If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WCME 24th January.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Q1

Q1 Member

Retired Civil Servant
    I was always told it was 'UP' to the headquarters of the railway company. Therefore in the case of the L&YR, Liverpool to Leeds trains via Manchester Victoria, they travelled on the UP line to Man Vic (HQ) and then on the DOWN line to Leeds.

2. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Only until 1868, then, no doubt to make the point that it was now like the other big railways with a London terminus, it adopted "down" from London to all points north, right to Carlisle with mileposts from St. Pancras. The West of England line remained "up" to Derby.

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A postscript on this trip. This was the first in 2015 when things didn't quite go to plan. By way of context and comparing 2014 with 2013, I've tried a 'quick and dirty' count using UK Steam of the number of charters that:
    - ran on the day with diesel and no steam at all.
    - ran on the day with a diesel that provided a considerable amount of the motive power (i.e. show pony charters).
    - ran but the locomotive failed at some point and the rest was diesel hauled.

What I have not counted are the number of times:
    - that the loco on the day was different from what was advertised.
    - when a diesel was in the mix for ETH/the occasional push.
    - when the trip was cancelled and didn't run at all.
    (Life's too short for that!)

For both 2013 and 2014 the total came to in excess of 40 (FORTY) trips. The largest proportion in each year was fire related. In 2013 it was the requirement to run with a diesel because of fire risk whereas in 2014 it was a diesel alone because of FBU action. But make no mistake, if you excluded all of these the figures would still have been sizeable. Oh, and in 2014 there was the famous instance of when the diesel failed on the stock at Oxford, the trip was cancelled on the day and Bittern went home.

I don't think I could describe any of that data as great news other than to say that in both years there was still a hell of a lot of steam on the main line and we should be pleased about that. But I think that what it does show is that each year there will always be an element of risk with steam charters on the main line and there's probably no point in going on about it. You pay the money, or not, and you take the chance.

4. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I agree with one proviso; the tour company needs to provide accurate information from the first and update the itinerary appropriately as circumstances change.

5. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

Anybody recognise the platform diver?

On his knees at 2.50 HERE.

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Now I've seen that any sympathy for the fella I might have had is gone..
    Beyond the "do not cross line", on his knees, hanging by the edge... The outcome was near inevitable... He's lucky to have cheated the Darwin awards there.

7. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Really surprises me the driver of the 47, does not hit the brakes, cant believe he did not notice this bloke trackside.

8. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Guy - the driving position is on the left hand side of a Class 47, like most diesel locos. He could not possibly have seen this fellow from that position.

Peter James

9. guycarr360

Was thinking more about the bloke in the rear cab Peter, he was platform side in the drivers seat, thought he may have noticed it, or does he have no control????

Its not a dig, just an observation.

10. 2J66

2J66 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you're expecting the crew of the 47 to do had they stopped the train? Climb down, put themselves at risk to walk back to the platform to give him a good "talking to" & also draw attention to the whole incident? Anyone in the back cab would have seen him move & also realise that there were plenty of folk on the platform to render assistance if it had been required. The idiot survived & we should all contemplate the huge fuss & reaction that would have occurred had he been severely injured, or worse.

11. guycarr360

I am sure they have some duty of care, if they see somebody lineside, however your line "draw attention to the whole incident", sums it up succinctly..

12. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    It may be my imagination but from the perspective I had of the videos it seemed that he rolled off the platform edge ands simply pushed himself as near to the platform underside as possible for safety then got up once the train had passed; if so a good piece of quick thinking under the circumstances although I agree he shouldn't have put himself so close to the platform edge in the first place ! However people in glass houses .... ; how often have you gone "out of bounds" for that better shot ?

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Well this weekend the impact was felt, so that video certainly hit the right desks in Network Rail.

3 Police deployed on the platforms at Carlisle (one policewoman placed firmly in front of the buffer beam of 46233 on arrival preventing people getting close and ensuring everyone was behind the yellow line in front of the loco).
    Several platform staff shouting insistently to stay behind the line and threatening to clear the platforms and to have people arrested and removed.

It felt a bit like a 1980s football terrace at times, it certainly impacted on the post arrival atmosphere.

On departure people were not allowed beyond the south end canopy end (i.e. behind the loco) on the departure platform.

Draconian, horse bolted, but tbh they are left with no choice... they cannot afford the risk of this happening twice.