If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Torbay Express 2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 5944, Feb 2, 2015.

1. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Details announced today.

24th May - via Bath and Westbury
    14th June - via Weston super Mare
    12th July - via Bath and Westbury
    26th July - via Weston super Mare
    2nd August - via Weston super Mare
    23rd August - via Weston super Mare
    13th September - via Bath and Westbury
    20th September - via Bath and Westbury

No news on locos yet though.

2. 61994

61994 Member

3. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
  4. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    With no GW engines available I'll look forward to that lineup. The class 25 on the DSR might be busy giving a helping hand this year.

5. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Be good to see 60163 back on the TE. Do we know what livery she should be wearing ? Also, good to see some services running via Bath, Trowbridge etc, though limited Sunday Service trains likely to make it difficult to make those early dep times without staying the night before, or driving I'd imagine.

6. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think 60163 is coming back in Apple Green with British Railways on the tender

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Look carefully at the British Pullman schedule as that should give you clues as to when Tornado may be in the frame for a TBEx.

8. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Interesting line up for sure. No 34046? Guess she won't be ready in time. 60009 is a surprise. I wonder if she will be in Bristol for most of the summer or head up to Crewe later.

9. maureen

maureen Member

Yes Tornado will be in Apple Green. I liked her in Apple Green and the blue livery, didn't like the Brunswick Green.

mike1522 likes this.
  10. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

IIRC, the plan is for 6 months in the works, but as always it depends on what they find while stripping down. Assuming all goes more-or-less to plan, she's likely to be 1st reserve for other LSL locos. I don't suppose all the locos currently rostered for trains later in the year will actually be fit on the day. But we digress...

11. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Indeed. Also interesting this year, is the tours in May and June. IIRC, the last time a TBEx ran in May was 2010, but I'm pretty sure there were more runs in the 2010 season as a whole. For me, the May and June runs would be the best bets if booking now as there'll be plenty of daylight, and going by last year, and the year before, the least likelihood of disruption due to fire risk.

walmsley73096 likes this.
  12. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Latest Pathfinder brochure plus TBEx leaflet dropped through the letterbox this morning. Beautifully produced I have to say, and should do a good job tempting people to travel.

Not entirely sure what the Std fare was in 2014, but £95 this year seems expensive to me, especially given there's no discount for joining at one of the stations later in the journey. I suspect many will choose the Royal Duchy this year if they want a journey over that route which continues to offer more steam mileage for less money.

13. maureen

maureen Member

I for one will choose the Duchy again, I haven't travelled on the Torbay since Past Time Rail's unfortunate demise, to get the best from the Torbay you need to be able to join at Bristol and it being a Sunday no trains would get me to Bristol in time would mean 2 nights B/B in Bristol an added expense to the trip, The Royal Duchy's with the added bonus of the South Devon banks with Ray Churchill in control is much more my cup of tea.

14. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Indeed, I'm with you. The original PTR concept was an affordable day out, and if memory serves me right, the first season only featured std class owing to the booked loco, a GWR Hall IIRC being limited to 6 / 7 vehicles. Since then it has evolved into more of a luxury day out it seems, (nothing wrong with that), but like many others I'm sure, I'd love to see where each £1 in that £95 for a std class seat ends up, not to mention the 225 for one in Dining !

Why staggered fares pegged to joining points can't be made available is also still a mystery. I guess most join at Bristol for the reasons of value for money, but those who have to join at Taunton, really have to pay the same as those who enjoy around 60 more miles behind steam ?

15. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    The train costs X thousand pounds to run, and it therefore seems reasonable that all passengers in each class share this cost equally. If you offered to stagger fares and everybody got on at the last pick up point then who would pick up the tab for the rest of the run?

16. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Yes, well it's that "X" that remains the object of mystery of course, as we don't know what proportion of the fares paid are covering costs, and how much is profit. Without that information, we can't be sure there'd be a shortfall if those getting less, paid less. Not saying anything is wrong with a large proportion being profit, I just think it would be nice if these things were made transparent. Other Operators manage to stagger fares after all, most notably RTC, so why the difference ?

17. malc

malc Part of the furniture

By that argument, if I catch, for example. the 10.37 Virgin Trains service from Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly on a weekday, I should pay £164.50 (the same as a passenger from London Euston), rather than £2.30?

18. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Yes, I think there is some argument for each passenger in each class sharing the cost, (even though that cost remains a mystery), but to say those joining much later in the journey should share the cost as well is stretching a point I feel.

19. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

The travel network is full of people sitting next to each other on trains and planes who have paid different prices for the same journey. That is actually also true on charters - special advance discounts, frequent traveller/club reductions, on the day prices, RTC offers etc etc.

20. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Indeed, the same principle is often applied, but the big difference I think Malc was pointing out to be fair, is that fares on the National Rail network, regardless of ticket type, are determined primarily by the number of miles being travelled.

In the case of charters, this principle is occasionally applied, but not reliably, so any discount enjoyed is usually discretionary, and somewhat random.