If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Leander's Shovel, Oct 20, 2007.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Expecting some sort of gratitude form the Trust is not unreasonable, especially if it is a particularly great/difficult shot, but in polite society I would think it is normal just to wait to be offered. Thinking that the givee should be initiating 'negotiation' is what's pretty mercenary in my view.[/quote:php7ddo6]

Sorry guys.. I disagree.

Going to a Zoo, Musuem, Theatre, Concert you wouldnt argue to buy a ticket and get a picture next to the Monkey, Actor, Relic etc etc. Being by the lineside to watch a train falls into the same category, the difference being there is no "charge" for doing it.

Theres a number of groups on here ive either given some cash, or given my pictures from the day to... it's called paying your way... they already DID ME the favour by restoring it (or in this case Building it) and running the train on the day.. all i'm doing is showing my gratitude for the enjoyment ive already had. So in this case.. my pictures are their's and i'll probably send a small donation as well, (If i'd known there was a collecting bucket at KX i'd have donated into it there too).

Unfortunately my job doesnt allow me to get my hands dirty, an IT consultant, CAD engineer and Project Manager isnt much use to steam, especially as half the time i'm out of the country... so this is my way of pitching in.

Maybe if everyone who "enjoyed the show" on saturday donated their pictures and a few quid, we'd have a good book published, postcards, website etc... the engine would be paid for in a few months.

Thats my view anyway.

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sorry guys.. I disagree.

Going to a Zoo, Musuem, Theatre, Concert you wouldnt argue to buy a ticket and get a picture next to the Monkey, Actor, Relic etc etc. Being by the lineside to watch a train falls into the same category, the difference being there is no "charge" for doing it.

Theres a number of groups on here ive either given some cash, or given my pictures from the day to... it's called paying your way... they already DID ME the favour by restoring it (or in this case Building it) and running the train on the day.. all i'm doing is showing my gratitude for the enjoyment ive already had. So in this case.. my pictures are their's and i'll probably send a small donation as well, (If i'd known there was a collecting bucket at KX i'd have donated into it there too).

Unfortunately my job doesnt allow me to get my hands dirty, an IT consultant, CAD engineer and Project Manager isnt much use to steam, especially as half the time i'm out of the country... so this is my way of pitching in.

Maybe if everyone who "enjoyed the show" on saturday donated their pictures and a few quid, we'd have a good book published, postcards, website etc... the engine would be paid for in a few months.

Thats my view anyway.[/quote:345qajh8]

Spot on. All I ask from any heritage group is a simple thank you for material I send. To expect them to do me a favour is out of the question. They've already done me the favour by providing me an A1 to phot and ride behind.

3. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Any chance that the various threads about Tornado could be brought together under one 'umbrella' thread for the time being
    please?
    Just 'till the excitement dies down, trying to keep up with everything is rather tiring for those of us of 'a certain age'. 8-[ 8-[

4. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
  5. bristolian

bristolian Member

Nice video, shame about the blatant trespass :(

6. I'm sorry to have to butt in on this, but I think what Mr FC was saying was not what a nice video had been put up, but was commenting on the trespass. Just a personal thought, but was it really worth it for a shaky hand held shot with someone talking all over it? I doubt it very much.

These people are definately not supporters of mainline steam. These ARE the people who will get our mainline charters pulled permanently. Before too long, some twerp will get himself killed for that piece of must have footage and that will be that. There is the added danger here of the overheads as well, although I doubt they even noticed they were there!

FC [-( ](*,) [-X

7. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Dont be silly Shirley, they're the sort of people that would probably turn round and sue the rail operatour because the train was travelling too fast! Complete and utter idiots! ](*,)

8. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    And lets face it, it was a pretty crap video as well.

9. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

Oh wait everybody, One man has a Hi vis jacket on. That makes it all ok........ (despite it being the wrong colour)
    With two greens at the start of the video, there could be a train or two trains belting up behind the cameras....

Pretty mindless stupidity from the 4 people that are caught in the video.

10. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

That's always been my attitude too. A free copy of the mag, if the pic appears in one, is all I ask from any preservation group.

11. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Perhaps with hindsight it would have been better to run the first few Tornado trips on a quieter line like the S&C where there aren't 125mph expresses racing up and down every 5 minutes? Tresspass was sadly always going to be a problem given the inevitable huge amount of publicity and excitement surrounding this loco. Lessons should be learned for the first few Scotsman runs as that will surely attract big crowds.

Not defending their actions in the above video - but how could the overhead wires possibly be an extra danger to them? Your closer to them when on a platform! It does appear they are quite near a foot crossing so at least drivers will be on the lookout and sounding their horns on approach. Still not clever at all.

12. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

IMO, Shirley, it's not worth it no matter how visually stunning the video or photographs or whatever are...

13. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Happier news!

Not only will Tornado be named by Prince Charles and Camilla at York station, but the royal train will then be pulled to Leeds, no doubt with a bit more BTP attention than we saw on saturday!

More detail on the trust's website here.

Chris

14. Well lets just hope so! It would be disastrous if Tornado and others were stuffed and mounted because of stupidity.

I agree stepney. No shot however great is worth the risk. I think BTP should show the videos we have to watch when doing our PTS. That might JUST make them think again!

FC

15. 76079

76079 Member

Just out of interest what are the chances of Tornados severe debt being paid off within a reasonable time scale?

I only ask this because its steaming fees etc must be going towards paying its constuction costs off.

What money if any is being set aside for its 10 year overhaul and long term costs?

If at the end of its current 10 year boiler certificate the debt has not been repaid is there a plan in place to finance its overhaul?

16. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

I think you will find that the majority of covenantors are continuing to pay their set fee per month, and have not stopped it just because she is finished. Myself and family want to see her on the mainline, doing what she does best, and if it costs me £10 or £20 per month so be it.

In 10 years time, she will be just that 10 years old not 70 or 80, a overhaul at that stage will be nowhere near as expensive as one for an older locomotive. Costs escalate with age.

When you see the premiums some operators are charging (York to Edinburgh and the return trip) both priced at £95.00, when the norm is £78.00, it makes you wonder where the money is going.

When the Talisman only cost £78.00, questions have to be asked about punters being overcharged for the experience now.

Bear in mind if they have a bad experience, they are lost for ever.

17. jay

jay New Member

NRM Apprentice-NELPG volunteer-NYMR Volunteer
    [/quote]

I think £95 isn't that steep, bearing in mind that it costs £76 by NXEC (off peak).

18. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

I think £95 isn't that steep, bearing in mind that it costs £76 by NXEC (off peak).[/quote]

When the week before christmas it was £78.00 with RTC, on Heart of Midlothian, what causes the £17.00 increase????

Its the ability to charge what they want basically for a new product, that will quickly wear off.

19. 76079

76079 Member

I think £95 isn't that steep, bearing in mind that it costs £76 by NXEC (off peak).[/quote]

Hang on i didnt write that ?! :-k ](*,) ](*,) stupid computers lol

20. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    You're right - it was guycar. This happened to me the other day - folk need to be bit more careful when editing quotes.