If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Weardale, Dartmoor and RMS for sale

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by sycamore, Jan 5, 2020.

1. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Good blog and was interesting to read of the passion of John Hummel getting things going.
    The comment about "Every heritage railway needs to come up with new ideas and income streams since doing it 'just like we've always done' is not a sure bet for survival."
    Is good, Iowa Pacific seemed to do well in the UK and US with the Polar Express until other issues meant it could not pay Warner Brothers the fees
    The Auckland Project seems like a local "National Trust" so hope it works out for the Weardale railway, there is the chance to bring in joint attraction offers which might boost visitor numbers, especially when the steam loco returns to service.

Hopefully something will be sorted with the Dartmoor railway, ideally they could also do with a steam loco?

2. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Did Iowa/BARS ever make a profit on their uk operations? Pete Briddon’s blog seems to imply they relied on regular injections of cash from sources now dried up.

3. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  4. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Auckland project have done alot for the town (reopened the castle, gardens, started a food festival and brought Kynren to the town) so this would be within their range as an extra attraction. Hopefully they can allow the Trust to continue it's good work in the last few years.

5. Crusti Boiler

Crusti Boiler New Member

Robkitchuk mentions the good work done by the Trust. As I understand it the Trust is a minor part of the Weardale operation. It did run the DMU service over the last couple of years but all the big events such as the Christmas Trains, galas and catering trains were run by the railway itself. The railway company also employed all the track people, maintenance staff and supervisory staff. Although it's all gone wrong for the American owning company now I doubt the line would have reopened from Wolsingham to Bishop Auckland without their input.

Robkitchuk likes this.
  6. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

Very much agree with your sentiments. I think it's a case of the trust complimented the commercial (providing volunteers for the above activities etc). Fingers crossed solution can be found.

jnc likes this.
  7. Evan DMU

Evan DMU New Member

From the Weardale Railway

'Regret to inform that due to the protracted process of transferring the railway to new owners it will not be possible to hold the diesel gala provisionally planned for the Weardale Railway for April 17-19. The Railway regrets the disappointment which this may cause, but hopes that a replacement event can be hosted later in the season.'

8. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

That might look like Bad News on the surface, but the implication that transfer to new owners is happening is surely Good News.

9. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Reported tonight that the sale of the Weardale Railway to the Auckland Trust has now gone through. This must be Good News - but we have seen false dawns with the line before. Fingers crossed for success this time - and with Shildon so close, perhaps we will see cooperation with Locomotion/NRM in the future too.

49010, Bluenosejohn and jnc like this.
  10. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Yes it might but it remains to be seen how much of this will be the case. The line does have a wealthy benefactor linked to it now - but a project like this can soon swallow a load of cash.

11. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

12. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

The BBC News TV channel recently had reports on Bishop Auckland's High Street and the difference the benefactor made, and will hopefully also make a difference to the railway.
    A few weeks of difficult times ahead before revenue raising trains can be run again due to virus restrictions.

Hopefully the Dartmoor Railway will now also be able to find a long term solution?

SID125 likes this.
  13. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
  14. BR34095

BR34095 New Member

There is no doubt that the new owner for Weardale is great news. It is reported that the new owner wants to get a TOC to get involved and run trains from Stanhope to Darlington. It is also reported that the new owner knows nothing about running railways.

I do see a couple of potential problems and I wonder if the new owner knows about these things. If these problems are due to my misunderstanding of the situation and I am wrong, then maybe someone on this forum can correct me.

The distance between Bishop-Auckland and Stanhope is about 18 miles. As far as I know, the whole railway has to be run as a long siding with “one engine in steam”. This is because of the lack of signalling. There are three other stops between Bishop-Auckland and Stanhope, namely Frosteley, Wolsingham and Witton-le-Wear. Just past Witton, as I understand it, there seems to be an ongoing problem with a neighbour of the line who has, without permission, moved his fence too close to the railway causing any train to pass at a restricted speed of 5 MPH.

There was also a dip in track at Bishop-Auckland which was preventing trains getting into the Weardale station at Bishop Auckland at all. This has now been repaired but I believe that trains still have to pass that section at a 5 MPH restriction so I am not sure how well that has been permanently repaired.

There is, of course, the fact that Weardale trains can not stop at Bishop-Auckland station proper and a new station would/should be provided for through trains.

Even if all these problems are remedied Weardale trains are then going to have to travel at 25MPH so trains will have to be in the Weardale section for about 2 hours what with restrictions, station stops. lack of signals and the overall light railway speed.

Will a TOC want to tie up a train for that amount of time for what appears to be very little return?

Please don’t get me wrong, I dearly wish the Weardale to succeed.

I would love to see steam return, a proper through service(Pacers?), new proper signalling, and that all-important station at Bishop-Auckland. There is room for an island platform there if Network Rail will play ball, but I also believe that the last time they were asked they came up with some ridiculous monetary figure.

The Weardale has the potential to be one of the finest heritage railways in the country with the S&D connection, Shildon on its doorstep and a real start and finish. Not only that, but wonderful scenery too.

The question is, can it be done and can this owner do it?

Your comments, please. And please tell me I am wrong!

ross and Graft on like this.
  15. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired

The new owner knows nothing about running a railway - they're not part of Northern Rail are they ?

If a neighbour has moved a fence onto railway property just move it back - it's your fence and they are trespassing.

Bob.

MarkinDurham, Graft on and jnc like this.
  16. BR34095

BR34095 New Member

From my research the gentleman behind the Auckland Project is Jonathan Ruffer, who certainly has plenty of money behind him, from Google-£380 million.. As far as I can tell, he has nothing to do with Northern Rail.
    The problem with the fence is and has been on going for many years and unfortunately is not as easy as just "moving it back". The person involved claims it is his land.
    If Mr.Ruffer wants to take on the home owner in court, well, I think he has the money behind him to do that. I don't think the railway has had the means to do it before..
    Believe me, I am not 100% sure of the things that I have stated, which is why I would like someone to tell me if I am wrong and that they know something that I don't. However, I do know that these problems have existed or do exist.
    I am 99% sure that the railway is limited to 25 MPH and can see no reason to think that this is not true as all light railways are the same.
    The signalling problem I believe is also true as I know that there are no signal boxes on the line except for signage depicting fixed distants and the drivers have to radio in to Stanhope for permission to proceed. I am not sure this allows any other trains to be on the line or if, as I have said, the line is run as "One Engine in Steam" It may be similar to the signalling on the West Highland! If someone knows different, I would be pleased to be told where I am wrong.

17. BR34095

BR34095 New Member

To clarify it is the Auckland Project, which was was started by Jonathan Ruffer that has been quoted as knowing nothing about running trains.
    Please see:- https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/n...ct-wants-re-connect-historic-line-darlington/
    If Mr Ruffer is or was something to do with Northern Rail, I think that he would be advising the project.
    Ah...just got the joke. Let's thank our stars that Mr Ruffer is nothing to do with Northern.
    I think I need a humour transplant........

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  18. ross

ross Well-Known Member

As regards the fence: Many people believe there is a thing called squatters rights, whereby occupying a piece of land for a year and a day/11 years (opinions vary) means that one can claim ownership of stolen land. This is not the case. It is possible to claim land through defective title in this country, but there is no defective title on railway land. Any trespass onto operational railway land is criminal, so claiming that one has erected a fence to squat is an admission of trespass.
    Best approach is erect a concrete post and wire fence on the actual boundary (or palisade if you can afford it, ugly though it is). Demolish and remove trespassers fence. Set up discrete web cam watching new fence. If the neighbour does anything, you will have sufficient evidence for prosecution for trespass or criminal damage.
    I dealt with a couple of these when I was at Network Rail. There's no point talking after the first confrontation. Put up the new fence as soon as you can get the surveyor to confirm the actual boundary and the fencing contractor onto site. Hit hard. Hit fast. Then let them take you to court. They will threaten to, but no solicitor will take on the case.

P-J, toplight, nanstallon and 5 others like this.
  19. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Look at the history of the WHR, as there was never an abandonment order removing 'squatters' from the land was very easy.

20. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020