If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tracks to the Trenches - 13-15th May 2016 (& Driver-Ex dates)

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by rusty_project, Nov 27, 2015.

1. rusty_project

rusty_project New Member

Well, we are trying our best to have two of most things for "Tracks to the Trenches - 2"!!!!
    2 - Hudswell steamers
    2 - Joffre steamers
    2 - 40hp "armoured" (Protected/Open types) Simplex
    2 - 50hp Baldwin Tractors
    2++ - 20hp Simplex Tractors
    2 - D class wagons
    2 - 2 WW1 4w British wagons

Latest updates on www.ww1-event.com

Cheers

2. Jonno854

Jonno854 New Member

Land Manager
    I'm planning to attend this event though not as yet sure whether coming on Saturday or Sunday. Two questions;

The ticket only allows one train ride but the website states further rides can be purchased. Can someone from the railway please advise how much second ride tickets are?

I particularly want to ride behind the West Lanc's Joffre and the railways resident Hudswell 1238. Does anyone from the railway have any idea as to what time during the two days that these engines will be working the passenger train?

Thanks

JP

3. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Can I ask a similar question? I was planning on attending on Sunday. I'd also like a ride behind 1238, but I'm also interested in the residentJoffre, 3014.

4. Seraphim

Seraphim New Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    On the assumption that neither Jonno nor Malc are under 15 (or under 5), the second ride is £2.50. Cheap enough? As for which engine works when.....the current plan is that four of the six locos will be on the mainline at any one time. Locos will change at each end of the railway, so each round trip passenger run will be hauled by two different steam locos. Passengers are welcome to alight at the Apedale Road station and wait for a later train, but cannot leave the site at Apedale Road during the event. The exception to this is the LBNGR Baldwin, which will always be on the mainline or taking water in the yard, because its six flanged driving wheels mean it won't go round the Field Railway curves.

The exact plan will be worked out on a day by day basis, and will somewhat depend on the order in which locos are ready to leave the yard. Of course, as with any gala-type operation, the God Chaos could decend and engulf us all - but we will do our best to avoid that.

Forecast looks good, all visiting locos are on site, no obvious FTR-type problems with anything, and the site is being rapdily transformed into the Western Front (although, astoundingly, mud seems to be in short supply). If anyone could bring a bucket of mud, we would be grateful.

5. 67379

67379 New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Went Saturday. What a good do! Many thanks to all concerned.

6. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
  7. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It was an excellent event. I attended on Sunday and partied in the sun. This is similar to Statfold in that there is a limited area and a lot going on. 6 dream and probably the same number of diesels working. The Field railway allowed for a range of moves and a chance to get up close. Wide mix of attendees are with a lot of families.

Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jonno854

Jonno854 New Member

Land Manager
    Attended yesterday, most enjoyable and social day.