If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Use of the Definite Article, ex FS thread.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Groks212, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Sometimes I suspect they delight in doing this just to wind up gricers and 'trainspotters'.

2. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

M'yes, but that would imply a modicum of intelligence being present. From some of the tabloid rantings one sees, it's probably just as well that breathing is an automatic function, else quite a few 'journalists' would be in serious trouble...

3. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

No. Generally they know what they're doing (PPE degree at Oxford as standard) and are manipulating the views of their readers in order to facilitate the perpetration of political control by the financial elite.

CH 19 and andrewshimmin like this.
  4. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

A Degree doesn't guarantee having life experience or common sense though. I have sailed with someone who had achieved a cornucopia of academic successes, including a PhD - but was totally clueless about basic, practical things. Example - cutting through a securing device clearly marked with a symbol of a pair of scissors inside a red circle, with a red bar across the circle. A Prohibition sign, if you will, similar to road signs of that ilk. When, during the course of the investigation, as this act had cost the Company a lot of money, I asked him what he thought that this symbol meant. He correctly said that it shouldn't be cut with scissors. Sadly, he then went on to say "But Chief, it's OK, because I cut the strap with a knife". This bloke was a Brit, by the way...

5. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

That's a funny anecdote but I'm not sure it's entirely relevant in a general sense. Even allowing for factors like the Peter Principle, Old Boy Networks, and Tory parliamentary safe seats where the local party constituency members pick the most right-wing candidate they can find knowing full well he simply cannot lose, to get to top management in society you've got to at least give the general outward appearance of being reasonably competent.

6. I hate the loco being referred to as 'The' Flying Scotsman (regularly reminding the BBC that 'The Flying Scotsman' was historically the 10am departure from King's Cross, 'Flying Scotsman' is the locomotive), but what irks me almost as much is the way journalists always refer to 'the tracks' (plural). And don't get me started on 'train station'.

Hypocritically, I always use 'train set' - but only to wind up the kind of railway modeller who tends to take the hobby just a bit too seriously :p