If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Leander's Shovel, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Ian_S

Ian_S New Member

Sorry I didn't mean to stir up trouble.

I can understand where it was as it looked to be the only place that has easy access in and out of the main hall. The downside being it wasn't as accessible as would have been nice, but no doubt patience will be rewarded there once it is out and about on proper duty.

I have to say it looks fantastic, even in photgraphic grey. It's incredible that it has been made and I hope it is a roaring success and paves the way for others too. Out of curiosity, how much did the boiler cost?

2. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Tornado's first main line run today, AND its impending run to Newcastle, were mentioned in BBC Look North from Newcastle this morning =D>

Still in the limelight; long may it continue. \:D/

3. mick wilson

mick wilson Member

Methinks this question may reopen the debate on the merits and demerits of vaious boiler construction methods.

4. Mark_Allatt

Mark_Allatt New Member

Chairman, A1SLT
    I'm sorry but we are not permitted to disclose the price we paid for Tornado's boiler for contractual reasons. Needless to say some of the figures being quoted for boiler repairs make new boilers look very attractive.

Looks like the interest in Tornado continues if the number of press calls I have received today is any indication....

5. Ian_S

Ian_S New Member

This is what I was curious about. What struck me in the BBC Four programme about Tornado was the boiler inspectors comments about the new boiler compared to old repaired ones. Was just wondering why we don't see more completely new boilers. Is it cost or emotional attachment to the boiler itself? Please forgive my naivety, I'm just curious as to what happens to an engine when its boiler is effectively shot.

6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This is what I was curious about. What struck me in the BBC Four programme about Tornado was the boiler inspectors comments about the new boiler compared to old repaired ones. Was just wondering why we don't see more completely new boilers. Is it cost or emotional attachment to the boiler itself? Please forgive my naivety, I'm just curious as to what happens to an engine when its boiler is effectively shot.[/quote:1rtocg5e]
    One reason is that if you build a new boiler it has to comply with the Pressure Equipment Directive, embodied in the Pressure Equipment Regulations 1999. This adds substantially to the paperwork mountain and people seem to fight shy of this. A while ago I asked some well known boiler repairers to quote for a new industrial loco boiler and, with one exception, they all suggested that, if we could use some existing parts, it would be an overhaul/repair and not have to comply with the PER. Existing loco boilers were not built to recognised standards; AFAIK there never has been a UK one for them. The railway companies and the home loco builders evolved their designs over many years. Weight was a significant consideration leading to minimal material sizes in some cases and trying to prove on paper that they are suitable and sound is probably quite difficult. It would be necessary to comply with the PER. Compliance with as recognised standard would be sufficient to meet the PER requirements. The nearest equivalent boiler standards are BS2790 'Specification for Design and Manufacture of Shell Boilers of Welded Construction' and the long withdrawn BS931 'Loco-Type Multitubular Boilers of Riveted Construction' but this specifically excludes boilers for railway locomotives. Railway locomotive boilers also get subjected to far more stresses and strains than land boilers, which spend their life in a static environment and quite often run at constant pressure for very long periods so it is even more arguable that they are not suitable standards.

Another reason for repairing is our liking for copper fireboxes. I doubt that any boiler manufacturer would build a loco with a copper box but there are still people out there who will repair them.

7. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Just for info, was looking good in the prep bay at NRM at 5pm, before going onto support coach. Should be away by now towards Scarborough. Foul night for it!

8. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Left York at about 18:45 this evening, surprised everyone, came up on Platform 3 / 4 and we were all expecting it on P5.

Video to follow...

9. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Saw the newest express loco on Network Rail (of any type of traction!) and what could turn out to be the last express loco built in the Uk make its debut today - along with plenty of other people!

A still from my video attached - there will be better pictures, I am sure!

10. cossie matt

cossie matt Member

Reservoir keeper for United Utilities
    And they said it couldn't be done !

Great work chaps =D> =D> =D>

Matt.

11. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Tornado's on her way properly now. Can't to see the first pics of her in apple green livery. The 90MPH test next year will be the big one.

12. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Without wishing to start a full blown livery argument, hasn't she looked stunning in photographic grey? Hopefully more engines returned to traffic could benefit from this underrated livery.

13. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Agree-Sir Archibold Sinclair,847 and Birch Grove for a Bluebell Grey Gala?

14. kelal

kelal New Member

To Mark and all those involved with 'Tornado' - a huge vote of thanks for this amazing achievement =D>
    Just incredible!!
    Good luck with the mainline trials, but you won't need luck - the machine is perfection!!!

Patrick

15. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I do like the grey but the green will be more striking. Congrats to Mark and the A1 team on a superb locomotive.

16. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    It was the first time i'd seen the engine today, after sending someone to the GC for me, and i was never keen before but i really liked it tonight, was something different.

Video is now online:

Footage Available Here

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Cool video... by any chance is "flash photography banned at this station ?" :)

18. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

History in the making!

What a fantastic sight.

19. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Good to see that the bolt I paid for is holding up well. :smt045 :smt023

20. aperture

aperture Member

Professional Photographer
    Flash photography is banned at all stations.