If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WCRC Licence Suspended

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 5944, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I don't remember any other TOC being banned from the network after a SPAD. One wonders, based on the last spat between WCR and NR if there have been more inflammatory WCR emails landing in the inboxes of NR.

2. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Exactly my thought, this could be a first step towards easing steam off the mainline altogether. I hope not, but I do agree with Ralph, it'd be wise not to speculate too much at this stage. Once Network Rail have made their official announcement though, I don't see why it shouldn't be an open discussion, provided the usual legal rules are followed.

3. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

True, and I think that was the concern of some when SD moved away from them. I guess they could pick up some of the future tours if necessary though could they ?

4. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    I really do hope that the safety concerns can be addressed. Presumably because a steam locomotive is essentially a mechanical device, there is the ability to override the automatic brake application and carry on? I would have thought a pre-requisite of the system being installed (and a loco to run mainline) would be that it operated in the same way as a regular train - eg. it has to come to a full stop before being reset ?

5. mrKnowwun

Retired
    It was a SPAD. SPADS have, and continue to occur with other motive power, even those fitted with all the modern safety systems. It was an operational issue, not a motive power issue.

EDIT, It is true tho, looking at the sequence of events, that this operational incident could well have had very serious consequences indeed. That is also true tho of most of the RAIB investigations, which at the end of the day, is why they are there..

6. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

You could be right there, it may simply not be possible for the system to work in the same way as it does on modern stock, but we're speculating a bit here so I think I'll wait until the NR statement before making any further posts.

7. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    True, never said it was a motive power issue. However, it all depends on how big an issue it becomes over the next couple of weeks, and based upon last summer's little escapade, I'm not holding out for a happy ending for this one. An excuse for making it harder for steam to operate on the network is now available.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  8. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Whilst I will not speculate on this specific case of the SPAD as nothing is official yet and signalling procedure way outside any expertise I have.

However it is worth bearing in mind that in addition to the ban last year for the fire issue and subsequent response/spat there is also the case at Winchfield which concluded that the maintenance arrangements for Tangmere 'were not in accordance with the principles of WCRC’s safety management system' and that the 'on-train data recorder fitted to Tangmere did not record the details of the locomotive’s movements' on the day.

I wonder whether multiple cases over a certain period automatically lead to review and potential action.

9. mrKnowwun

Retired
    The very same thought occurred to me, "jeez I hope they had the OTDR working" when I saw the RAIB report, then I assumed they had, as the sequence of events seemed pretty complete so had a source somewhere. I could well be wrong of course.

10. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

This is the third major thing in, what, 2 years? (Tangmere's con-rod, York area fire precautions, now this.) I gather there have been various smaller things, too, that haven't had such wide discussion. AIUI, it's not just the incidents themselves, but the questions they've raised about WCRC's procedures and safety management. Remember the comments in the RAIB report into Tangmere's breakdown about WCRC inspecting their own loco? And as you hint, WCRC are not exactly known for their diplomatic, conciliatory approach. This time, though, it's not just steam that's affected, but the whole of WCRC's business. Hopefully, that will provoke a constructive response...

I sincerely hope that Bulleid Pacific is wrong in his pessimistic view. There's no reason why steam should be prevented from running on the mainline, but it can't be taken for granted, and it must "fit in" with regular modern operations.

11. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Rest assured, I hope I'm wrong, too...

12. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    How many other SPADs have occured because the crew members have done something with the safety equipment making it inoperable?

If it was merely a simple SPAD then I doubt the RAIB would be involved to the level they are, and that this supposed ban would even be getting talked of. Sadly though this isn't the case, and it would seem only through luck more than anything that nothing more came of this.

13. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    It seems to me that the SPAD is the straw that broke the camel's back and NR were presented with all they needed to give notice of a ban.

14. TheLairdofNetherMoor

TheLairdofNetherMoor New Member

Laird
    For the sake of mainline steam, let's just hope that the folk at Carnforth have learnt from their previous dealings with Network Rail, don't dig their heels in, but play ball and quickly find a solution in the professional manner that will be required.

Sheff likes this.
  15. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
  16. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

17. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    I've just read the report and I'm frankly astounded......Seems they take a bit of a light view to operation and NR did the right thing.

18. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Kidsgrove 73, probably others. Southall may also be pertinent as it was a failure of an operator to maintain the AWS equipment.

19. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Network Rail write, "You are aware that Network Rail has had concerns about WCR’s performance of its Safety Obligations for some time and recent events lead Network Rail to believe that the operations of WCR are a threat to the safe operation of the railway. Specifically:

WCR’s senior management response to the recent SPAD at SN45. This ranked as the most
    serious SPAD that has taken place this year when the industry risk ranking methodology was
    applied;

The response by the senior management of WCR to the issues raised in the meeting of 30
    March 2015, where WCR demonstrated that its controls, communication and commitment
    following the recent SPAD were inadequate;

Network Rail also has serious concerns about the fact that WCR unilaterally suspended the
    response to Network Rail’s review of WCR’s Safety Management System undertaken in January
    2015. The review raised some serious and significant issues and there was no communication with
    Network Rail to explain that the response was being suspended"

I presume that WCRC responded to the incident in their usual arrogant and head in the sand manner with the inevitable result. The last point NR make is astonishing.

20. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    So, if WCR, cooperate with the actions that need to be addressed, the ban will be lifted, as early as the middle of, May.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.