If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado in the triangle

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by 1X99, Mar 16, 2009.

1. 1X99

1X99 Member

Went down yesterday, bit dissapointed T was barriered off (somewhere I had read you would be able to walk around it ad get up close during this period. Not saying this was the fault of the NRM though, I half think I might have read that in a Trust release even.)

Is she going to be in the triangle again next weekend, or somewhere else in the hall? All I want is a decent static shot with nameplates on #-o If the barriers were due to to it still being hot or oily, is the gap between now and next weekend going to be for a bit of cleaning ready for a full display?

2. alexastott

alexastott New Member

Sorry for the disappointment IX99 - it certainly wasn't intentional. Our press release did say Tornado would be in the triangle. Putting the engine there is a bit of a compromise between not being on display at all and not getting some vital electrical works done. While in the triangle our engineering team are allowed to work on the locomotive as long as we don't cause any dust or fume and at the same time members of the public can get a better view than they would if she was in the prep bay. Although I appreciate that the view isn't quite the same as being on the turntable!

Having said that, Tornado is currently back in the prep bay because the work being done at the moment can't be done in the triangle. But she'll be back on display in the triangle from tomorrow - the 19th - until Sunday 22nd.

Hope this helps anyone else planning a visit to the NRM. But please always check on the NRM website - just in case of last minute changes.

Alexa Stott
    The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust

3. 1X99

1X99 Member

Thanks Alexa. I honestly hadn't considered the work/display compromise scenrio! Looking back I realise I could/should have posted a request for clarification on here, on deciding to go down I think I had just let my imagination run away with me as to where she might be put.

4. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    Sorry if I sound a complete novice but.. Where/what is the triangle?

5. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    Its the bit where the roads into the workshop cross the footpath into the warehouse. East corner of the great hall