If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Visiting Shildon

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Rlangham, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

Hoping to visit Shildon now i'm living up in Leeds so i'm finally (well, relatively) local, plus a good chance to meet my grandad who I haven't seen for a long time as he lives near there. Unfortunately some of the website isn't working, so have a couple of questions;

Would I be right in thinking that there's a National Rail station within very short walking distance of the museum? Also, to get there from Leeds (so probably a change at Darlington?), would I pass through Darlington North Road? Ideally i'd like to stop off there on the way back

Also, is the North Eastern Railway ES1 BO-BO positioned without rolling stock couple up to it on one end, so it's possible to get a good 3/4 photo of it? Also, are tripods allowed in the museum?

Thanks for your help, and looking forward to a trip to the North East after a very long absence!

2. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

i sit behind my computer clicking on 'view active
    shildon is about 5 mins from shildon station, which is on the same branch as north road. i'd suggest getting the train to shildon, getting off at north road on your way back and walking through darlington to get to the main station. you shouldn't need to change trains between leeds and darlington but dont hold me to that. will you be visiting the tanfield at some point? it's coal train day in a few weeks

3. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

In addition to Mr B's travel details, NER No.1 is positioned at the head of a train, so you can get a shot of it, and no problem with tripods, loads of space.

Open 10-5 7 days a week until some time in October, when we go down to 10-4 and Wed-Sun opening.

Let me know when you're coming and I'll have the kettle on if I'm around.

Cheers
    Anthony

4. Anthony Coulls

Have just found out that we go to Wednesday to Sunday opening this next week - ie. 6 & 7th October we are closed.

Thanks
    Anthony

5. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    When travelling from Leeds you'll need to get off at Darlington Bank Top (which is the main station). Catch a Bishop Auckland bound train (usually from Platform 4 and 4a) to Shildon. This stops at North Road on outward and return journeys so you can get off.

6. Anthony Coulls

Pleased to say that as of 20th October, the main collection building, shop & cafe at Locomotion (but NOT the Welcome building and Hackworth properties) will be open 10-4 daily

7. Rlangham

Thanks everyone for your help, looking forward to getting some shots of No 1 - Anthony, are the Welcome building and Hackworth properties still open on Wednesday-Sunday? It'll probably be either a Saturday or Sunday visit for me. May take you up on the offer of a cuppa too if I get much notice of when i'll be visiting.

8. Rlangham

Despite hoping to visit over six months ago now, looks like i'll finally be making my first visit next week, looking forward to it

9. Anthony Coulls

Be warned, 30th April we will have power cut off to part of the site, so the main collection building will not be open - so I'm taking the chance to do a mega shunt to get 1247 and the GER saloon out of the workshop, but this will all be visible as the rest of the museum buildings will still be open - and shunting can be watched from behind a barrier, a rare chance to see lots of the toys outside!

10. Rlangham

Cheers, it'll definitely be before then, probably on the 29th actually

11. Anthony Coulls

I think I'll be in...at least my diary is clear, means a rare day to attack the paperwork. Come and ask for me!

12. Rlangham

Now shaping up to be a very busy week, so think it'll have to be Tuesday the 28th, fingers crossed!

13. Anthony Coulls

Ah... I now find I shall be at the SVR that day, never mind, enjoy!

Cheers
    Anthony

14. Rlangham

No worries - i'm presuming the ES1 is still in a good spot for photography? Shortly off out to buy a new camera and looking forward to trying it out

15. Anthony Coulls

Yes, try and get to it first, as there will be some work undertaken to it in the next few days starting tomorrow afternoon! Have fun!

16. Rlangham

Cheers, with a bit of luck I should be there just in time! I'll post the photos up when I get back, too.

Cheers, Rob