If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains - 2021

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Will RL, Dec 16, 2020.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I've just been looking at that, which fortunately one can without having a Facebook account. This is December, isn't it, not 1st April?

I note these bits:
    "Loathed by some and loved by many". Shouldn't that be loathed by most, tolerated by a few, and loved by very few if any?

"These three sets come in very good condition, forced out of service with Northern Trains early as a result of Covid-19." Hang on! Weren't they supposed to be withdrawn a year ago, and kept in service for this year only because of delays to replacement stock?

"Enthusiasts will undoubtedly crave a ride ...". We will???

green five likes this.
  2. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Seriously there will be some sadists that will, I knew someone who flagged 37419/425 on the Norwich Yarmouth’s for a trip to Ely on an EMT 158 they needed.

3. Sam 60103

Sam 60103 Member

158's and 170's have long been thought of as not great in Scotland. I once spent more than 8 hours (4 hours there and 4 hours back) from Inverness to Wick on a 158. The quality of scenery was fantastic, however the less said about the 158 the better although at least it didn't break down. Apparently the reliability of the 158 on the far north line is not great and has been a concern for years. I wish services north of Inverness were still worked by proper traction such as a Class 37. I believe 1993 was the last time 37s worked north of Inverness but correct me if I'm wrong.

4. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

Will VT’s comeback train in March therefore now become ‘The Magic Roundabout’ (after the well-known 1960s BBC tv series) and the Pacer involved be named ‘Bouncy Castle’?

5. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

;)
    Having read some of the comments about the springs on the units perhaps a more suitable name would be the Zebedee Express;)Boing, Boing.

(Noticed how I managed to include an Albion reference there @Matt37401;))

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Matt37401 likes this.
  6. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

Time for bed!

7. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

They worked the Kyles in 1992 and I think 1993 (my Kyle trip that year was on the Wednesday diagram with 26s), but the 156s had taken over the Far North before 1992.

I can’t speak for reliability, but I’ve very fond memories of cantering up the south side of the Dornoch Firth in a 156 in the early evening in summer 1993.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Sam 60103

Sam 60103 Member

My far north drivers eye view from 1991 has a 156 working on the far north line. They worked as a pair before splitting at Georgemas Junction with one 156 going to Thurso and the other to Wick.

9. Will RL

Will RL Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    A little ask for help...

VT are still hoping and planning for a return to service in March, and as a community orientated company I’d like to ask if anyone from Nat Pres is able to help with a project.

For use on upcoming route guides/brochures, would anyone be willing to help supply high resolution photos of 5043 on the Shakespeare Express, or 7029/45596/6233 (preferably, but not essentially, on mainline routes undertaken as part of the upcoming program). Full credit will be given to those used. Please PM me if able to help.

TIA

10. tnxrail

tnxrail New Member

Warehouse Operative (Parcels)
    Websites back up https://vintagetrains.co.uk First Main tour's from August, Shakespeare Express July and Open Day October and more details on site unless things change.

LittleRedTrain likes this.
  11. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Not wanting to sound like the Dog from the Churchill adverts but "Ohhh YES!!!"

Fingers crossed for VT that something close to normality can return and with it what appear some good looking tours.

I must say that it is FANTASTIC to see that they intend on running not just one but two Lickey Banker tours (9466 providing the shove) with different Castles on the same day - that really is something amazing and I hope that the tours are well supported.

Now to await feedback from my usual travelling companions to see if the proposed dates are good.

All the tours on the website - https://vintagetrains.co.uk/

Will RL likes this.
  12. sir gomer

sir gomer New Member

A fantastic offering from VT I feel. Particularly like the two Castles to Melton Mowbray. Loved the Melton job with 5043 and 9600 so now to repeat it with two Castles sounds fabulous. Cannot wait for the return of the Earl. The finest of them all...

13. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

Had a voucher from last year's cancelled trains burning a hole in my pocket so have booked one tour already!

Tempted by the Lickey runs but without any indication of proposed timings, it's hard to tell whether they'll be do-able in a day from home using public transport, or will require an overnight stay.
    Chiltern's last train from Brum is annoyingly early on a Saturday night!

14. NathanP

NathanP Member

No single bookings though. I was worried about this, they've gone the Saphos route. I would book on every single one of those tours if I could.

15. BrillTramway

BrillTramway New Member

Lovely to see them back, but why can they not provide outline tour times, all the other operators manage this feat, but for some reason VT never do, which if your trying to get to them is a nightmare for planning especially if you have to travel far. I would of thought that they would be able to offer an idea of the time they hope for but alas it is sadly missing from the lovely new website.

16. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I must admit just a rough idea would be useful. For example the castles on the Lickey, the morning train is fairly self explanatory, but in the case of the afternoon train it’s a bit more fluid, especially when the Pullman option includes an evening meal which makes me think it’s an evening run rather than afternoon as described. Given the train is in November it also has a bearing on if the second run is in the dark.

17. sir gomer

sir gomer New Member

The Harringworth tour from Melton to Corby and back offers standard for £29. A bargain for guaranteed 7029 one way and 5043 the other!

18. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

Will the policy of how vintage and saphos trains change after the full easing of restrictions after the 24th June be changed by these 2 T.O.C. about not been able by saphos and vintage trains not accepting single bookings and a minimum of 2 passengers per booking and the mandatory wearing of facemasks whilst onboard a carriage?
    Davo 56F

19. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Sorry but you really will have to try that question again and possibly ask someone who knows like Saphos or Vintage Trains.

20. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

My guess is that the operators are playing it safe, insisting on social distancing and masks on all future trains for now, until they are 100% sure that they are no longer going to be required.
    Far better to do that than assume that they can fill the train to capacity, only for restrictions to be extended beyond June for whatever reason, and having to choose which passengers to disappoint.
    Presumably if the restrictions are relaxed before the trains run, they could then open up more seats for booking.

At least VT aren't insisting on a mandatory 'table for two' supplement for groups of two people, unlike Saphos.