If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Video critique

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Neil_Scott, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Maybe you should stick to the latter half of your post, then this thread wouldn't have appeared...

Lewis

2. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Well that's the problem Lewis, not everything is brilliant. If you can't deal with this then don't read my posts, simples.

3. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    FINALLY, some advice!

Lewis

4. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Well Mr Scott , tell me why its such a bad composition then but I reckon if you had taken the same shot from the same location on a long camera lens you would be lording it . All I do is post videos for others to enjoy and I can see your point of view but I cant get my head round why you would watch my video and then slag it off ( either watch or not or say nothing ) Steve

5. Neil_Scott

Railway servant
    It's quite simple Steve, when you pull back to use a wider angle setting as the train passes I think the composition weakens with the train disappearing behind the wall/embankment.

6. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    That will do for me. I THINK .

7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

One of the interesting points about this thread is not the offence taken by the photographer (who has taken it well and thank you for that Stephen) but by those who have gallantly charged in to their defence . The result is the mountain we now have and like any good melee everyone wades in with an opinion (myself included !! (before anyone points this out)) . People like Fred and Lewis have merrily waded into the fight when when you actually read Neil's note his observation is not unfair or overly critical . The first part is great and then as you hope for that flourish as the train passes , the zoom out reveals that the train is lost . As someone said maybe even cut some of the wide angle out.

Now the quality of video and stills submitted through Nat Pres has gone up significantly over the last few years and every weekend I find there are those whose work is a pleasure to watch and I look forward to clicking on the link . Hopefully that body of work gives something for others to aspire too . I also think it would be a shame if people couldn't critically appraise the work submitted , and at times it's our choice of words that lets us down . We end up spending too much time defending anothers honour than actually asking does he have a valid point

1 person likes this.
  8. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

You too have completely missed the point, the title of the thread was "Buxton Spa 5/11" not "Video and Photo Critique" there are dedicated photography forums all over the net where members
    can post their work actively looking for constructive criticism, this though is a RAILWAY forum for christs sake.

9. Sidmouth

Stuart

the point is not missed . BUT if something is in the internet domain then irrespective of under what banner it's presented comment can be raised . If all the comment had been brilliant , marvellous , stunning , great shot ........ we wouldn't be here and the photographer would be basking in the glow on un-asked for commendations

You would be equally be surprised at how tetchy people get on so called photography forums when someone dares to say something against an image

10. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

but this isn't a photography forum it's a RAILWAY forum where members share photos and videos of steam excursions etc. for the benefit of the members not for some self proclaimed expert to criticise.

My fear is that members will stop posting videos/photos because of this and that would be a sad day.

11. Sidmouth

Stuart

Hopefully there is a strong enough sense of community on here for that not to happen . As i've tried to say most of the reaction is from others and not Stpehen

If everyone is happy I'll lock this thread in the morning . Thanks for all the constructive debate that has taken place

12. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    For me it wasn't so much what he said but the way he said it. If, as so many have said, the video had been posted in a competition for judgement then maybe it would be acceptable. But in this context most of the positive feed back was just thanks for the sharing of the moment with those of us who weren't there, rather than any attempt at critical acclaim. So this being the case Neil Scott's comments came across to me as churlish.

13. Neil_Scott

Railway servant
    I don't think that was the case at all. Many of the comments were not just about thanking Stephen for taking the video but about the techniques and composition that he used

14. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    Thank you to all who enjoyed my said video of the Buxton Spa but from now on I will not post any of my footage on the forum but will use others available . Thanks again for all the kind comments since I have posted any of my shots . Regards to all my friends , Steve

15. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It's my opinion that the original post has achieved what it set out to do - make of that whatever you will.

Steve, are you REALLY going to let one person's 'opinion' stop you posting video here?

16. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Sidmouth noted :

People like Fred and Lewis have merrily waded into the fight when when you actually read Neil's note his observation is not unfair or overly critical . The first part is great and then as you hope for that flourish as the train passes , the zoom out reveals that the train is lost . As someone said maybe even cut some of the wide angle out.

I agree with your note Martin but - as Swiss Toni and others have pointed out - this is NOT the forum for criticism. Whether Neil agrees or not this is simply a thread where linesiders display their offerings without seeking praise or comment. I agree that many will make a comment such as "Great sequence" "Like the location" "Hell - that was grim weather" and so on but there is no need for comment on technical matters and THAT is the nub of many posters on this subject. Neil is perhaps a little younger (naive?) than many whose work has been posted for entertainment - not critique - and perhaps he needs to learn that internet forums need to be treated with some circumspection; if you wish to offer critique make sure it is on an appropriate forum thread and NOT one which is purely for ENTERTAINMENT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.