If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

VSOE Luncheon Excursion:CLAN LINE 35028 July 8th.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by aperture, Jul 10, 2011.

1. aperture

aperture Member

Professional Photographer
    Well Im truly amazed Im the first person to mention about this trip on Friday..perhaps if I hadn't the whole thing could have been shunted into the sidings of our memories and forgotten about.
    Poor old CLAN LINE dear friend,we haven't deserted you,it is as though you didn't exist down in your Battersea shed.

Shortly,when you go for your general maintenance everybody will come to life asking what is to take your place on these VSOE trips.Amazing isn't it dear 028,everyone takes you for granted,when you are not around everyone starts putting up questions on this forum.

A Preservation member,and proud of it.

2. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Do you share the same amazement that we dont discuss every single Jacobite trip? If there's nothing to discuss, then discussion wont happen - thats not a slight on the loco or the people that operate her so well, if anything its a compliment.

Chris

3. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Maybe it's more of a case of CLAN LINE (or, more specifically, her owners) having deserted us, rather than the other way round.

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Now there's a comment with the potential for quite a debate. I'm sure the MNLPS will speak for itself on this if it chooses. All I know is that the members understand the business rationale. It's not by chance that this has led to an enviable locomotive condition, performance and reliability record (discounting the boiler management issue last year).

5. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Yes Alan. I have sort of supported the MNLPS stance. Or maybe I have just accepted that is what will be, and I can have no influence over it.

And with WCRC doing such a wonderful job with Tangmere, (come on James, stand up and take a bow, it's deserved), it is easy for us Bulleid fanatics to sit back and just accept than 35028 is largely out of our reach for travelling behind. And enjoy MN standard performances from Tangy instead. Except for next Saturday where I won't/can't book until I see the timings as (1). I would like something worth going for, and (2), I need a latish start as it's my eldest daughters wedding the day before!

I know that doesn't really answer the question of linesiders not starting a debate about the 8th July run. But in reality linesiders and travellers tend to be the same in many cases.

Maybe 35028 will totally slip into it's own little obscure life if reports on other Nat Pres threads are accurate, and we do see other mainline MNs before too many more years have gone past the mileopost.

Whilst I have made it clear in the past I would not get heavily involved financially in the UK steam scene, I have moved just a little from that to the point I would contribute modestly to a decent cause. And I would guess with all that may possibly happen elsewhere with MNs that would mean, in my case, I would probably turn my back if the hat came round to MNLPS members for 35028 if the current operation pattern continues.

6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Bryan

This is all fair comment. At present, Clan Line has virtually a monopoly main line MN life but when the original VSOE contract was set up I recall that the steam scene looked less certain in the UK - e.g. The RTC was mostly abroad. But it is now 2011 with SD and RTC on the rampage and Tornado, for example, showing that regular earning on more 'public' charters is a little easier to come by. As for Saturday, it'll be a waste of UKRT's time in securing the engine if we end up with a rubbish schedule. And neither will it please the Eastleigh DBS crews, who will presumably be working the train. Nothing more than 60 minutes from Woking to Salisbury will be acceptable! That said, now we are going around the houses to get to Woking, I can see us needing water somewhere really useful...like Grateley! LOL

Alan

7. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I agree that a water stop before Sarum will probably be needed. Winchfield or Overton are the usual water stops for this sort of itinerary, though '28 stopped at Grateley during her trip to Eastleigh in May 2009.