If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Leander's Shovel, Oct 20, 2007.

1. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Test runs:
    Tue 04-Nov: www.uksteam.info/tours/t08/t1104p.htm
    Thu 06-Nov: www.uksteam.info/tours/t08/t1106p.htm
    Tue 18-Nov: www.uksteam.info/tours/t08/t1118p.htm

2. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Are these mainline test runs being undertaken by EWS as the timings refer to a cl 67, not a cl 47, being attached to the rear of the test train, or is it a mistype. I would not have thought a cl 67 would be required for a non-passenger carrying train. I would also find it very suprising if EWS were doing these tests given Greame Bunker is a fireman for WCR, his association with Steam Dreams whose trains WCR operate and the close association the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust have developed with WCR in running their first three Talisman's. Still things do change.

3. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Yes, these are all EWS jobs. The class 67 and stock come from Crewe.

4. AlexS

AlexS New Member

Certainly were doing driver familiarisation with EWS drivers towards the end of it's stay at the GCR.

5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

It would make sense for both EWS and WCRC to be familiarised with the loco as not all promoters use WCRC as a TOC. This way it means Tornado is available to anyone who wishes to hire her. VSOE I believe for example are exclusive users of EWS and to my knowledge have never used West Coast and although they have used WCRC again recently at the start of the year The Railway Touring Co used only EWS. For a loco with many debts to repay it needs to be able to be used by anyone who wants her, company rivalry needs to be forgotten!

Incidently, is this driver familiarisation something all new locos need to do or is the Blue Peter 'Durham incident' in the A1 trust's minds? Personally I think it's a very good idea as different locos can be vastly different. I seem to remember there was talk of training crews on King Edward 1st, did this ever happen? I think this was a response to 6024's indifferent performances in the north a few years ago, which a few attributed to northern crews being unfamiliar with a GWR narrow firebox.

6. AlexS

AlexS New Member

I suspect part of it is that there are a lot of different features on the loco than the average steam locomotive and therefore it will take a bit more getting used to than most. I believe the brakes in particular work quite a bit different to the average steam engine.

7. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

In what way?

8. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I'm under the impression that tornado is a bit more efficient - But I couldn't say how or where? I've read or seen footage very recently about differencies between her and a standard loco... (May have to on a hunt) :-k

9. AlexS

AlexS New Member

I believe the loco itself is air braked instead of steam braked - if I recall correctly from my short visit to the cab the brake controller looked a bit more diesel than most.

There's also a big bank of light switches and so on located above the drivers head on the cab roof. I've never cabbed an LNER pacific with the exception of this loco so I couldn't say exactly what was different.

I know the GCR drivers certainly seemed to take a bit of time to adjust to braking with this locomotive, I'm not a driver so I won't pretend to know the precise details however.

10. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    These strange rows of switches & unfamiliar controls - This is a bit like the doc's loco in 'Back to the Future II' .They had better not take it over 88 m.p.h. or it may end up in Doncaster in 1948.

Bob.

11. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

LOL - Love it! I think you will find this is already for her to go mainline and for lighting in the cab - Can't remember what else....

12. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

The speculation about how Tornado will be turned is now revealed...

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t08/t1118p.htm

All done on the south side of the river after all.

Wishing all concerned every success during the Main Line trials.

13. Ian_S

Ian_S New Member

Here's a pic of the Tornado in the Great Hall at the NRM on Sunday tucked away in the corner.

14. aperture

aperture Member

Professional Photographer
    After all the fuss,it looks very lonely stuck in a corner all forlorn-like a child having a new toy then putting it aside.

Human nature is funny,millions will watch it go through stations,the next day it ends up in a siding,this applies across the board with other mainline steamers.

Out of sight,out of mind.

Im sure it's not,but it's what the picture conveys.We all go back to what we where doing before the flag waving.This applies to many things in life unfortunately.

15. Mark_Allatt

Mark_Allatt New Member

Chairman, A1SLT
    Tornado is in that place in the NRM at the request of the Trust and for two reasons. First, with the barriers around the turntable, she is too big to be turned. Second, work neded to be done on the locomotive prior to her main line trials and that was the only suitable and appropriate place to do that work AND keep her on show. Certainly not out of sight nor out of mind.

green five likes this.
  16. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    I've been looking through my Ian Allan Combined for Winter 1957/8 and it set me to wondering that with electric headlamps etc, maybe Tornado should be classified A1/1 as it doesn't conform to the original drawings for an A1. I don't include TPWS or OTMR in this just the embellishments.
    Not trying to diminish what has been achieved which is brilliant, just trying to live upto my avatar. :-#

17. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    60113 Great Northern was classified as A1/1.

18. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    How about A1/1a then?
    Mind you that wouldn't look very classy on the tender side would it?

19. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Surely - following tradition - the new desihgnation should be A1/2 ?

20. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Well put it this way if she didn't have a few mod cons she wouldn't be allowed on the mainline by the VAB, esepcially because its a new build.