If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vulcan XH558

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Mike30A, Sep 27, 2010.

1. minty4371

minty4371 New Member

Unemployed
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Engine Damage Update.
    The failure occurred on Monday 28th May in the two port side engines (1 & 2) on the ground as the aircraft was easing towards full power at the start of her take-off roll. She is now back in her hangar where the technical team will investigate the problem. Our initial thought is that the symptoms are very much like those experienced when something is ingested by an engine so we will be investigating all possible sources. We would like to thank Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield (RHADS) for their immediate assistance and professionalism yesterday. We should have a more detailed report for everyone fairly soon.

2. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
    Todays update:
    The technical team spent yesterday (Tuesday) investigating the engine damage on XH558, to determine its cause and to start assessing the timescale and cost of rectification.
    We have already established that both engines No.1 and No.2 on the port side are sadly beyond repair, both having suffered blade damage and the effect of excessive heat.
    The primary cause of the damage has been determined to be ingestion of silica gel desiccant bags. The most likely sequence of events was that material was ingested by No.1 engine, which surged and suffered LP compressor blade failure. Debris was then sucked into No. 2 which then also failed.
    All relevant agencies and technical authorities have been informed. “We have been greatly reassured by the support from industry colleagues, and would like to thank all those who have offered help,” said engineering director Andrew Edmondson.
    We would also like to place on record our thanks to all at Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield for their swift and professional reaction on Monday, whilst also apologising to those affected by delays or diversions.
    In accordance with normal procedures, a formal investigation into the incident has been opened, chaired by the Chairman of the Trust’s Safety Review Committee.
    The technical inspection has so far showed that no airframe damage was sustained, with damage being limited to the engines. The next step is to replace the damaged engines with two from the Trust’s remaining stock. Timescales for a return to flight are not yet clear – we will of course update the web site with progress and give details in the e-newsletters each week.
    “We are deeply sorry that this incident has happened, and at this time in 2012. The additional unplanned costs are clearly very worrying as resources are, as ever very tight” said the charity’s chief executive, Dr. Robert Pleming. “We are actively working on a plan to recover our Jubilee season schedule and we will share this with you as soon as practical via the newsletter, Facebook page, Twitter feed and the web site.”
    With many thanks to all for continuing to support Vulcan XH558.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Where the hell did the silica gel bags come from? FOD comes in all shapes and sizes I know but that seems mighty odd.

4. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
    That's the question that's being asked on the Vulcan forum. It could be FOD, but silica gel bags are also used in the engine compartments, apparently they're the size of small cushions. The HUGE relief though is that the airframe wasn't damaged, just a shame that that's 2 out of just 8 engines now up the swanny, which leaves 6, if I remember rightly another one isn't usable but can't remember why, so that leaves just 1 spare once the damaged two have been replaced :-(

5. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Silica gel crystals are used to prevent moisture build up by absorbing the moisture in the air. It would make sense for them to be in the engines to keep them dry and free from corrosion, just not when going for a test flight. At least the damage is *only* to the engines, and not the air frame. Any idea how long a double engine swap takes on a Vulcan?

6. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Aware of the function of silica gel bags but as you say, not the best thing to be ingested by an Olympus at full chat. Given the rigorous pre flight checks that aircraft get, I do wonder how on earth they got in there.

7. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
  8. Spamcan81

Training moles
  9. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    They rather overshadow the ones you get in a shoebox don't they?

I really feel for the Vulcan project, this must be a terrific loss for them near the beginning of the main season and knocking two engines out permanently from what is a finite supply.

10. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    :eek:hwell: Hell, those are big bags. I was thinking more of much smaller bags than those, those are not easily overlooked. It will be an absolute sickener for all involved with the aeroplane, I know Martin Walker was absolutely gutted when Deltic 55022 threw a rod and ventilated the crank case.
    But, to all involved with it, it's happened , it can't un happen, pick yourselves up lads and get the thing in action again.

11. Birchwood

Birchwood New Member

Just caught up with this sad news about the damage to the 2 engines and the subsequent write-off of them.

If / when the maximum engine cycles are reached with the XH558 engines, could the taxi-able Vulcans engines be used to keep XH558 flying? (If released by their owners)

12. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
    The simple answer is unfortunately not. The remaining taxi-able engines are a different model to those used in XH558.

ADD: The engines in XH558 are Olympus 200s whereas the taxi-able ones are Olympus 301s which won't fit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Olympus#Olympus_200_series_and_Olympus_Mk_301

A pic of the two engines late last year:
    http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m523/peelp10/Doncaster/engine.jpg

13. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
    Latest update on engines (from todays newsletter Vulcan to the Sky Newsletter):

Work on fitting the two replacement engines is progressing well. Our engineering director Andrew Edmondson provided this update for us early this morning (Friday):

[​IMG]

“A week of hectic activity in the hangar has paid off as we are comfortably on schedule. Yesterday we passed a major milestone as the replacement no.1 engine went ‘on wing’ and today, no.2 is scheduled to be lifted into the airframe. Next week, the new engines will be connected to the aircraft systems: the fuel supply, jet pipes, alternators, hydraulic pumps, engine instrumentation and other ancillaries will be refitted. In parallel with this, we are working closely with Rolls-Royce to complete the approvals necessary to have XH558 released for test flights at the beginning of July.

One of the engines has just 64 hours logged since it was originally fitted to XH558 in 2007, making it virtually new. The other one is a pristine zero-hour engine: it’s basically a brand new Olympus that hasn’t run since the Rolls-Royce quality inspector signed the green ”Serviceable” label on the anti-icing pipe more than 30 years ago.

These are very high precision pieces of engineering, so caring for them over this time is a tightly-managed operation. The bags you have seen in previous weeks’ photographs provide a hermetically sealed environment that helps protect them. Every month, we’ve opened the bags and replaced the chemicals that absorb moisture. We have also rotated the shafts and replaced the special inhibiting oil that helps to protect the fuel system and its seals. In just over a week, we’re aiming to bring them both back to life!”

See the latest pictures and a video here:
    www.vulcantothesky.org/news/363/82/Latest-engine-pictures.html

14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Not XH558 but a clip of a Vulcan I've not seen before doing a barrel roll.....

[youtube]ffJ0WX1Xct0&start=35[/youtube]

15. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Avro test pilot Roly Falk at Farnborough. Amazing bit of flying.

16. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Amazing flying and good to watch. Thanks for sharing.

17. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Glad to see that there were two spare engines for this magnificent flying machine. I had lost touch since first hearing about this incident. Incidentally has anyone on this forum visited the Oshkosh air museum in Wisconsin? I will be holidaying with American friends in early September and they are thinking of ways to keep me entertained. A trip in a Ford Tri Motor appeals...........

18. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
  19. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
  20. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Hope someone gets some shots or video of that event...