If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WCRC Licence Suspended

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 5944, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That was my initial assumption, that information came from somewhere, but then you get

3. Implement arrangements to accurately record, monitor and manage

The two don't add up

2. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Yes.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Oh well, you learn something new every day they say.

4. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Your first fully emboldened paragraph shows that the train crew were being very naughty in their actions, and heaven knows why, as their actions put themselves and the train at risk, and IIRC the train came to rest across a junction, is nothing more than suicidal - and this was the straw that broke the camel's back!

And people are wondering why NR have reacted the way they have?............. from the wording by NR, WCRC have had this coming for a long time, and getting by by the skin of their teeth!

Just imagine, what would have happened had the charter come to rest across the junction, and there was a HST coming at it a full pelt.................

5. Phil-d259

Phil-d259 Member

Please remember that its not only locomotive's that have data recorders. As someone who regularly gets asked to investigate the signalling side of things when incidents occur, let me assure you the RAIBs normally statement refers not to the condition of the equipment on the locomotive (this phrase also appears in reports about containers being blown off trains for example) - rather it says that the lineside signal controls / AWS / TPWS (and associated data logging devices) have been checked and no faults or issues have been found.

What we don't know is the state of the on board equipment on the locomotive - it may be that the logger was working thus giving evidence that the automatic brake demand was overridden (NOTE this action is specifically mentioned in the RAIB statement) or it could be the data recorder was broken and the RAIBs statement is due to staff interviews and the possible absence of tamper prof seals.

6. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
  7. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Thank you for the clarification, really appreciated from someone with professional expertise in the field (so to speak!).

8. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    I would interpret that as actively reporting AWS and TPWS activations with a view to reviewing each incident and applying lessons learnt to driver training. Part of this will be looking at the OTMR downloads to develop an exact timeline of events.

The timings mentioned in the RAIB initial report would suggest the OTMR was working correctly, but we will not know for certain until the RAIB full report is complete and published.

Regards,

Dan

9. 26D_M

And 60009. Maybe big bucks could persuade Mr Swallow to allow 34027 to stretch its legs too once its ready if this turns into a longer suspension.

10. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

I think this is the crux of the matter and what is possibly being lost a little in the outcry about the suspension, a bloody enormous and scary bullet was dodged here...

joe_issitt likes this.
  11. 26D_M

Is there anything to prevent WCR drivers for example working for DBS instead if their competence is accepted.?

12. Oli15

Oli15 Member

Although todays very sad news hardly comes as a surprise after recent events, they now know what they have to do.

In the meantime until Network Rail are deemed satisfied, albeit diesel only can West Coast sub out work to Kingmoor in the form of DRS to haul their stock on their passenger licence and relevant safety cases etc?

Their shiny new 68s have appeared on wcme's lately standing in for the electric so guessing they are on speaking terms with one another??....

13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Have DRS got the spare drivers, and do they want to help out are the questions to be considered.

Wenlock likes this.
  14. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Last week.

15. 26D_M

Couldn't they hire Competent WCR staff?

16. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

That in a nutshell is why NR have done what they have, the ramifications of what could have happened,do not even bear thinking about - for train crew to knowingly put their charge in jeopardy is downright stupid.

"IF" WCRC do actually manage to comply with NR's demands in time, I for one can see them being "baby sat" on every single movement they do until NR are confident lessons have been learnt, and WCRC will be picking up NR's bill!

The other thing to consider in all of this is, just how many train crew will WCRC will have left to fulfill their commitments should they have any left........... I bet all their customers are now on the dog & bone to all the other TOC's.............

At the end of the day, this is a mess of WCRC's own making.......

green five likes this.
  17. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Oh dear. That's not going to do the reputation of ML steam any good, especially when at the bottom of that report there is a link to the story of "steam train passes signal at danger" which was added 5 days ago

18. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    Allegedly

19. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

There is nothing alleged about it. The SPAD occurred, and WCRC have been banned from running trains. Those are facts

paulhitch likes this.
  20. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    yes this was a serious incident, yes we missed a serious accident only by luck. That is not why WCR have been suspended. There are incidents like this every year, there are even incidents where we don't miss the accident and it happens. We also have very serious issues with TOC management - like the LE diesel that wasn't fit or certified to be on the rails, with a crew who had little experience and no route knowledge, and were only found out after a SPAD.

No company got suspended, even after incompetence like that. WCR have not been suspended because of the Tangmere incident, but because of their operational management before the incidence, and their actions after the incident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.