst at 1350 and an extra ECS, 5D16, ran from Llrwst at 1406 to Llandudno J. I guess that means that 2D17, the 1457 from BBF can't run, since the stock never got there. 2D18, 1620 from Llandudno, should run as scheduled, and RTT now shows the charter waiting at Llanrwst until its booked time of 1655, when 2D18 has passed, though if the run-round is complete, I suppose there's nothing to stop it running in 2D17's path, leaving Llanrwst at 1531. It could even pick up at all stations to the Junction, covering for the missing DMU.

13. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

Footage of 45231 this morning on the outbound run, seen powering past Runcorn East then accelerating across the Shropshire Union Canal at Northgate Locks in Chester.

14. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
  15. 33056

33056 Member

Professional "basher"
    Don't blame you for thinking it was too far, plenty of others would. Being unashamedly "old skool", I have done plenty of similar propelling moves in the past and would do so again provided everything was safely set up and a clear understanding was reached with all concerned.
    Anyway, back to the train - loco has been run round but the train is not being allowed to go until it's booked time on the return, it has now been propelled to Llanwrst so the passengers can stretch their legs and look round the village.

16. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Back in May 1998 and October 1999 the SVR's Standard Tank stalled just below MP19 just past Bettws. Did it get that far does anyone know?

17. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I think a wander down to and over the River Conwy would be nice. On the bridge of course. Get a cuppa or more at the Tu-Hwnt-I'r Bont whilst watching the river meander by.

Driven through Llanwrist a few times, looked quite a nice place.

Looks like it left on time at 16.55. Fingers crossed it's a trouble free run back.

18. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

80079 stalled with 6 and the train was then split for it to continue, a couple of years ago the exact same thing happened with 45231 it stalled with 6 and the train was split. Neither runs were anything to do with the weather, loco or crew, it was purely a coach to many to get up the gradient and round the reverse curves with check rails. Who an earth though 45231 could take 6 up there as it clearly showed two years ago that it couldn't, 5 is an absolute maximum.

5098 likes this.
  19. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

RTT shows the return as cancelled so no idea what has been done.

20. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey