If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado to haul PAD to PNZ sleeper on 6 April ?

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by spicer21, Mar 5, 2014.

1. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

http://steamdreams.com/Executables/...r=71623&Route=1&Adults=2&Children=0&Infants=0

James

2. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you use your 'loaf' I'm sure you'll come up with something better than that !!!

3. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I just looked and its still on the website and I received an email about this trip and the York trip ( both with 60007) earlier.

4. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Might knock a few out of their bunks as well ! :)

david1984 likes this.
  5. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Well they sent an email today promoting it

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Can you be very clear about what the "it" is that the e-mail you are referring to was promoting, please? Was the e-mail from Steam Dreams? Did you receive it yourself? If not, have you at least seen the e-mail? I think there's a risk of two quite separate things being confused.

Steam Dreams are promoting a trip from Westbury to Kingswear on 10th April. It's been on their web-site for several months, and the rostered loco is 60007. Naturally, there's been a lot of uncertainty over whether this trip would run as planned on that date, though it now appears to have been confirmed.

Unless I've missed something, that's entirely different from the rumours Andy Roden has been spreading on Twitter about Tornado hauling the Paddington-Penzance sleeper on 9th April, which the poor spokesmen from FGW, NR and others have been trying to damp down without actually denying them completely, just in case someone higher up is taking the idea seriously!

green five and Drysdale like this.
  7. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Yes, the email came to myself earlier today and was promoting SNG on two tours for SD, one to York on 29 March, and to Kingswear on 10 April. It was the 10 April tour I believed was being referred to as having been taken down from SD's site, hence my post re the email I'd received. Nothing to do with the PAD to PNZ sleeper rumour, which continues to simmer away quietly.

8. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Cheers :) That makes sense. And I've made a cock-up in my post too - the first sleeper will be 6th April, not 9th, whatever hauls it.

spicer21 likes this.
  9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

And maybe also featuring Fermenting Manor, Sod Hall, Lackin Grange, Black Forest Castle and Burger King

Drysdale and spicer21 like this.
  10. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

Tornado will be at the Dicot Railway Centre on 6th April so no major LE movement to worry about.

11. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Will it be considered to be stirring if I point out that the sleepers will need a diesel on the rear?
    Something will need to provide the eth to the sleepers coaches......
    Also the DL will be required to work the up sleeper train on the next evening.

(Sorry, I was letting practical railway operation get in the way of a good rumour.)

Cheers, Neil :rolleyes:

12. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

It's ok, I think that's been stated already earlier in the thread. I also put it to Graeme Bunker, (of the A1 Group) on Twitter that a 57 would have to be in the "consist" and he is yet to respond so I'd suggest it's a "yes" !

13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    The answer is yes to the question but that's not a problem and it is there for the return.

14. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Quite, though I'd suggest the return thing could be got round another way. The main reason it would need to be there is power related.

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

16. tromba

tromba New Member

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/...tornado-steam-engine-on-night-riviera-sleeper

Oh I think it is pretty dead and buried.

And reading between the lines, the PR Dept at FGW doesn’t seem to be too happy about having to deal with the rumor at all. I would imagine they have their hands full dealing with the disruptions from the continuing closure at Dawlish and don’t need to be dealing with some “off the wall” fantasy from some twit on twitter.

And just because NetRail say the line will reopen in the first week of April, I doubt if it will be 100% capacity day one. Why on earth would FGW want to take the risk of something going wrong and upsetting the public even more than they already are.

However, wasn’t the original date for this “idea” April 1st? A long-lead for an April-fools? If so, count me in as one of the “had!”

17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Good, good. Now for the next 'in-credible' outing...

18. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Just for the record, the "twit on twitter" to whom you refer is not a twit at all but a respected journalist and railway supporter to whom a lot is owed for helping to save the Night Riviera service when it was threatened with being withdrawn.

I am sure I don't speak only for myself when I say that historically, your user name, "TROMBA" seems to be linked with some extremely provocative and juvenile posts. It is also noticeable that despite joining in 2012 you are still classed as a "new member" which leads one to question the purpose behind the setting up of your account in the first place !

19. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It came from America then?

20. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

That FGW page says "First Great Western supports the use of heritage traction on the national network, including steam, Indeed we are working closely to facilitate one such operation in May ...". There are TWO specials to Plymouth scheduled in May, on 9th and 10th. Is FGW supporting one but not the other? Or is it just a slip-up from the over-stressed PR department?