If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Waverley 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Jul 17, 2014.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I understand that this Sunday, the steam haulage will be from Hellifield to Carlisle only, with the loco coming from Carnforth, so as 46115 is at York then it's ruled out.

2. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Presume either 45699 or 60009 will do the honours

3. grahamjenks

grahamjenks New Member

Tickets from RTC that arrived earlier this week advised it is 46115 doing the honours, no mention of it only joining at Hellifield, but confirmed that it will be diesel hauled on the return.

4. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Confirmed that the steam comes on at Hellifield but not sure what loco is coming from Carnforth .

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Probably sent out before the blanket ban in the York area.

6. grahamjenks

grahamjenks New Member

Hrm, printed before the ban presumably but not posted, they only arrived yesterday, so likely sent Monday or Tuesday after the weekend where 2 specials had already been stopped. I'm hoping they'll transfer my booking to another date as 1/4 of the mileage behind steam doesn't seem like good value - espically when its likely to be assisted over the long dag. We'll see tomorrow!

7. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    Footage of 48151 at Giggleswick with support coach , Hellifield station and finally Langcliffe with double assistance from two class 37s at the rear !

mountjoy likes this.
  8. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Plenty of power in this vid, good stuff Stephen

9. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Waverley 48151 1a.jpg

LMS 8F Class 2-8-0 No. 48151 works its way over Batty Moss viaduct with today's 'Waverley' rail tour

green five likes this.
  10. garstangpost

garstangpost New Member

11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Nice video but it really would have been made a lot easier for the Cl 37s if they hadn't needed to push that steam locomotive around.

12. bantam61668

bantam61668 New Member

Had a trip to Carlisle today, the 8F did very little work was more of a steam heat DVT today with the 2 tractors thrashing away on the back all the way.
    A couple of pictures here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bantam61668/

13. 26D_M

Without extending the debate in diesel assistance, the suggestion of using a Deltic on the sse as an attraction in its own right might work for the Waverley too if a diesel has to be used. Or another rare heritage type like 1015 or D345.

14. forty

forty Member

I don't doubt a different kind of traveller would be more than interested if a class 40/52/55 was used to replace the steam loco. Thing is WCRC doesn't own any so would I presume have to sub lease therefore eating in to the profits of such trains.....?

15. 26D_M

Isn't the Waverley an RTC job? While they take advantage of the wcrc sse loco at York it probably doesn't preclude other suppliers. Suppose it depends whether such a diesel would counter balance any adverse passenger reaction to assisted steam or 47/57.

16. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

I would not presume to comment for WCRC, but this particular chestnut keeps coming up. In accounting (and indeed real) terms, their own locos don't come free. In theory, and setting aside availability issues etc, WCRC should be indifferent as to the ownership of the loco, and as number of their competitors seem to have significant volunteer input, on the face of it third party loco hires could be financially positive for WCRC (if indeed WCRC as part of its services has to procure a loco for its customer). I think the calculation for WCRC however would be that having invested x00,000 (of their own money) in an overhaul, they will want as many income earning opportunities as they can get to amortise that cost, and they might as well direct the hire fee towards their own locos rather than someone else's, if they are in a position to do so. Which they may not be, as their role may simply to provide their services as an operator of a train (and the Waverley is an RYTC promoted trip according to UK Steam - on the face of it, WCRC operates many trains with non-WCRC motive power).
    It would be interesting to know though who (if anyone other than the end-user) takes what risks. Does for instance a fire ban (and a contract may have to define whether a fire ban is something that only NR can declare) mean that WCRC has then to provide a diesel, and it is then up to the promoter to decide whether to go ahead on that basis? In which case, they are presumably going to reach for the most convenient one which is almost certainly going to be a WCRC 37 or 47, as by definition a fire ban is likely to be last minute.

17. 26D_M

A prestige heritage diesel could form part of the advertising so that in the event of steam failure or ban customers would know what to expect and make their choice in booking accordingly. It may be a fairer proposition for customers in the long run.
    As as been said 55002 is based at York as a matter of course.

18. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

The loco from Carlisle last Sunday is preserved and hired in.....

19. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    Looks like the Waverley this Sunday ( 2nd Aug ) is steam from Hellifield again as there is a path from Carnforth in the morning and one for the return pm .

20. 26D_M

Probably an 8F job again then.