If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Carriage Survey

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Stewie Griffin, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

I tried to get into the (rather excellent, I may add!) Vintage Carriage Survey this morning through a Google search (I forgot the address!), and it came up with a warning 'this site may harm your computer'.

Being a bit of a Luddite when it comes to this here Interweb thingy, does anyone know if there's a problem with the site (ie: has it been infected?), or alternatively if its just Google being a bit shuffly about photos of hardcore carriage grot and I can access it without worrying?

Many thanks

2. pcgenius9

pcgenius9 Member

IT
    Yes I get the same message. Rather odd as it was ok the other day. It may have been flagged due to their server being compromised but I really don't know. I recommend one of the guys from the site investigate!

3. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
  4. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

annoying though

edit, my virus software also prevents me going onto it

5. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I suspect that while Google says "...has identified this site as one which may install malicious software...." what they actually mean is "... this site has not been checked by us for not installing malicious software...." which is a somewhat different kettle of fish. It may be that the VCT can amend their site in a way that stops the Google message, but obviously they need to know about the problem.
    Can I suggest someone drops them an e-mail?

Regards,
    John Webb

6. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    They are infected.
    The way this works is that googlebot whilst indexing all sites, checks for this stuff.
    And will mark it up as dodgy.
    DON'T EVER CLICK proceed anyway.
    If you have websites and FTP accounts on your computer, it will upload it's self to all your websites. Infecting them and so on.

7. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Just to add, the owner will have to register with google website tools and then ask google to re index their site, if safe it will clear the warning.

8. I will speak to the VCT chairman later on in the week about this as i will be seeing him shortly

9. Fraser

Fraser New Member

I too have encountered the same warning. Upon conducting some investigation into the matter, the problem appears to be 2 scripting exploits, although the nature of the exploits is not specified. I have scanned the VCT website using several different pieces of software, all of which confirmed that the website was clean. The problem may therefore only relate to the Carriage Database rather than to the VCT website as a whole, though again there is no evidence to suport this.

10. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Ok, to stop any unfound rumours or speculation from circulating, this is the situation.

""Our web hosting service (One and One) believe that our website has been infected by a hacker. It's not surprising that we should be targeted, as we have a wide-reaching audience.
    The only viable way to recover is to delete the entire website, and reload from a recent backup. The most recent backup of the entire site is 1 April 2010, although we have more recent database backups. This reload will not be quick, because of our large volume of data.
    All development and test websites will be unavailable for probably the next week. Passwords may be changed.
    Please stop all on-line editing from now. Be aware that images which have been uploaded since 1 April may be lost.
    The infection may have been innocently uploaded by one of us, but not necessarily so. For this reason, I would advise all those who update to do a virus check on their own computers.
    Sorry that the news is not better."

Its since been discovered that no data or images have been lost which is a great relief.
    Please be patient while this is sorted as quickly as possible. Should be very soon.
    Steve

11. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Thanks Steve, and to all for your help. As I say, I only ask as a bit of Luddite on techological matters; if I can't fix it with a hammer then I struggle to work it out!

12. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Reading this old thread, I am afraid to say that it appears the same has happened again. I tried to get onto the VCT page and was warned that malware was present. A link was provided to show me exactly what the problem was:

Mal/Iframe-F - Viruses and Spyware - Threat Analyses - Threat Center - Sophos

Not something I understand I'm afraid, but could someone seeing this please forward it onto those who can do something about it?

13. cav1975

cav1975 Member

When I go to Google and search either "vct survey status" or "vintage carriages trust" I get a normal search result with no concerns and working links, maybe you have an isolated problem.

14. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I also just went on the site without problem or warning. That is via a google search.