If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Train à Vapeur des Cévennes

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by RASDV, Aug 12, 2013.

1. RASDV

RASDV Member

I visited this excellent line on the 4th August when SNCF 2-8-0 140-C-27 was running. It was quite a spectacular run, especially the start from Anduze, through the 833m-long tunnel and then out on the metal bridge spanning the river Gardon and the two rocky outcrops which form the gate to the Cévennes, but I was particularly interested by the different approach taken on the line compared to its British counterparts. For example, the informative, multi-lingual display boards which explained the basics about how steam locos work, or another, which on one board provided a broad outline of French railway history through a series of maps and a timeline covering 1803 to 2000, depicting key developments in the French railways above it and developments specific to the line and its locomotives underneath it. And below that, some photos showing the construction of the line.
    P1170316.JPG
    It is this kind of basic overview for general interest visitors which British preserved lines don't provide when perhaps they should. Yes, the display boards don't exactly help create an authentic atmosphere, and I'm not suggesting that British heritage lines should emulate them (but perhaps some information like that could be provided in the guide book), but I don't think that is so much what the Train à Vapeur des Cévennes is aiming for, but about more making trains fun and educating it's visitors. In this, and catering for visitors from different countries - I was able to buy an English version of the excellent guide book - the operators of the Train à Vapeur des Cévennes should be congratulated. What kind of educational role should preserved lines be trying to fulfill?
    140-C-27 was a great engine, though the graphics on the tender advertising the Cévennes region were a bit surprising, but good use of advertising space! The loco didn't seem too taxed by what was a relatively long train; as you will hear in the video you don't hear very much 'chuff'.
    Report (elaborates on some of the points above): http://www.totally-transport.co.uk/train-agrave-vapeur-des-ceacutevennes-40813.html
    Video (full HD, 14 minutes):
    Photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/115609395788457768316/albums/5911178401826580081