If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Torbay Express 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by TorbayTrains, Dec 30, 2015.

1. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Unfortunately yes ! ; and with a quick look at the next month or two I suspect predicting several more that will go the same way wouldn't be too difficult.

2. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Sun 21/8: Updated with additional shot

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    60525 and GOEdwards like this.
  3. 16Ventnor

16Ventnor Member

Retired
    My better half advises me that the A1 facebook site advises that 60163 will work Torbay Express on 4th and 11th September as well as her Belmond and SVR Venturer commitments.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Planning on travelling with Tornado tomorrow on the basis of the reasonable path that the Torbay has been given. Not certain where 60163 is at present though since it came back to Stewarts Lane on 31/8. Either way it has a busy time ahead with the TBX tomorrow and the SVR next Thursday plus the prestige Pullmans sandwiched in between on the 7th. That's an intensity probably borne of necessity to earn revenue but actually quite demanding on loco and support/maintenance team.

5. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
    Think its more to do with the (un)availability of many DBC approved locomotives at the moment...

6. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    There's some good news for you. Tornado was in steam at St. Philips Marsh this morning.

A member of the support crew said that it arrived on Wednesday. <BJ>

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  7. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Came down from Orton Mere on Weds and 'disappeared' from the timings at Willesden Jn at 2019, so presumably diverted via Acton and GWML to SPM.

8. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Although it was pretty murky this morning Tornado looked absolutely superb as it hauled it's unassisted 12 coach train through Long Ashton.

If anyone is out and about to see the TE today, look out for the newly restored Mk.1 dining coach approx. midway along the formation. It's absolutely beautiful but must have cost a fortune.

I understand that the final TE next week is fully booked. <BJ>

Harry Stanger likes this.
  9. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

My footage of Tornado in dull and windy conditions. Filmed at Highbridge and Whiteball Bank. Enjoy.

10. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Tornado once again very impressive, and as imperious as ever. Great to hear the distant wail of the chime whistle kicking in at around 0m 42 secs into the footage....anything that augments a Tornado soundtrack simply has to be a Good Thing. But most of all, I was struck by the (what seemed to be) significantly more rapid pace of the Whiteball climb compared with the 7th August outing. Difficult to pinpoint with total accuracy , but the speed passing the camera position looked to about or just a whisker below 40 mph with c. 300 metres to go to the north portal of the tunnel, which on the earlier trip, Tornado was reported to have entered at 31.2 mph (c/o 1020 Shireman post#345). Does anyone have anything on this, or indeed any other information/ insights about today's run??

11. Big Al

Tornado did everything with ease today or rather the DBC crews made it all look easy today. 12 for 455 gross, so not a particularly lightweight train but we hurried out to Weston with 75 after Nailsea and walked up Whiteball without any great effort. Into the tunnel at 46 and over the top at 43. Passed St Davids in 34 minutes from Taunton but then got stuck behind a slow running HST along the sea wall. A feisty climb up through Kingskerswell but after all the messing around along the coast we were a bit adrift of right time at Paignton. The DSR crew then took hold of Tornado by the scruff of the neck and we shot through Goodrington at a speed that they shouldn't really be doing and flew up to Churston; 26 over Broadsands Viaduct where others have come to grief before does rather dismiss any view that big wheel locos should not be trusted beyond Paignton.

Coming home there was a slight wobble after what I assume was an overfull boiler that caused Tornado to prime as we went across Britannia Crossing. Suddenly we were down to 12 mph before the crew felt comfortable opening her up again. A steady 13 mph with scarcely a slip was an impressive rescue of what could have been a very tricky moment.

We were 12 late away from Paignton and Graham Ward got stuck in trying to regain time. 33 over the top out of Paignton and 30 beyond Torre. There was a speed restriction through Dawlish but we kept booked time to Exeter. On the return, someone decided it would be a good idea to give everyone a blast of the chime whistle that had been used sparingly during the day up till then. Unfortunately it stuck so our climb beside the M5 was to a tuneful accompaniment. We were told on the train that the crew was happy to leave it till Taunton before sorting it out so we wound up to 69 through Cullompton before we caught up the 1500 PNZ-PAD that had been put out in front of us at Exeter and stopped at Parkway. As our rapid progress had now been curtailed it was decided to stop at Parkway ourselves so the whistle could be isolated. What followed will possibly never be repeated.

From starting out of Tiverton Parkway we stormed up to the summit, passing MP 174 at 49 and entering the tunnel at 52. On a bad day with a mediocre climb you could easily get that speed at the top from an Exeter start!

The path beyond Taunton is not ideal as we follow a service that calls at Bridgwater and Highbridge but we still managed a creditable 68 over the top at Flax Bourton and a right time arrival back in Bristol.

So another Tornado triumph and thanks to all the DBC crews for making it happen.

12. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Interesting comment "walked up Whiteball without any great effort. Into the tunnel at 46 and over the top at 43". I know the big engine always gives the impression of not being taxed too much but I can't find a log with a 'tunnel in' speed of more than 38 with 12 up. As a matter of fact 40+ is rarely done with 12. Similarly the 68 at Flax Bourton is seriously good for 12. And typically we had a week off....

13. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Many thanks for an engrossing account of the day's highlights. Much appreciated. And just to put into some sort of perspective how good the TVP-Whiteball restart really was, its worth noting that on the not-particularly-mediocre-but-not-particularly-special run with the Devon Belle (Load 13) back in April, Sean Emmett recorded Tornado passing TVP at 61 mph, with speed falling back to 51 mph at MP174 and around 54 mph at the tunnel - only marginally quicker than today's run.

All-in-all, it really does look like the high spots of Tornado's performance today may have been something quite special. Could it be that with one more outing on the Torbay next week, it might be possible for Tornado and its DB-C crew to eclipse even this standard of performance?? Well worth the wait to find out.........

14. Geoffers007

Geoffers007 New Member

Here's some film of Tornado I took at Bristol Temple Meads and Dawlish yesterday. Not perfect by any means, but we get to hear the stuck whistle. :)

15. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Yes, an excellent excursion that was most enjoyable.

16. JS Rail Videos

JS Rail Videos New Member

Footage of 60163 passing Exminster and Langstone Rock on Sunday.

Enjoy!

6960 Raveningham Hall likes this.
  17. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

"It isn't wrong, but we just don't do it" :D

big.stu and Jamessquared like this.
  18. Big Al

Thanks for going out to provide everyone with a precise illustration of what the Doppler Effect is all about!

19. JS Rail Videos

JS Rail Videos New Member

Not that it was an intentional Doppler! Was surprised to hear her whistling after coming through Parsons Tunnel.

20. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

P5 BRI. 60163 load 12 no diesel. We're off.

mike1522 and BillyReopening like this.