If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Leander's Shovel, Oct 20, 2007.

1. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    I have been told that the only bit that isn't new is the bottom half of one of the gauge frames which i beleive are off an A4, but are going to be replaced befroe she goes mainline towards the end of the year.

2. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Any recent updates on the 60mph running???

Have also read that Tornado is due in York at the NRM for some sort of lunch function towards the end of the month.

Will it arrive by rail or road???

Think i remember reading that the only time it would be transported by road, would be to the GCR, could this mean a arrival in steam could happen???
    Obviously the GCR is not mainline connected yet as well.

I suppose once it arrives main line test sequence can start.

3. dhic001

dhic001 Member

I would say that as it has to be loaded onto a low loader to get it off the Great Central, then it will stay on the truck all the way to York. Saves an aweful lot of mucking around and cost if its done that way. Easier on support crews too.
    Daniel

4. Flipper_T_Rox

Flipper_T_Rox New Member

A question for Aperture. Following on from Tornado's appearance at the GCR's Autumn Gala, where it was continuously photographed by both press and hobby photographers alike, not to mention its near continous appearance in magazine and other publications during the testing phase, do you still stand by your statement above ?

Is it still your position that the press will pay no attention to Tornado when it's "finished" ? That there will be no TV news coverage of it's entry into mainline work, that no photographs of it will appear in newspapers, magazines and on the web ? Or will you be admitting you were wrong ?

Regards

Flip

5. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Anyone know if Tornado has left the GCR for York or when it may be going.

6. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    No but theres a lovely centre page picture of the cab in the Guardian...and how to drive it....

7. AlexS

AlexS New Member

Not my place to say exactly when it's going but it's not planned to be on the GCR for long now.

8. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    The prog on BBC4 was excellent. What an achievement!!!

9. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    The only "knobs " I can refer to , is the one I am replying to now, what a childish thing to say .

Both the "Tornado team and the NRM came over well in my view, well done BBC4.

Regards Chris W.

10. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Sorry, but it was the only negative bit in the otherwise excellent programme

11. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

OK, not seen it yet, but in what way and for what are my colleagues getting it in the neck this time? [-(

12. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    I enjoyed Jim Rees's comment: "I think they have real coffee down at the A1 Project. I don't think they have Thermoses at all."

13. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

was an excellent programme, along with the one after, days of steam by times shift.

14. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    Watched it on iPlayer. Really enjoyable. Had to laugh at the fireman's comment on expecting something smaller.

15. craiggluyas

craiggluyas Member

Industrialisation Engineer
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyone came over very well - especially Mr Howitt!

Craig

16. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Thursday, 16 October 2008 22:55
    60163 Tornado, Britain's new £3 million steam locomotive, moves to the National Railway Museum to start her main line trials

Today The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust announced that 60163 Tornado will be leaving Grand Central Railway (GCR), Loughborough, and moving to the National Railway Museum (NRM) in York. After spending almost two months on trials at GCR, the locomotive will arrive at the NRM on Tuesday 21st October 2008 to take pride of place in the NRM’s Great Hall on Thursday 23rd October 2008 before beginning her main line trials.

The process of loading Tornado (engine and tender) onto two low-loaders capable of carrying her almost 170 ton weight will start at about 10:00 hours on Monday 20th October at Quorn and Woodhouse station, Forest Road, Quorn, Leicestershire LE12 8AJ. Just off the A6 - 10 minutes from Junction 23 of M1- follow the brown Steam Railway signs. It is expected that the engine and tender will be loaded and ready to depart by 12:00 hours.

Following their road journey, the engine and tender will be unloaded between 15:00 and 18:00 hours Monday 20th October 2008 and the engine and tender reunited. Between 09:00 and 10:00 hours on Tuesday 21st October 60163 Tornado will be moved by rail over to the National Railway Museum, Leeman Road, York Y026 4XJ. The NRM is on the site of the former York locomotive depot where the last surviving original Peppercorn class A1 60145 Saint Mungo was based until scrapping in 1966.

Speaking about Tornado’s move from the Great Central Railway, Mark Allatt, chairman of The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust said:

“Today is a bitter sweet day for the Trust. Tornado is leaving the GCR after two amazing months of tests, trials and initial passenger operations which culminated in the record breaking Steam Railway gala last weekend, attended by over 7,000 people, and test runs at up to 60mph. The Trust can’t thank the GCR enough for their professionalism, helpfulness and warm hospitality during our stay and we look forward to returning many times in the future. However, Tornado is now ready to stretch her legs on the Network Rail main line, where she will be tested at speeds of up to 75mph during November in preparation for her Network Rail passenger début in the New Year.”

Commenting on Tornado’s time on Britain’s only double track, main line heritage railway, Bill Ford, president of the Great Central Railway, said:

"It has been a real honour to host the running in trials and first passenger trains for Tornado. She’s a handsome machine and her smooth début is a tribute to the skill and determination of The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust. We wish this great team of people and their engine every success in future endeavours and hope to welcome her back to the GCR in future."

Although Tornado will only be on display in the NRM’s Great Hall for a few days, she will be behind the scenes at the Museum until at least February 2009. Following her appearance at the Dinner at the NRM on Thursday 23rd October she will undergo final preparations for the main line. Tornado will then undertake her main line tests and trials before completing the certification process and receiving the go-ahead to operate on Network Rail. Tornado’s test runs will take place on Tuesday 4th (locomotive and support coach from York to Scarborough and return), Thursday 6th (locomotive and train to 60mph from York to Barrow Hill, Chesterfield and return) and Tuesday 18th November (locomotive and train to 75mph from York to Newcastle and return). The locomotive will then enter the NRM’s paint shop where she will loose her now familiar test livery of photographic grey.

Andrew Scott, Director of the NRM, said:

“Hosting Tornado during her main line trials confirms the NRM’s position as the centre of all things rail. Not only was York the final home of the Peppercorn class A1s but the original drawings used to recreate this extinct class of steam locomotive are preserved by the NRM and without them this fantastic project, which has been over 18 years in the pipeline, would not have been possible. We’re very excited to see Tornado make an appearance in the NRM’s Great Hall next week - we are certain she will draw a lot of attention and attract many visitors to the Museum.”

Mark Allatt, chairman of The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust added:

“We are looking forward to introducing our locomotive to new generations of enthusiasts at the NRM. Tornado at the NRM is the next chapter in the story of a project that many said could never be completed. In 1990 a group was formed with a vision and the determination to make it succeed – to build and operate a Peppercorn class A1 Pacific steam locomotive for main line and preserved railway use. 18 years later, and thanks to that shared vision and determination, Tornado turned her wheels in anger for the first time on 1st August 2008 in front of the world’s press. It is thanks to our more than 2,000 regular monthly and other donors, our sponsors led by William Cook Cast Products Limited and the hard work of our volunteers and contractors that all that remains now between Tornado and main line operations is the successful completion of her tests and trails programme on Network Rail in November. The Trust is now looking to the great British public to help us get Tornado onto the main line passenger service by making a donation, sponsoring a component, taking part in our covenant scheme and/or our £500,000 bond issue. There is only £50,000 to help fund a support coach and £66,000 to pay for tests and trials between now and Tornado's main line début.”

17. aperture

aperture Member

Professional Photographer
    I've been a newsman,Flip..

Spent my life in the media...the policy of newspapers is to focus on current news of national importance.
    Once the glamour of A.1 wears off,news gathering for this engine will wane.It's only because it's new,hand built,and British,the press run up the flag.Editors tend to be fickle and know the real interest will lay in trivia like who's sleeping with who.

Trivia sells papers,especially amongst the women readership...newspapers must hold onto this market at all cost,only because readers are dropping off through costs and freebies.

Engineering is down at the bottom of the pecking order-a new achivement is all wonderful for 5 minutes but tomorrow becomes fish & chip paper.

Of course,as it mentioned on last nights TV,the organisers are worried that the momentum for the Olympic games will wane,because another 4 years wait will become one huge bore.The media have a habit of knocking things with costing,scandals..and this will happen over the coming years.

The general public have a boredom threshold and need a constant barrage of titbits to stimulate their boring lives.Scandal is always a good seller.

As a railway fan,(I am too),I understand you would like this publicity to last forever...

And just to put you in the picture,I come from a whole generation of railway workers dating back to Brunel's days,engineers,boilermakers,engine drivers,planners,etc.So our family have a long history of railways and the shop floor,more than most.

18. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

i dont think anyone expects Tornado's current level of publicity to remain forever, but there certainly seems enough sustained interest to get some good coverage for her first mainline run. With that getting some good column inches/air time it should certainly help sell seats, and fingers crossed she'll stay in the public conciousness to a certain extent. Only time will tell.

Chris

19. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Unable to qualify for Heritage Lottery Funding in its build, the loco has made history and so will it qualify when the overhaul is due?

20. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

I wouldn't expect the A1 Trust to ned to have lottery funding to overhaul Tornado but she is historic now as she is the first completely new main line steam loco built for 48 years complete and running but you never know with bureaucracy.