If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains 2023

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Leviathan, Dec 2, 2022.

1. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    7029 puts down the clag through Wilmcote on its first return run from Stratford. The second run was seen at a sedate pace on approach to Claverton

2. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    This trip is advertised as running on the 4th March to Didcot Parkway...

Private Charter for CBS Shareholders, run by Vintage Trains 5043 and 7029 Birmingham Moor Street - Didcot Parkway (break/rev) & return

Any more info on it? Yes I realise times wont be in until closer to the day but just wondered "CBS" ?? TV Company or record label? Private visit to Didcot Railway centre? Is it still running?

Thanks in advance if any info forthcoming

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  3. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

CBS = Community Benefit Society
    Basically the organisation that owns/supports/etc the Vintage Trains Limited company itself.
    I'm not sure of the exact structure but I'm sure one of the VT bods on here can explain it in more detail.

Western Venturer likes this.
  4. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Isn't it for the supporters of Vintage Trains who invested money to help finance the setting up of the TOC, a little reward for their financial support I believe.

Sheff and Western Venturer like this.
  5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Indeed, those who contributed to the share issue are being offered seats as part of the offer (myself included). Estimated time is 08.30 off Moor St.

This is a private train, however, Didcot is holding a 4 Castle event on the day, with a line up planned with the Tyseley pair and their own examples.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  6. Michael Whitehouse

Michael Whitehouse New Member

4th March is indeed the VT Community Benefit Society Special train for its founder members and no tickets are available to the public. However you are welcome to view and photograph the train (safely) en route. Final timings in STN not yet issued to us but expect Snow Hill departure around 8.30am with return by 6pm. The train will be double headed in both directions by 7029 and 5043. Didcot Railway Centre is open to the public, our locos will be turned and serviced there and they plan a line up of four Castles. We will repeat this spectacle at Tyseley on 17/18 June with 4079, 5043, 5080 and 7029. We will run a Welsh Marches Express with both our Castles double headed throughout on 13th May and tickets are on sale for that train and selling fast. Neither of these trains will have diesel assistance

Johnb, Leviathan, GOEdwards and 6 others like this.
  7. Michael Whitehouse

5043 was readmitted to the Rolling Stock Library today authorised to return to the main line. Test runs next week, most probably Saturday 25th February. Light engine to Stratford, loaded ecs to Leicester requested

Attached Files:

8. Michael Whitehouse

As at today 22.33 VTL have not been advised of the times of the Lickey Incline trains, so this is news to us I'm sorry to say and we will take this up with Network Rail in the morning as they usually tell us first (so we can agree/request changes). Once we have been informed of the facts we will update the website and notify passengers

9. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

Thanks for the clarification. It is surprising that they've been in NR's system for over a week but nobody bothered to tell you!

Wonder if the folks at RealtimeTrains could be persuaded to set up a way to alert VT for any new paths that appear with the TY TOC code!

10. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

And now, oh joy, the RMT have decided to strike on 18th March anyway, so that may well be good money down the drain if we can't even get there! :mad:

11. NathanP

NathanP Member

Sorry - misread previous post. Looks like it's just TOCs striking on that date so the Lickey trip should still run but, as has been pointed out, people using service trains to get there might not have much luck!

12. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

It's just TOCs on strike for the 18th so provided the signalboxes are manned the tour will still be able to run.

Paul42 likes this.
  13. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

Sadly for us non-drivers who rely on service trains to get there, it's almost a worse outcome than the tour being cancelled due to the strike.
    The tour is still running, so no obligation for VT to provide refunds (and I wouldn't expect them to, it's not their fault and they're still providing what they advertised). A flexible hotel in Birmingham for the nights before/after looks like it'd be £150-200 or more, plus additional cost of overnight dog boarding etc.
    Chiltern usually give up north of Banbury on RMT strike days, but I'm keeping fingers crossed that CrossCountry might still provide some sort of skeleton service, or we can find someone to give us a lift.

I just wish the unions and government would stop playing politics and sort out an agreement! There's a reason that, with this one exception, all other tours we've booked for this year either pick up from my nearest station or somewhere where I can stay with family!
    Also means no advance booking for any other leisure events until they're within the 2 week notice period.

BTW, as promised by Michael above, I've received an e-mail with the updated timings and the website has been updated.

14. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    The first trip I really want to go on this year. Where can I park in Birmingham?

15. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    Are the times for 4th March yet finalised? I plan to photograph it en route and then go to Didcot for the photoshoot.

16. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Nothing yet, Ive got two shots planned but need to finalise everything when times are published.

17. Michael Whitehouse

We plan to run the Lickey Incline trains as advertised. It may well be that passengers will need to drive into Birmingham…there is plenty of space in the Bullring car park (at a price)

Those of you considering going out to see 5043 on her test run, please note this is Friday. The run on Thursday is a diesel crew training trip

Nick Gough and GOEdwards like this.
  18. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    Yes, but the point is that passengers for the tour may have problems getting to it if their trains aren't running. I don't know if the Bullring car park will be able to accommodate, say, 200 extra cars then!

19. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Plenty of parking in Birmingham centre , or there are bus options from outskirts into the centre too

20. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    It's possible the strike won't force many, if any, passengers to abort, but it's very unfortunate as I imagine a fair few will be coming quite a long way and non-train options may be far slower and/or unavailable to them. Fingers crossed.