If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

VIA Rail in the Basement

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by SG-Canada, Jan 10, 2013.

1. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I wasn't sure where best to post this, so i'm going to post it here, thought it could also go in the Modelling Section. I think here because while its technically modelling, it is international and it is done using bits of real passenger car that was on the verge of being scrapped.

Jason Shron, founder and president of Rapido Trains, a manufacturer of Canadian-Specific and correct model railroad equipment has for the past four and a half years been building a section of a CN/VIA Rail coach in his basement to form the lounge area for his to be built model railroad of the Kingston Subdivision between Spadina St yard and Brockville Ontario and set in 1980. His layout will be a rarity in North America, with passenger service being the forefront rather than freight and switching operations. He posted a video of the completed coach (linked below), and has since been on several TV news shows on Global TV and CBC and in a couple of newspaper articles

Rapido Video:
    [video=youtube_share;YjMnWdIWjWs]http://youtu.be/YjMnWdIWjWs[/video]

Toronto Star Article & Video:
    Thornhill train lover builds life-sized VIA coach in his basement - thestar.com

Global TV Video:
    Global National - Man replicates train car in basement - YouTube

CBC The National:
    One man's train obsession - The National - CBC Player

Hopefully I'll be able to report back sometime in person on a visit to Jason's basement, though as i gather Rapido Trains is moving offices at the moment and using the basement as a temporary office during the move, that may be a down the road prospect.

Cheers,

Stephen

2. athelney

athelney Member

Retired warranty administrator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks Stephen , also saw this on our local Global channel last night , great to see parts of the VIA coach saved - novel place to put it for sure .

Richard