If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado to haul certain timetabled trains on S&C: Feb 14-16

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by GWR4707, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

yeah.... right....

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This post by @Dobbs0054 is trolling in my view. For your benefit, as I think everyone else already knows:
    1. This is a DBC charter and I can't recall on any rare occasion when a diesel has been in the mix that it has provided traction. (We all recall how wrong the armchair and lineside commentators got it on Braunton's Crystal Palace Footex).
    2. I have been told that the diesel will provide heat for the air con stock. It will also do a bit of shunting, I imagine.
    3. The load with the diesel is well within the capability of Tornado, even on the S&C.
    I'm more than happy to be proved wrong but please, do stop wasting bandwidth with such comments even if you think it's funny, which it is not.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Your positive attitude is an inspiration to us all. :rolleyes:
    I get the distinct impression that you want everything to go wrong just so you can say "I told you so." Some steam enthusiast you are.

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Quite so. IIRC Wayne posted after the footex and explained all about diesels on the rear with DBC. Need to look out the post but I'm sure he said they don't use them to shove in the same fashion at WCRC do.

5. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Not what would be described as a positive thinker are you and your posts are getting tiresome. Some time ago Wayne Thompson went to the trouble of describing the DBS policy on diesel assistance and in normal circumstances they are not allowed to. As a DBS driver I would suggest he knows a lot more about it than you do. To back that up I have photographed the Belmond Pullman many times over the years which has a diesel at the rear during the heating season and when it's gone past me I have never heard the diesel working.

Spamcan81 and 60017 like this.
  6. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Actually no, you are wrong. I really hope that this is a huge success. I just fear for the regular passengers being left at either end of the service train or being stranded at an intermediate station, no matter how few there are. If you cannot see the risk and the PR nightmare that could ensue then you must be blind to reality and insensitive to the needs of normal passengers. Looking at the facebook comments alone shows the concerns of the locals. Fingers crossed for all.

7. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Looking forward to this even with all the rubbish being spouted so a good day or two on the S&C has to be a bonus whatever happens :):)

Monopodmansdad and Shep Woolley like this.
  8. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    I've just spent 20 minutes reading the Northern FB page and what a read it was !

9. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

This collaborative alliance comprises Northern, Network Rail, DB Cargo, the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust and Friends of the S&C. So what have RTC to do with this?

I see that you also disbelief that the diesel will not assist despite it being stated to the contrary.

Another excuse for you to replay your record again then.

Dave B

Spamcan81, 46223, Johnb and 1 other person like this.
  10. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

RTC have nothing to do with this enterprise. The point I was making is that Northern are shown as partners on the RTC tour guides on tours starting in the North. It just struck me that if they understand the attraction to steam on the mainline and the demand for it, their partnership with RTC may have informed them on potential demand from the enthusiast market for these Service Trains.

11. Groks212

RAIL and Steam Railway came up with the proposal two years ago so one would assume they would know of the potential demand.

Dave B

12. Groks212

Found Waynes post but don't know how to link to it so have copied and pasted:

Wayne said:
    Forget assistance, DBC management would take a dim view of us giving assistance on the rear of a train except for laid down locations and emergencies. Laid down locations would be in the sectional appendix of the rule book, or any officially agreed working due to special circumstances of an individual train. Generally if a 67 is in the consist, on the rear of a train, it will be isolated and shut down. If it is required for train ETH requirements the loco will obviously need to be running, and the 'head end' power (ETH) running. In this circumstance the loco 'must' have a driver on the loco. The loco would be be 'isolated for towing', no power to the traction motor's would be possible. This was the case Sunday. There is a way that a 67 can be set up to provide power on the rear, but the driver would need to keep the loco's master switch in the direction required, the deadmans would need to be depressed (SFF every 90 seconds) and the AWS will be going off every signal. Which set up would you choose!
    The change over between the two can not be done on the move.
    Also, as I mentioned earlier on this thread, a 67 when operating ETH is running at quite high engine revs. They are quite regularly mistaken for applying power. Even railway people have been caught out, including inspectors.

Dave B

Spamcan81 likes this.
  13. dmhodge

dmhodge New Member

Retired
    Extra coach being added.

iancawthorne likes this.
  14. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

I stand corrected and contrite.

15. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

That's good news.

16. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Equivalent load 12, lovely jubbly !

17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Really? I've been on about 9 trips with RTC in the north over the last two years, and I haven't seen any reference to a partnership in their guides. They might provide tickets with an industry discount, but that's probably about it.

18. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  19. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

Warning to rail enthusiasts ahead of Tornado visit
    [​IMG]
    1:34pm 9th February 2017

Steam train fans are being urged to keep off the tracks and enjoy a safe day out when the Tornado replaces regular scheduled services on the Settle to Carlisle line next week.

The arrival of the engine, the first steam hauled, scheduled main line passenger service in Britain in 50 years, has been secured by Northern Rail, Network Rail and the Friends of Settle and Carlisle after a section of the line near Armthwaite was closed 12 months ago following a landslip.

Rail enthusiasts are expected to flock to stations along the route of the Tornado, to capture the steam engine in all its glory, but are being warned that anyone who trespasses on the route will be dealt with robustly.

The Tornado will make two return journeys on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from Appleby to Skipton.

British Transport Police officers will patrol the route from Appleby to Skipton over the three days and encourage enthusiasts to enjoy the spectacle while remaining at a safe vantage point.

Insp Neil Hubbs from the British Transport Police said:

“We understand people are excited about seeing the Tornado and want them to enjoy the occasion and of course, have a great day out.

Our priority is the safety of the public and passengers viewing and travelling on the train. The railway is a hazardous environment and we urge people who are planning on attending to use safe vantage points to view and take pictures of the train, stay clear of the line and not to risk their lives and the lives of others by trespassing on the tracks, and to respect local landowners by not trespassing on any private land.

Our aim is that the public understand the dangers, are responsible, stay within the law and most importantly - keep safe.

Trespassing on the tracks to view the service will not be tolerated says BTP. Not only is it extremely dangerous and can result in the train’s journey being delayed, but it is an offence. Anyone who ignores these warnings risks being brought before the courts and could face a fine of up to £1,000 and a criminal record.”

20. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Dont remember hearing of any probs last time Tornado ran on the S&C
    Mountain out of moal hill syndrome time again
    I would think biggest problem will be controlling the people travelling

sgthompson, Linesider and Johnb like this.