If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Webb Compounds

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by andrewshimmin, Nov 11, 2017.

1. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I thought the Webb Compounds deserved their own thread. They always spark much discussion, a lot of it based on looking backwards through the binoculars of history.
    However, my purpose wasn't to launch into a spirited defence of poor old Frank (who could certainly have looked after himself) nor of his various designs.
    Rather, I have a specific query:
    In Backtrack, Volume 9 Number 11, November 1995, on page 586, there is a photo of a Benbow - in fact of No. 1952 'Benbow' herself. It is after conversion to independent valve gear (covers visible) and in plain black; the caption suggests soon after conversion.
    The loco has circular windows in the cab spectacle plate, but the cab is the longer Whale type with rear vertical handrail from roof to side sheet. I have never seen another photo of a Benbow with this feature, they all have square-cornered Whale windows.
    The photo is credited S.P.Higgins/NRM.
    My query is: was this (round windows on a Benbow) unique to No. 1952? How long did it last on this engine?
    I think this combination of Whale cab and circular windows makes this loco the most handsome of the 4-cylinder LNW compounds.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017