If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Trawsfynydd and Blaenau Ffestiniog Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by WickhamofWare, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There was the bid on the 08 which they then had to walk away from , now fund raising for a wood chipper which isn't setting the world alight , some discussion on Walnut Tree Junction signal box and dissent there

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Will this line be open for passenger traffic before the Amlwch branch ?

There's no sound commercial reason for a standard gauge line in the middle of narrow gauge land.

Bob.

Just_Sayin likes this.
  3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

The better plan may be an extension of the Ffestiniog

DisusedBranch likes this.
  4. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I suppose that it would go some way towards fulfilling the NWNGR's ambition for an extension from Rhyd Ddu to the Ruabon-Barmouth line.

5. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    Only as far as Bala; wouldn't wish to tread on another railway's toes.:)

6. meeee

meeee Member

The better plan is just to keep it closed.

7. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    That sounds a little like protectionism.:(

8. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    No - I think the word is realism.

Bob.

9. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

I wonder what happened to the Velorail idea (pushbike thing on rails) they talked about a few years ago for the branch?
    Sounded less ambitious but fun, and it wouldn't compete directly with the FfR.

johnnew likes this.
  10. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    I don't understand why nobody has managed to set up a velorail in the UK

johnnew likes this.
  11. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Try going uphill with one.

12. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

While one of those may be significantly heavier than an ordinary bike, typical railway gradients are much less steep than hills on roads.

Librarybloke likes this.
  13. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

14. And that sounds a little like "Anything that was once a railway should reopen as a railway, no matter how impractical the realities of the idea."
    Possibly for the same reason that buses which run on roads are more economical than railbuses (i.e. it's cheaper and easier to maintain a hard, compacted surface than the various things that go to make up railway track).

Outwith the envelope of standard gauge on a single track branch, you've only got a couple of feet before you're into a drainage ditch, cutting side or down the side of the embankment, so a hard compacted surface much more easily accommodates walkers and horses than a rail route (and anyone can bring their own bike).

Along with all the faff of having to dive the thing off the track every time you meet someone coming the other way, personally I can't see the point of velorail, apart from fleeting novelty factor.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
    The Dainton Banker and paulhitch like this.
  15. ryan.hogg1890

ryan.hogg1890 New Member

I know it's not the BF&T but similar idea of using an existing line which is the Butterwell Branch in Northumberland: http://wp.me/p7JgS7-2F is link to the most recent blog.

Thanks and nice to hear a supportive voice!

Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Allegheny

Allegheny Member

This would give a potential continuous run of over 60 miles, if you include the WHR.

17. Railboy

Railboy New Member

18. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    Blaenau Ffestiniog to Bala Railway, (Day 1). Thursday 27th April 2017.

I was back in Wales again for 4 days, meeting up with Colin Dale for a tour of the work the lads have been doing on the former Blaenau Ffestiniog to Bala Railway, the Ffestiniog Quirks & Curiosities II gala, the Talyllyn 1980`s Gala and the Welsh Highland and Welsh Highland Heritage Railways, while staying at the YHA Cwm Pennant Hostel Golan, Criccieth, LL51 9AQ, I can recommend it.

I drove down to Blaenau Ffestiniog early on Thursday morning and met Colin Dale in the car park near the station. Colin, a successful businessman is a larger than like character, a man who gets things done, a problem solver and also a man of great insight and knowledge. He is the leading luminary behind the project to re-open the line from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Trawsfynydd and possibly beyond. When I first read about the work being done on this line, I thought it was just around the Blaenau Ffestiniog section as it leaves the station, this in itself must have been a task and half, I visited this area a few years ago and it was like a jungle literally. However, the group however have done much more than that and also have an office in the former Maentwrog Road station, in the old signal box and have also acquired the good shed, (which Network Rail didn’t know existed), and again cleared the overgrown yard it occupies.

The entire track bed from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Trawsfynydd is intact and was upgraded prior to the line`s closure, nature took its course however and the track bed is still very much overgrown in parts. Colin took me in his classic Mercedes first to see the station site of Maentwrog Road, were I visited his office signal box and the lady of the station house made a brew for us. We then visited various sections of the track bed to the buffers at Trawsfynydd and beyond to Trawsfynydd station, which is now in private hands, but with many reminders of its former use and both platforms still in place.

Next we visited the yard and Weigh Bridge and then the quarry and station site at Arenig, but found nothing of the former station, we picked up the track bed at Frongach and found a few bridges and the old station house and signal box which are presently being converted into a self-catering residency. We also visited the station house and site at Cwm Prysor, presently derelict after the owner went on the run, after his wife died and he buried her in the station yard and the poor guy had mental health issues, and at one point started to tunnel under the main road, but a story by itself. We also visited and walk a section of the track bed over the magnificent Nant Prysor Viaduct. We then followed the track bed to Tryweryn Reservoir and the flooded the village of Capel Celyn, https://www.youtube.com/watch?

Colin took his car along parts of the track bed, places I wouldn’t dare drive, unless I had a 4x4, it was an amazing visit though and a great insight into the Blaenau Ffestiniog to Bala former railway line, thank you so much for a great day out Colin and I wish you every success with the project and look forward to reading about the progress you and the lads are making down there.

Colin also gave me a magnificent painting of a GWR pannier tank with one coach in tow, south of Trawsfynydd clinging to the ledge on the mountainside north of Nant Prysor Viaduct; it now takes pride of place on my chimney breast.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...53253798857.1073742736.100001125840218&type=3

alastair and Martin Perry like this.
  19. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Seems to be a link to someone playing a Gibson Les Paul.:confused:

20. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant

That would be me, should take you to my blog and images, lol