If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Victoria to Hastings: 22/06/19

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by bonniville, Jun 22, 2019.

1. CLN_WVR

CLN_WVR Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Couple of shots from Hooley (take a set of steps with you to capture shots from here, I stood on my motorcycle after the step stool I had with me proved inadequate)
    Oh and could have done with her running 5mins late as the sun would have been on the overbridge if she had been... doh!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crawley Ben and 73082 like this.
  2. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

now just imagine that, there was an Southern U Class at the head , and if my memory is right, were some shedded at Eastbourne ?

CLN_WVR likes this.
  3. 73082

73082 Member

A few from me taken between work commitments. Glad to have some sun after a positively damp week, the result was a lack of exhaust but you can't have everything! Shots (in order) are Purley Downs Road, Crowhurst Lane crossing, and Redhill.

44871 Purley Downs Road 22.6.2019.jpg
    44871 Crowhurst Lane 22.6.2019.jpg
    44871 Redhill 22.6.2019.jpg

4. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for posting. It was great to see some main line steam in this part of the world and a big thanks to everyone who made it happen. If you wanted exhaust - and sound - the place to have been was the bank from Etchingham to Wadhurst Tunnel on the return leg. It is a bit of a green tunnel, but I found one fairly open spot at a foot crossing about two miles south of Wadhurst and was quite surprised not to have any company. The sound was utterly amazing. In fact, when I first heard a noise in the distance, I thought there was a helicopter around as it was SO loud. Then I realised it was 44871. I've never heard a Black Five being worked so hard (even though 33207 was giving a shove from the rear) and as for the exhaust - incredible! Regrettably, I'm one of those types that still enjoys my film camera otherwise I would have posted the picture here. There was also a decent exhaust at Southerham Bridge just south of Lewes although I was not surpised to be on my own here - the constant sound of traffic on the A27 Lewes Bypass means that it's not the best of places for sound recordists, to put it mildly!

Wadhust may not have the same ring with enthusiasts as Sapperton, Shap or Ais Gill, but it's a pretty fierce climb from the Rother Valley up into the heights of the East Sussex High Weald. It makes you realise just what good engines the Schools must have been and also how competent the Bricklayers arms and St Leonard's crews must have been to work this curving, steeply graded route day in day out with large-wheeled 4-4-0s.

alastair likes this.
  5. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    CLN_WVR and 6026 King John like this.
  6. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Very belatedly, here is 44871 on the climb to Wadhurst Tunnel on 22nd June . 44871 near Wadhurst small.jpg , taken from a footpath crossing about a mile south of the southern portal.

CLN_WVR likes this.