If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains 2017

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

That doesn't sound too good. What's the source of your info, @Kylchap ?

BTW - the loco wouldn't need to be turned since the tour arrives from Didcot, to the south, and departs northwards to Evesham, but the train does need to be stabled out of the way somewhere that the loco can be serviced, normally in the "up and down passenger loop", immediately south of the station on the east (up) side.

2. NathanP

NathanP Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Received a letter in the post saying it had been cancelled due to electrification work on the Great Western Mainline preventing them from servicing 5043 during the layover. Bit of a blow, as it means there won't be a Castle going up Sapperton this year.

3. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    If, as is now indicated, the cause of cancellation does indeed prove to be constraints affecting the ability to service 5043,and if these constraints arise from issues relating to access to or the availability of the UDPL south of Oxford station (or any other location in the vicinity of Oxford station), and/ or if these constraints have arisen because of programmed (as opposed to emergency) work in relation to the planned extension of the GWML electrification from Didcot to Oxford, then how come this wasn't known about when the dates of the Welsh Marches and Cotswold Explorer were re-jigged in mid August, rather than today, with 8 days to go before the tour is due to operate?? That, incidentally, is intended as a question and moreover a question predicated on the basis of two or maybe three ifs. It definitely isn't intended to infer any kind of accusation, criticism or derision directed at any of the stakeholders involved - especially as confirmation of the facts isn't yet forthcoming from VT.

But it does seem to be a fair question to ask. And again, strictly as a question, what does all this say about the state of communications between NR, TOC and VT?

The mention by Steamage of the use of the UDPL is a rather telling reminder that as and when the area and the loop is wired, then however convenient this may be as a watering location, tender-top access to the coal isn't going to be possible and I wonder where suitable alternative locations might be identified either within or beyond the Oxford station area layout. All or most VT trips heading to/ from the GWML seem to use this loop at the moment for watering/ servicing, together with many other excursions originating from the London area, so geographically and operationally, it has considerable strategic significance. Just another question, I guess, about how things are going to work out with steam on the Big Railway in the years/ decades to come, and especially in and around the newly electrified GW routes.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  4. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    Such a shame, always look forward for the Earl to be storming up the gradient on Sapperton, I’m sure Vintage Trains looked at all possibilities, maybe a stop over at Didcot for the day but that may have caused issues as well.

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

That doesn't bear thinking about. There are already warnings as appropriate, in Special Traffic Notices about steam locomotives in tunnels where OHLE is situated due to flash-over concerns. Is not Sunderland now off limits for that reason? And then there are the restrictions to do with the use of long fire arms under the wires plus, of course, the added difficulty of pulling coal forward in the tender.

Sadly it's all part of the increasing incompatibility of steam with the modern network, especially for a few GW loco classes.

6. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The Cath Ex on the same date has been cancelled due to works on the Great Western Mainline.

From SD Website : -

Statement from Network Rail - Friday 6 October
    We need to carry out this work as part of the drive to electrify the line to Didcot and enable new electric trains to run between there and Paddington.
    We are aware that this weekend work has unfortunately meant the cancellation of charter heritage train runs, and we sympathise with those who had planned to enjoy those rides.
    Whilst we take great pride in the railway’s history, we need to build for the future, and we hope that those who have been inconvenienced will understand the importance of this.

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I think that NR's hands are tied on this in that should they have to carry out engineering work (that might involve the resident TOC having its trains adjusted) then they are required to give all available network space to that TOC. This means deleting all charters, steam or otherwise. I believe that with the problems at Waterloo over the summer and the knock on effect into September, that was why the ACE had to leave from Victoria and couldn't depart from Waterloo even if it were possible to do so.

8. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Just received the following from VT via e-mail:
    "We are pleased to confirm that the steam portion of our Cumbrian Express over the Settle & Carlisle Route including the famous Ribblehead Viaduct on Saturday 21st October, 2017 will be hauled by ex-BR No: 45690 'Leander'."

9. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    This is due to emergency (unplanned) engineering works which will close the line at Reading for electrification testing on 14/15 Oct. Very few replacement train services have been planned due to the very short notice given by Network Rail, with most trains replaced by buses. Paddington-Swansea and Paddington-Bristol services will start/terminate at Oxford instead of Paddington. Hence presumably no room at Oxford to accomodate 5043. All GWML specials have been cancelled.

10. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

A lot of IF's there. I assure you that communication between NR, WCR, VT and the franchise operators whose territory we plan to use has never been better. This was a late possession taken at approx 2 weeks out. We were notified by GWR that the sidings where we planned to stable and service (no turning required) would be the terminating point for GWR Bristol services and hence we could not be accommodated. It was unfortunate, but in the circumstances not a lot could be done.

We plan to run the same Cotswold Express in April 2018 with 7029 'Clun Castle'

11. Ben Vintage-Trains

Confirmed Timings are now on the website. Tickets will be in the post in the next few days. It's an early start from Tyseley, but for Tamworth, Derby, Chesterfiled and Swinton, its quite acceptable.

12. IamDaniel

IamDaniel Member

Ben, are you planning on running any tours out of London next year?

13. Ben Vintage-Trains

We tend not to run any tours from the capital as it requires lots of ECS moves and overnight stays. We do run some very civilised tours from Birmingham such as Welsh Marches that can be joined from London via Chiltern Railways.

14. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

And your website does now show provisional times, allowing potential customers from outside the Birmingham area to assess the practicality of getting there and getting home.

acorb likes this.
  15. NathanP

NathanP Member

As reported in the current issue of Steam Railway magazine, 4965's sole mainline excursion this year will be a dining circular on Friday 17th November. This has now just appeared on the VT website. The SR article quotes Ben as saying that they have to take the Hall out at least once this year in order to keep it on the register, and this is a route that they know it is definitely gauged for.

16. Will RL

Will RL Member

17. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Believe me, that is a benefit of electrification....

GWR4707 likes this.
  18. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    What's happened to the tickets for the Rambler on Saturday? Haven't had ours yet.

19. NathanP

NathanP Member

Nor me. I'm assuming they're waiting for confirmation from SVR of the exact timings and how long the stop in Bridgnorth will be etc. I won't start worrying unless it gets to Thursday and they haven't arrived!

20. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Nor me, either. We are leaving Cornwall on Friday morning to do the Valley Rambler trip. Hopefully, my credit card statement showing the payment to Vintage Trains will suffice if worst comes to worst.