If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Using OS maps to find photo spots

Discussion in 'Photography' started by pete2hogs, Jun 3, 2009.

1. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

What is the situation these days regarding footpaths on OS maps? The ones marked in black, not the 'rights of way'. Is one liable to be accused of trespass if following one? Most also have a green right of way marking, but some don't. If we can't use them, what's the point of having them on the map?

2. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

Those black dashed lines are to denote a physical track on the ground, they do not normally have right of way and are usually farm tracks.
    Why put them on the map? well it's is the cartographers job to show all physical landmarks.

3. Not sure what scale of OS map you are referring to, but the basic mapping principle is the same. Rights of way do not always follow a "footpath". And a footpath does not always have to be a right of way. They can be two different things. The depiction of "non-rights of way" footpaths on maps are invaluable to those working on the land, or for simple navigation/map reading, or for areas covered by access to the countryside where rights of way by foot do not need to be shown in detail. Maps show churches but we don't have to use them! Better to have features shown than not

Steve
    (cartographer and map user)

4. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

Try using google earth as an aid to finding photoshots aswell as OS Maps. Although some of the pictures may be a few years old, it can show you wether you have clear view of the tracks

5. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We have been using Windows Live local to find video spots for a couple of years now and very useful they are.Some of the country side maps are not very clear but still good.I found this site recently,it gives you a map on one side of screen and aerial view on the other.
    http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

As you click on the bridge you want on the map the aerial view moves to that place aswell.
    Hope its useful to somebdy.

6. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

Thats a nice site.

7. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks Neil,yes we are using it more and more.Shirley is compiling a photo spot list from Bristrol to Kingswear using this,screen shots of the location and directions,parking etc.I will post link on here when its up and running.We will keep adding locations as and when.

8. Columbine

Columbine Member

For several years now I've been using the photos reproduced in the steamy mags to indicate where good spots are and then finding them on OS maps. The use of Google Earth as a subsiduary tool is a good idea. I then transfer the info to a 1:25000 scale map (Explorer series) as cross treasure map fashion. I then use Google Earth to find good parking spots nearby and transfer that data to my satnav. On my next visit to the railway I go and explore!

My understanding of the depiction of footpaths is that the black pecked lines indicate a 'non-public' footpath. A green pecked line indicates a footpath that is available for public use, but that use has not been made permanent by the landowner and may be withdrawn, and the bold green pecked lines are public right of way footpaths. Hope that helps.

Even though a footpath is a designated public right of way you may find that a landowner may block it and argue that the map's wrong! There is public footpath leading south from the Sharpthorne Club at West Hoathly on the Bluebell that is currently blocked and there is a notice that the land is private. Similarly, it is possible to find the opposite case where the landowner doesn't mind at all if you use non-public footpaths for innocent travel.

Regards

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Ive used google maps a number of times, but one that helps is multimap.. it gives elevations as well as foot paths, but google can be useful to confirm.

Google will only get easier with street view.

10. Almost right, Columbine! On 1:25000 OS maps, the black pecked lines indicate a "footpath". If part of that footpath is also a right of way, the green pecks will be superimposed on top of the black pecks. There are four types of rights of way, each with a different green symbol (footpaths, bridleways, byway open to all traffic, and restricted byways), each can be used on foot.

One problem with using OS maps is that the rights of way information is gleaned from statutory maps held and maintained by local authorities (at least, for England, not sure about Scotland or Wales). And some local authorities are not particularly good at maintaining their maps or at making the information available to OS on a regular basis. So, although the OS map may show rights of way, beware, it may be wrong or out-of-date. OS do not check the information in the field.

Steve