If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Torbay Express 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by TorbayTrains, Dec 30, 2015.

These things happen on occasion unfortunately. They are mechanical beings and the fall out just has to be dealt with in the best possible way for the punters. As has been pointed out many times before on here these charters are not run for enthusiasts however much we like to think maybe they are. The general public today got their Torbay trip albeit with different traction than advertised.

34098 likes this.
  1. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    ... but surely the general public booked because it was steam. There are plenty of diesel trips between Bristol and Paignton, which are much cheaper.

Harry Stanger likes this.
  2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    All of that is fair comment. When a loco fails its FTR you are almost always stuck with a diesel replacement as it's too late to cancel at that point. When the loco is fine but then NR insists that it is diesel assisted (as in Kent) and the diesel is needed for a turning move then there is precious little else that can be done.

3. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

More likely that 46100 works a Torbay Express in the future than 66093...

4. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

It would be unfair to the general public to say that they didn't mind that it wasn't steam. There was a lot of disappointment. I heard one father describe having to tell his children upon arrival at Temple Meads as 'heartbreaking'. That is not to say that they could not get enjoyment out of the day, but not having steam was a significant disappointment. Whilst the terms and conditions are being complied with, most people travelled because to not do so would mean losing significant amounts of money.

pete12000 and Harry Stanger like this.
  5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Since the NWCE went into Llandudno, how was the train expected to reverse out of the branch, there was always going to be a diesel in the consist, and as an aside it earned extra income from the diesel cranks wanting the haulage on that branch, and Chester to Liverpool on the return.

sycamore likes this.
  6. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

What I meant in my post about the event not being repeated was from the customers point of view on a special occasion. Yes, I have no doubt that 46100 will return. The special birthday or anniversary will not. We have to stop viewing through our myopic prism of rail enthusiasts and see the human impact on paying customers as in post 205 above.

We can carry on doing the same things and getting the same result or we can think outside the box (forgive the pun) and look at alternative ways of delivering. This may prove more costly but reputation is a stake.

Harry Stanger likes this.
  7. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

I've been on the NWCE without diesel assistance. The move to and from Llandudno did not present a problem then. The loco marshalled it's own stock at Holyhead.

See it can be done!

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    So how do you propose to stop locos failing the ftr exam?

9. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Just a thought. Why does the FTR not take place 2 days before the tour giving time to address any issues that may arise? Had that happened here, Tornado could have reached Bristol during Saturday and everyone would have been happy. Or, with an extra day, the issue which caused the FTR failure, could have been repaired.

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  10. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

It involves the loco being in steam longer not to mention the need for support crew to be available over a longer period. And then there is the coal consumed, Remember that the FTR exam involves the need to test the safety valves. The other point is that if the FTR exam throws up any boiler related problem such as mud hole doors that might weep after a wash out, the loco has to be cooled before work can be done and two days will not be enough time to sort it out.

Logistically there is some sense in a loco running on two consecutive days if enough support crew and TOC crew are available as the original FTR remains current and a second one is not needed for day 2. That is why Tornado could have done the TBX after the Scot failed. As we discovered though, sometimes it's other operational factors that get in the way.

What screws up this kind of creativity is the fact that charter operators don't work together on dates and so, for example, the RTC wouldn't dream of running two trips at a weekend on the Saturday and the Sunday out of the same location to different destinations with the same loco. Or the RTC running on the Sat and SD on the Sun.

Harry Stanger and Dobbs0054 like this.
  11. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Hatherton Hall at post 210 has beaten me to it one suggestion. It's a start. If the FTR was done sooner a faults found then as he says, repairs can be made or an alternative loco found as could have been the case this weekend. Maybe a bit of blue sky thinking is needed all round.

12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Without knowing the rules regarding FTR exams, it's all guesswork I'm afraid.

13. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Maybe you need to get realistic, you can't just wave a wand and get a replacement loco, a support crew will have to be put together, the TOC will need a crew and a path to get it to the trains start point. Perhaps you could join a loco owning society, volunteer for support crew duties and see what it's like at the business end. If we take this week's example, Tornado's support crew had probably been up since silly o'clock in the morning travelling considerable distances to Stewarts Lane, can you really expect them to then lose another nights sleep travelling to Bristol to do the Torbay?

EveningStar92220 likes this.
  14. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

You can think inside the box as long as you like. Meanwhile experiences like this will lead to a haemorrhage of paying customers leaving main line steam uneconomic. Big Al at post 211 makes a valid point an a joined up industry. A root and vine review, probably best led by outsiders with no baggage such as "we do it this way because we have always done it this way." The system needs external review and FULL stakeholder involvement as to how to make improvements. Sorry but that probably means two things. 1. Doing things differently - scary to many. 2. Tours may cost a little more.

15. chessie1

chessie1 New Member

Retired
    ...or possibly people like yourself, with all the 'bright ideas' getting out of the armchair, joining an organisation and actually making a difference.

No? I didn't think so.....

As for doing the FTR earlier, who's to say that a fault won't manifest itself between the FTR and the run, as indeed it did with 34046 (52) on July 15th?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  16. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Quite agree. Used to be called a 'Root and Branch' review and best done by outsiders with access to all the appropriate people - with a short time scale to complete the review. As far as pricing goes, its a very difficult situation for promoters. Personally I think they are too low but there's been a recession and we're probably going to see another one so that rather dictates the disposable income we have to spend on our 'non-essentials'. Costs are rising and reality will bite sooner than later I think. I'm not making a fuss about yesterday despite losing £140 as we don't do diesels and didn't travel. However before we left we heard many very derogatory comments from a lot of seriously unhappy people at BTM yesterday. It was an absolutely full train and they're not the typical London destination travellers who don't care if it;s Steam for Show or even diesel only.

Comments were made about the appalling lack of information on Social Media or Websites when they found out the failure was known about at 1900 hrs on Saturday. TBEL give little thought to passengers many of who had driven for hours to get there. I spoke to a party who'd left home at 0400 to get there and they'd checked TBEL's site and Faceache/Twitter the night before and were appalled at there being nothing on them about the FTR failure. They'd have stayed at home as would many others. An 0800 start off BTM is impossible to get to other than by driving and they must know that. As I said in an earlier post, there was no-one senior from Pathfinder/TBEL on the platform before 0730 ish. Promoters must get that it just isn't good enough to apologise when it's too late for people to do anything. Cynical some would call it.

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  17. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

One voice is meaningless. But if someone wants to pay my consultancy fees to cover my loss of income, then yes I would be happy to take up a role bringing change. This is not a job for a volunteer in one organisation. It is folly to ever consider it such. It needs a pan industry review at a higher level. And that will cost for the management of it. There you will get lots of bright ideas and change - something many do not want.

18. chessie1

chessie1 New Member

Retired
    Ah, consultants. To be fair it has to be said that the consultancy and the rail industries haven't historically made the happiest of marriages...why would it be any different in this case?

19. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Consultants in this context can be roughly translated as parasites. Pay us lots of money and we will come up with the same recommendations as any reasonably intelligent twelve year old could do.