If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Leander's Shovel, Oct 20, 2007.

1. W.Williams

W.Williams Well-Known Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ahem...

Attached Files:

2. 242A1

242A1 Member

An interesting one, something that other locomotive owners should be aware of and not be complacent, so put the full examination of the lubricators on the "must be done" list. Very few people will have suspected that this area of the lubricator would present such a problem but keys and keyways are not trouble free. I suppose that it is all a part of the learning process. That being said someone should have seriously questioned the amount of free play but there might not have been quite so much at the time of the Ebor incident but it could well have been a factor.

The Trust should be congratulated for the Winter maintenance carried out. As is usual a credit to the organisation and of value to all who work long and hard to keep these machines working whether they ancient or fairly new.

240P15 and jnc like this.
  3. MellishR

MellishR Part of the furniture Friend

When was that info published? Had anything been said previously about reduced lubrication to a cylinder?

4. Lplus

Lplus Member

Cylinder oil is distributed from the cylinder oil pump to the atomisers and thence to the valves and often the cylinders themselves. It may also be distributed to valve spindle guides without the need for atomisation. So that pump most certainly fed the valves.

5. Sheff

Sheff Well-Known Member

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Not sure why we’re raking over all this again. Boredom maybe? This was all fully dissected at the time iirc. The cylinder oil lubricator, which feeds superheater oil to all surfaces in contact with superheated steam eg valves and pistons, had a single pawl drive. Post-Ebor this was modified to three pawls as per an A4. So built in redundancy and less chance of not engaging at higher speeds.

garth manor, jnc and guycarr360 like this.
  6. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Member

Interesting update's Mr Langer, I hope everyone who helped with the maintenance got the credit that they deserved, especially those staying away from home. A lot of work taking place, alongside a lot of other groups no doubt at this time of year and with what's currently going on.

I hope the trust appreciates the teams efforts and prioritising the important jobs in getting Tornado ready to get back out and play again.

Spinner likes this.