If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Turkish 8Fs

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by ADB968008, Oct 3, 2014.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Given that neither the two repatriated 8F's came to anything... it would suggest to be fool hardy to repatriate more. At least 1 of the 2 returned might have a future in new ownership in Scotland.
    Doesnt look good for any attempt to return further WD 2-10-0's from Greece either.

2. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That was 44901, supposed to be coming to the GWSR for restoration with the help of people who did 8274 and are currently doing 44027, which is nearing completion - apparently...
    A pity as it will just make her steaming further away, they reckon if the 8F was repatriated they'd have 90% of the parts including what they've already got. Hope it's not off the cards completely though.

Back on topic, amazing work going on, and I like that fact it's changing its livery even though it's only got a cab to display it on so far!

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Kind of makes you wonder if it benefitted 44901 so much, why they let the 8F sat next to it slip out of the country to Israel.
    If they are openly seeking a 4th 8F to return to the UK, to specifically rip apart for spares,
    Given Turkish-Israeli relations are not the best, and the 3rd loco hasn't gotten anywhere (eh - hang on why not use that one for spares ??), kind of makes you wonder how they would answer the question of "how did you get on with the other 2" an interesting reply...and "why then do you need a 4th one"

Could possibly explain why the 4th one isn't here.

Its hardly promoting Turkish culture, respect for Turkish History or beneficial to Anglo-turkish relations.. might be worth keeping it in Turkey as spares for one of their preserved ones in Turkey for some point in the future as it would appear more valuable and have a safer future there, than to us here.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
    flying scotsman123 likes this.
  4. flying scotsman123

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but would someone be able to give a quick summary of the movements of Turkish 8Fs, as I'm rather confused about them all. All I know is that there's a rather nice one running on the GWSR, one one in Turkey that people keep saying will be repatriated, then another one that was somewhere went to Israel? All rather sketchy.

5. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

1 8f. Came back and restored
    2. 8f came back was for sale no takers and sold to isreal.
    3 8f. Bought by someone at nnr/ian storeys friend i think and decided to put up for sale and scotland group interested in buying.
    4 8f in turkey about to be cut up and parts wanting to be bought back to uk.

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Plus 3 preserved in
    plus 3 preserved in good condition in Turkish museums / plinth end at a station.

AIUI one is at the works in poor condition (missing rods and other bits), I'd hope that's the export and scrap candidate.

Related, in Greece there are circa 6 WD 2-10-0's, one of which was operational until not long ago.
    Given the numbers of UK and German tourists to Turkey, if they got one of the 8Fs and some of the more obscure WW1 era German locos operational, TCDD could make some real money out of a tourist operation.

Separately, and maybe of more interest was that it was noted that TCDD had complete parts self sufficiency from the LMS by the provision of a full set of patterns / castings / moulds etc for all 8F parts... Which apparently still exist there..
    I would have thought this gold mine would be worth more than an 8f itself given the commonality.

7. mickpop

mickpop Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    The Trains of Turkey' website - http://www.trainsofturkey.com/w/pmwiki.php/Steam/PreservedSteam shows six locos remaining in Turkey of which four are 'preserved] either in museums or plinthed which leaves two derelict or dumped - 45153 at Cankiri and 45165 at Alasehir. I guess the preserved ones are unlikely to be available and that Sivas works would be the most likely place to have spare parts or patterns. I've included an old shot of two of the repatriated locos at Sivas in the 198o's.

TCDD did run some steam specials after the end of regular steam there but I gather maintainance was a problem, there was at least one boiler explosion, and some tours suffered diesel substitutions. One of the working locos was the Robert Stephenson built 2-8-2 46105 [like the number] which was last seen at Usak which was the main depot for the working locos I believe. There are also some Beyer Peacock and Vulcan Foundery built 2-10-0s.

Attached Files:

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

almost but not quite..

ToT lists 7 remaining, the list is a little out of date, of the 7 remaining... 2 are in the UK and 1 is now in Israel.
    4 remain in Turkey concur's to my post... 3 preserved and 1 dumped. (though recent pictures suggest one of the preserved ones at Alasehir may be de-accessioned from preservation.. as it's in complete condition it would be a pity if it were used for spares)

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

10. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

2nd link not working

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    45161 pictured at the Camlik Railway Museum in Ephesus on 23rd July this year.

Attached Files:

12. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

If the Turkish 8F boiler is not forthcoming for 44901, I wonder if in the fullness of time the loco frames/wheels might end up back with the original boiler with Ian Riley?

13. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Can't see he will want a heavily corroded and stripped set of frames and neither will he want to give up his spare boiler. I imagine the frames will join 48518 and 2874 as skip fodder. Utter madness to give up the boiler before getting the replacement item in the hand. Its doomed

14. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I may be missing something in this thread which presumably was spun out of something else . Anyone care to point the direction of the original thread

15. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Patriot thread.

16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

17. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

18. flying scotsman123

Ehh, what's up with 2874 - that's being restored on the GWSR, I wouldn't have thought they'd have gone for it if the frames, a fairly major part, are not in reasonable condition. I don't think they've started work on the frames yet, but presumably they wouldn't be bothering to make a start on the boiler if the frames were buggered?

19. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    It was 2861's frames that ended up in a skip.

20. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Couldn't remember which one it was but yep it was 61. Same point though. Its a parts donor now