If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Waverley and Balmoral

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by channel, Sep 6, 2009.

1. stan the man

stan the man Member

Had a good trip on Waverley today, weather could have been better though!

Stan

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

First time Ive had chance to see the Waverley, but it just quietly drifted past my place in the last 10 minutes.

Heres my best efforts on a moving target at night.

IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0132.JPG

3. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Is that Frank walking on water 20ft ahead of her waving a red lantern ? *******runs away to Southampton to see the Queen Elizabeth*********

4. Tyne Turbine

Tyne Turbine New Member

Well worth getting the camera out. In the past I have always loved travelling up through the Docklands at night as it is so amusing watching the inhabitants suddenly noticing the Waverley passing and rushing over to their windows and balconies for a better view.

Cannot have been Frank walking on the water, the witness has stated that the ship "quietly drifted past". Not much chance of him going to see a Vista in Southampton either, whereas I like traditional ships but would be quite prepared to accept a trip on the QE if anyone is offering.

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

i'm hoping to get a few daylight shots of her tomorrow, it's booked to go through tower bridge at 5pm and 5.30pm (so I guessing 445pm and 545pm at my place), but I noticed Friday isnt advertised on their website, but it's booked to go through Tower Bridge at 7.15pm, 8pm and 11pm on Friday night ?

As for walking on water.. I didnt see no body but there was a police speed boat 5 minutes ahead of it heading into the city pretty fast.

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Here's a couple of pictures of the Waverley heading downstream this evening just on sunset.

IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0184.JPG IMG_0190.JPG

7. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Awww come on - why haven't you seen her before? She's been coming south since 1978 "I know cos I was there" And as for where I would be if in the smoke it would either be at a PPrune bash for the beer or the Wong Kei - Thames cruising doesn't have the same scenic value as the Kyles or West Highlands

Whitelaw - just cos you are now a covershot man - when you can see what's in front of you then you can make comments - told you nought out of ten so far! three locations five appearances - I'll be giving you black looks if you don't spot it!

8. stan the man

stan the man Member

Ill have what ever his had, looks to be strong stuff.

Oh, and I will be sailing on Waverley again tomorrow. Woll any other NP members be on board?

Stan

9. Guest

Occasional
    Waverley now off Arklow on the Irish coast making a steady 13 knots northward for her final weekend of 2010. TPE permitting I shall be on board on Saturday to wish Jim McFadzean a happy retirement. We will miss him - greatly!

10. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    My wife and I were on board on Saturday and had a very good time, her first time on a steamer. Some photos at http://www.chappers.fotopic.net/c1906096.html including some of a retirement presentation to Jim whilst off Tower Pier and an old shot of her off the Isle of Wight as we were unable to see her approaching at Tilbury in the light.

11. Guest

Occasional
    Now off Belfast Lough - tremendous running

12. Guest

Occasional
    And at 21.50 passing Toward light - she's home in one!

13. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    She's been quite lucky in recent years with the run back home from what I can remember? Taking her from the Thames/South Coast direct to Scotland has definite advantages than the stopping off tin the Bristol Channel she used to do with only 1 weather window required.

Had a great weekend on the paddler, Jim will take some replacing . . .

Just a shame the Balmoral had such a short season this year - hopefully the success of her Thames sailings will play an important part in her 2011 timetable . .

14. Guest

Occasional
    I think the truth is that the utter stupidity of hanging everything on a few short weeks in the summer in the hope of good weather has been well and truly exposed.

Our ships missed the best of the weather this year, missed some amazing publicity and heritage events - Waverley should have been at Dunkirk 50 for example.

We badly scheduled some revenue earning possibilities - no-one wanted to sail out of the Tall Ships event so all those excursions were cancelled. The layover shouldhave been used to go to Whitby or Middlesbrough and sail in some more fare paying passengers.

Balmoral should have gone north about and fitted in some West Highland and West Coast sailings.

We don't know how to do premium fare sailings.

We don'tknow how to exploit the ships as destinations in themselves - Time for a few more personnel changes a bit further up the ladder???? Not half!

15. stan the man

stan the man Member

Would it not be beneficial if Waverley was to spend more time on the Thames? She always does well there and could also be used for some corporate work which is no doubt where the serious money lies?

I guess (hope) she will be London based during the 2012 Olympic games?

Stan

16. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

We had our first trip on the Waverley this summer from Ryde to Portsmouth and back. We went with my Mum and Dad who are regulars but this was their first trip this year. We selected a short cruise as we have a young daughter and a couple of hours is more than enough if things don't go quite as planned.

Firstly I must say the ship is lovely and a credit to all those that maintain her. My daughter was fascinated by the engines and I am sure she will now be a Chief Engineer.

We did enjoy the trip but there were certainly room for improvement in the customer service area.

At Ryde we were hearded on and off the vessel like animals, which is not very helpful when you have a pram and small daughter to carry. Unfortunately the rules were changed this summer to stop dogs travelling and so our party got spllit leaving my Mum behind on the pier with the dog. Good job we had mobiles! This change in the rules should have been highlighted in the timetable so we knew in advance.
    On board my wife (who is pregnant) was sat on deck and had to suffer smokers sitting beside her when they had to leave the bar to get their 'fix'. Ironically the insurance company doesn't see passive smoking a risk but possible dog bites are... It would be great if smoking was banned on the ship but if this is not deemed possible then a dedicated deck area should be provided so those that don't smoke can enjoy the trip from the deck.

Finally to regain time lost earlier in the day our cruise was cut 30 minutes short, with no apology, and we didn't visit St Helens anchorage which was the main attraction for me.

Will any of this put me off travelling on the Waverley? No but it will be a job to presaude my wife and if the ships are to thrive then they need to ensure that they attract as many passengers as possible.

17. Guest

Occasional
    Hunslets - I took the dog ban up with Graeme Hogg the chairman of Waverley Excursions when it was first made public and simply got ticked off for being "intemperate" He got ticked off in response for being insensitive to his market.

I utterly, utterly, disagree with this measure - especially when a promotional video for Balmoral published earlier this year shows o.a.p's in numbers aboard with their dogs

There are measures afoot to improve and target our marketing to better effect, but these appear to need removal of the "not invented here" syndrome to be adopted. At least if one of us with the idea can lodge it that is an improvement - even if it needs a multi millionaire to say it and get the message home

18. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    The Red Funnel book just published is very good. Some great pictures of the Bal in her full red funnel glory on the South Coast. Brilliant.

Perhaps she will wear her owners former colours for their 150th . . . ? And perhaps we can see the forward lounge restored as it has been for 60 years not the way it was for her 61st!

19. Guest

Occasional
    I have just sent out my digital Branch newsletter - if anyone wants a read in - let me have your email address by pm and you can have a look and decide if you want to stay on the books

20. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    I had planned to have a trip on the Waverley in September when we were on hoilday on the Isle of Wight. I couldn't believe my good luck when I saw that she was in that are for the same week that I was! However, my hopes were dashed when we got to Ryde Pier Head and saw all the notices to say that she wasn't going there!

However, I did get some distant glimpses of her the following Saturday when we were on our way home. She was a long way off and the weather was a bit murky, but with the telphoto lens and some drastic cropping, I have mamaged some second rate pictures and these, for what they are worth, are now on my Fotopic site. Here's the link for anyone interested to see them :

http://ronfisher2.fotopic.net/c1907221.html

They are, as usual, in the 'Stop Press!' collection for new pictures. In due course, however, I shall move them on to the shipping collection and you will then find them here :

http://ronfisher2.fotopic.net/c1823624.html

Hope that they are of interest.