If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains 2024

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Leviathan, Oct 12, 2023.

1. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Just took train into Dainton tunnel completely unassisted, minimum 15. Would indicate other factors were at fault on Hemerdon.

2857Harry likes this.
  2. Michael Whitehouse

Michael Whitehouse New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Two vegetation strikes just ex Plymouth confirmed

3. Michael Whitehouse

Michael Whitehouse New Member

Have to carry diesel to Bristol now so will just be a heavier train. Plan still unassisted from there to Pddn. 7029 in excellent shape clear path and we won’t be hanging about

4. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Win for VT if they can prove that the vegetation caused the issue. Means they can shaft the delay money on to Network Rail then.

5. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Video I’ve seen sounded amazing. Proper job :)

acorb likes this.
  6. acorb

Some excellent running since, 7029 recovering all bar 5 mins of schedule. 49mph into Whiteball, very good 75mph out. Diesel appears just to be adding weight.
    Sounds fantastic accelerating away from Taunton.

2857Harry likes this.
  7. Steam Valley Productions

Steam Valley Productions New Member

Little video from yesterday’s trip to Cockwood Harbour for the Castle. Definitely worth the 2 and a half hour trip down South.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

I don't think there were any delay mins. The GW Penzance--Padd was 3 late Plymouth 3 late Taunton. The XC was on time Plymouth on time Taunton. The schedule and the shadowing diesel worked. Well planned for the contingency.

9. acorb

And we actually managed an early arrival into BTM, generous timings and some good running by 7029.
    We may not have broken any records, but Hemerdon to Bristol (West Jnc) non stop at a mid 50's average speed is a pretty good run in anyone's book!

3ABescot likes this.
  10. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

11. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

On Dainton I logged 18 mph at MP 218 then a slight slip and maybe 16 into the tunnel.

From St Davids (31 mph) to Whiteball (50 mph minimum) 21m 17s pass to pass.

St Davids to Temple Meads 78m 03s pass to stop incl signal stop outside Temple Meads 27s and clearance slacks at Taunton and Yatton.

White headlamps on the front!

12. Julian Jones

Julian Jones New Member

The Great Western 1Z48 Day 2 Plymouth - Bristol
    I sit writing this in the cool shade of the waiting room at Temple Meads. For some reason my battery charge pack, having been fully charged overnight, seems to have failed in traffic. After the excitement of the trip it is quite nice to sit here in the quiet and write this as my phone charges.

I made a point of going simply to say thank you to the driver who had brought us up from Plymouth, on arrival at Temple Meads. A highly respected railwayman, and our driver for the day, he deserves thanks for a great run and a highly professional recovery from a situation outside anyone’s control.

From reports posted by Michael Whitehouse, it seems issues with vegetation may be at play in causing this morning’s events at Hemerdon.

We had left Plymouth at 0930, with no cross country in front of us, and doubtless the fire was appropriately livened with our sure footed climb up to Mutley Tunnel, which we entered at 10mph.

Speed built steadily on the downgrade to the Plym Estuary, with the restriction across the swing bridge navigated at the regulation 60mph. A textbook start. The decibel levels rose and speed increased to a peak of 63mph as the gradient starts at the top end of Tavistock yard on the left handed curve through the site of Plympton station.

Speed decayed steadily, as it always does but with about half a mile to go we were down to 16 - we should make it. A final adjustment to the controls and the chimney beat got louder still. However, speed decayed further and just as we got towards the upper section of the straight (as seen from coach 8), the brakes came on. There was a valiant effort to keep going, but finally the end came. So near yet so far! Soon the loco began to blow off so it seemed that steam was not the issue. A restart on the climb proved impossible.

Clearly any thoughts of a challenge to 1964 or 2014 were now banished. However, what will really make this day memorable is the highly professional recovery by all concerned from a difficult situation.

And so it was, that with the 47 now attached to the rear, with all the procedures required to make that happen, we set off again only a shade over 30 minutes after stopping.

We had got back to 36 at Ivybridge and in the high 50s before we plunged into the depths of Marley Tunnel. Why was noticeable was that the pace indicated that the temptation for diesel assistance for the sake of it had been resisted. A lively run down to Totnes and soon we prepared to climb Dainton bank, meeting the lower foothills at around 50mph. Figures of 38mph at Combe Fishacre and steadily declining, when combined with the noise level from the Castle, led to a very strong inference that power from the diesel, if any was minimal. I wondered if I detected a little gentle assistance (but I might be wrong) as 7029 slipped entering the tunnel at about 18mph. A worthy performance which has already attracted justifiable praise on earlier posts - I agree!

Thereafter, a great run followed, another run along the sea wall in the sun, and some running in the mid to the upper 60s alongside the Exe Estuary before we were treated to a rare non stop run through Exeter.

Determined acceleration followed with a crew who seemed to want to make sure that there was a good run to remember. The climb up to Tiverton was taken in great style, with commensurate noise. Through Tiverton Parkway at 62, the rising gradients took us down to 50mph at the top of Whiteball - a great climb given the diesel seemed to be doing little if anything.

A lively run down to Taunton was followed by good running across the Somerset Levels and a final flourish of noise and power as we topped the climb to Flax Bourton.

A 6 minute arrival at Bristol and a Castle on chocolate and cream coaches basking in the sun at Bristol - what’s not to like?

No records may have been broken, but the professionalism in overcoming adversity, with enthusiasm undimmed at Bristol, was the real triumph of the day. To the crews, Vintage Trains and all concerned - thank you.

And now time for a sandwich before the run to Paddington…

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2024
  13. acorb

@Julian Jones Can confirm zero assistance from rear aside from getting us going again on Hemerdon. Indeed as we entered Dainton tunnel you could hear the diesel just on tick over.

Julian Jones likes this.
  14. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm if there is a platform speed restriction on the up mainline at Twyford as that is where I plan to see 7029 later? If there is then maybe Maidenhead of Slough.

15. D1004

D1004 New Member

I can confirm that the diesel driver was unequivocal that after Hemerdon no further assistance was given by the diesel. The contingency plan was smartly executed, arising delay is miniscule and we had a 5E arrival at BTM.

70000, 3ABescot, 16Ventnor and 4 others like this.
  16. acorb

And the diesel has now just been removed at TM.

Paul42 and Leviathan like this.
  17. 16Ventnor

16Ventnor Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Does that mean the diesel was on idling up Dainton or ‘carrying its own weight’?

18. horace

horace Member

19. D1004

D1004 New Member

It was idling

20. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It would have to take its weight in some form. Can't see how Clun would take the whole consist.