If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Weardale, Dartmoor and RMS for sale

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by sycamore, Jan 5, 2020.

1. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    One thing, i'm unsure of is the desire to re introduce passenger services to Okehampton, is it a stand alone service just between Okehampton and Exeter, or an extension of local services, for instance say the Exmouth local service beyond Exeter , ? to give a local network, that covers all local routes, or will it be better and make more sence, to extend the Waterloo to Exeter service to in effect also offer potential commuters an direct London service, and re write the timetable for a waterloo to Okehampton especially if its tied into a Plymouth, Tavistock-Okehampton limited stop fast bus service?

2. brennan

brennan Member

If you google " GWR Okehampton Franchise " you will discover that rather a lot has already been completed and but for the fiasco of the GWR electrification programme , services would have started.

As the Dartmoor Railway uses the old "down" platform at Okehampton it would appear that their activities would not be impaired. I doubt though, that GWR has any intention of running a Polar Express equivalent!

3. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    There is a FB post saying that the Dartmoor Railway has gone in to administration.... is this true?

4. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  5. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Any connections across the Channel with the Teifi Valley railway?

SpudUk likes this.
  6. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

The track is still in place ! But the future of the Weardale in particular must be very uncertain now, Dartmoor has a different ownership structure.

7. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

The owner of British American Railway Services Ltd, Iowa Pacific has gone bankrupt owing money to several organisations.
    The Dartmoor railway and part owned Weardale railway went up for sale, presumably as they have not met the right price Administers have stepped in.
    They might now look to see if the railways can be salvaged or reorganised to get some money back, paid staff may be cut back, but if the can work with the supporters association (and GWR) so trains can run for the next season with a profit, means they can more more for a sale to pay back debts.
    Either a sympathic millionaire or a consortium needs to buy whats left of British American Railway Services to keep the heritage lines going long term.
    Hopefully rescue talks are ongoing?

8. brennan

brennan Member

The station cat has been laid off; Sadly today Dartmoor Railway went into adminstration. So in a mad rush I've moved to a temporary new home whilst we work out iong term plans. Thanks for everybody who offered to look after me and I know people are trying to work out whats best for me. Maybe one day I'll be back at the station.
    The DM is coming to visit me tomorrow and hopefully he'll get a picture of me and an update.
    Presently the station is locked up and all my friends who worked there no longer have jobs there so ist been a sad day all round.

[​IMG]

jnc likes this.
  9. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

what though exactly has gone into administration ? I was under the impression the supporters association ran the trains and restored the stock

10. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

No new information on Weardale. Which was a community interest company, with this company solely a shareholder.

11. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

What does this( Dartmoor railway) mean though, for the long term plans as the track is owned by yet another company that own the quarry, and the station I thought was owned by Devon CC, so most likily leased to Dartmoor Railway.

12. D1039

D1039 Guest

From the report https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2020/02/dartmoor-railway-goes-into-administration.html, the line from Coleford Junction to Meldon is owned by Aggregate Industries. Anything to do with the freehold would need negotiation with them.

Dartmoor Railway Community Interest Company operates the trains, and it's the latter that has gone into administration. Iowa Pacific Holdings Llc had significant control of Dartmoor Railway and Dartmoor Railway's last accounts show the largest creditor as Iowa Pacific. Any deal with the administrator to take over the Dartmoor Railway Community Interest Company or their rights to operate trains would depend on Iowa, as main creditor, voting to accept it.

Any corrections to the above are welcome.

Patrick

EDIT: corrected an errant Dartmouth Railway to Dartmoor

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2020
    jnc likes this.
  13. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

And I thought the WSR was complicated! :O

paulhitch, jnc and Wenlock like this.
  14. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

Deleted after error corrected

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  15. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

Dartmoor railway!! Please

16. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    Very sorry to hear about the travails of Weardale and Dartmoor. I remember riding the Weardale in about 2012 or so, it was only a Pacer set but the scenery and history of the area more than made up for that. Being realistic, a DMU set might sometimes be a better option for a fledgling or struggling line. I missed out on the Dartmoor railway when I stayed down in Buckfastleigh some years ago and I'd still like to add it to my bag.

On Project Midlands, and going off the other two lines being in areas associated with quarrying, could this have something to do with the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway from Wirksworth? It also might fit the Blue Chip client base because (I believe) it is used as a testing track for Bombardier or whoever is based in Derby now.

I do hope it's not the EVR, it's one of The Old Man's favourites and I always enjoy a visit there. It always strikes me as a very progressive and active line: always something new to see.

I can't help wondering about the Waverley Route Heritage Association, when I visited in about 2013 they had a short stretch of track in the middle of a very beautiful nowehere, about equidistant from Hawick and Newcastleton.

17. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

There is a report in today's Sunday Times that " It is understood that the Auckland Project, a charity based in Bishop Auckland, has made a bid for Weardale Railway" so all might not yet be lost...

Robkitchuk likes this.
  18. D1039

D1039 Guest

Apologies, I've corrected the errant Dartmouth Railway to Dartmoor.

Patrick

19. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

Brilliant news if that's the case. Fingers crossed solution is found, hopefully involving the existing trust too!

20. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member