If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Leander's Shovel, Oct 20, 2007.

1. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    my figure, like hermods are dbhp. so that sounds about right.

240P15 likes this.
  2. Hermod

Hermod Member

Britannia max indicated 2200 horsepower and max drawbar horsepower 2000 at 45 mph

2700 ihp and 2300 dbhp from Tornado is hard to believe.

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

When I had Tornado with 11 on north of Perth in 2012, I calculated the DBHP as around 2100 between MP 44 and MP 49 on the climb to Drumochter where we were sustaining around 37 mph. That seemed at the time close to the limit.

4. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    But as explained by Graeme Bunker quite sufficiently, it’s not about time so much as pathing.

The use of a water carrier makes minimal difference in context of what paths are available to Tornado.

MarkinDurham likes this.
  5. Big Al

And putting this all in perspective, the distance travelled between water stops and at what speed is probably the least of the concerns of the A1ST at present.

To my mind, if the loco finds itself earning money again this side of the August Bank Holiday, I'll be very surprised.

Jerr Grey likes this.
  6. 240P15

240P15 Well-Known Member

I have search through my private "library" and have found some information of the A1 class from the part 2A of LNER locomotives published by RCTS.
    From a test run with locomotive no. 60128 in 1949 it showed a remarkable performance , and the average maximum drawbar horsepower was recorded to 2295. And bear in mind that this was an original locomotive, Tornado is a new build with several improvements from the original.

Knut:)

7. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    It's not about speed over a mile it's about staying out of the way of other traffic, a train doing 125 mph from a point 10 miles behind a train doing 75 mph it will take 10 minutes to catch it up. If the front train was doing 90 it would take just over 13 minutes. A twenty mile separation and the difference is 6 minutes and so on. On a crowded main line that can make the difference between catching a double yellow and not as the slower train is moved out of the way

S.A.C. Martin and Hirn like this.
  8. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    I'd agree. As said elsewhere, the Stanier Pacific 6234 achieved over 3300ihp and 2511 dbhp. While I don't say that an A1 could equal that (speaking as an LMS men!), I'd imagine it could get pretty close.

240P15 and S.A.C. Martin like this.
  9. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

There are some odd differences in dimensions. If the figures from Wikipedia are correct, an A1, a MN and Duke of Gloucester all have similar sizes of firebox and total heating surface. A Duchess also has a similar size of firebox but a much greater total heating surface. I'm not sure what that means for either short-term or sustained power output.

10. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    These road tests were carried out by Rugby Testing Station. Are the results not in the RTS archive at the NRM?

11. sir gilbert claughton

sir gilbert claughton Well-Known Member

retired

The Rugby tests were followed by controlled road testing .
    no , the results are not in the archive . regrettably the record is incomplete . many other tests are missing also
    the 46225 tests were never made public and were probably destroyed - she may well have exceeded 6234 's record - we will never know

12. Hermod

Hermod Member

From a book by a designer of model locomotives,Martin Evans 1960,
    highest recorded dbhp
    Britannia was 2250 and engine mass 94 tons. 24 dbhp per ton.
    A4 2250 103 22 dbhp/ton.
    Duchess 2511 106 24 dbhp/ton
    From Knuts archive /Martin Evans combined
    A1 2295 104 22 dbhp/ton

13. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer
    How many trains stop for 30 mins on the East cost mainline ! and how many miles were passed for 90 mph running only small sections .

14. Big Al

I think it is much simpler than that. The pathing of steam charters uses a computer model. The acceleration of steam is different from electric and diesel so the input data has to reflect that. If the loco has a maximum speed of 90 (rather than 75 or 60) then that obviously creates more pathing opportunities. Even so, it is possible to tweak the model to create gaps in the network where the computer may not immediately create one. For example, I believe that some manual tweaking took place over the Bittern 90 mph runs.

So the whole premis of a higher maximum speed and input data giving potentially more pathing slots has to be sensible. Combine that with the fact that Tornado is fairly water efficient and can get from King's Cross to York with only one water stop and you can perhaps understand why the A1ST is going down this route. In my view though, multiple pick up points kill off the potential for decent schedules. Out of KGX, it all gets messy if you start adding other pickups after Stevenage.

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  15. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Yup. Let's suppose the commercial remit is to run from KX to York in under four hours in the ECML traffic with one stop to pick up the M25 traffic at Potters Bar. Then leaving KX at 0815 you have to run 93 miles from Potters Bar to Grantham in 75 mins to arrive at 0955 just before the 0900 ex KX flight. Then you can depart after the 0930 flight and make it to York at 1145 just before the 1000 ex KX. That's going to be a 75mph path, but to do it you obviously need the freedom to run in the 80s which is after all what the A1s did every day for two decades. The water stop issue is pretty much a red herring because you are really just using a pathing stop to fill up. It is the combination of Tornado's water capacity/utilisation and permission to run up to 90 which makes it possible.

So, two comments. First, 90 should be viewed as a maximum rather than a target. Second, to do this as a regular commercial venture for the premium market (as opposed to once a year specials) with a single qualified loco is obviously risky.

16. Big Al

Agree with the first. The 75 limit constrains efficient operating where being able to 'run on' on the down grades before tackling uphill sections is emminently sensible and exactly what used to happen. For example the LSWR main line west of Salisbury was actually engineered with that idea in mind not that the loops and single lines allow that nowadays with steam.

And on the principle of 90 mph running as the norm, depending on who you talk to you will get differing engineering views of the sense of doing that with main line steam given their pattern of operating. But the A1ST has a long term view on this - not that it's likely to make further progress for a while now.

17. sir gilbert claughton

retired
    I would think I coal rate of 5600 lb. per hour is unlikely to be sustainable...………….

18. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    I'm also suspicious of the peak DBHP of circa 2500. There is nothing on the graph to account for it. Speed was rising, but only slowly, the regulator was fully open throughout and the cut-off lengthened by no more than one per cent, so what caused that sudden and large increase in output?

19. Hermod

Hermod Member

Can it be numerical dbhp correction for grade that makes the strange rise and jump?Train is going down and locomotive up?

20. sir gilbert claughton

retired
    my thoughts also . possibly something happened in Car itself that disturbed the trace - maybe not . there are corresponding peaks in the DB pull tons and the coal rate , plus a small increase in the cut off , so there may have been a transitory event

Nocky said that 2300 DBHP was exceeded several times. Hard to argue with that , at least.

the peak at 20.5 miles would suggest 2400 DBHP and looks reliable

further to --- I have looked at the MR gradient profile at the point in question , and find there is a short stretch of 1/170 uphill at the point in question . no more than a few hundred yards , but could explain the small increase in cut off , and possibly the power peak

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018