If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'Torbay Express' 2013

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by free2grice, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Midland Red

Midland Red New Member

Nice video KristianGWR. Good to see 5029 out, and some familiar support crew faces at Paignton. Did you get to paddle in the sea?

2. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    That stinking box was chucking out a darn sight more clag than 5029 at Newton Abbot. The thing was really going for it as well even there. Looks like the box driver was really lapping it up as well leaning out of the cab grinning.

3. rule55

rule55 Member

Good grief!

I dislike the term 'box' as much as I dislike steam locos being called 'kettles'. I'm guessing that the alternative to having the 'stinking box' running in tandem behind 5029 would have been to have it on its own. I'd say that what prevailed yesterday was probably the best that could have been hoped for under the circumstances - both for the majority of passengers and the tour promoter. I'm guessing that no lineside fires were reported on NR metals?

And FWIW I'd have probably been leaning out of the window grinning had I been the driver on the class 47!

KristianGWR likes this.
  4. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

Ta very much :) Was lovely to see Nunney again, hadn't seen her for nearly two years. Didn't get time for a dip in the sea, but at least I got to 'sea' it!
    I'll get my coat.

5. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    Hopefully this combo can continue until some rain appears, we need to hear the castle bark once again

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You really do hate diesels don't you, and cannot resist having a go when ever possible. Why not just give it rest please. Also why should the driver not be grinning, should he be sitting there all miserable and sour faced, he probably enjoys his job and I'd be grinning from ear to ear driving anything from a Pannier to a Pendalino....

7. buseng

Retired
    Got it in one, yes!
    One of a small minority then, he's even lucky to have one. Unlike some people I know who can't get a job for love or money after he was booted out by some pig of a boss. HE IS NOT A SCROUNGER EITHER even though he is on benefits, as mentioned on another topic today. He has no choice.

8. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    So you obviously haven't seen the last couple of pages about it having to run with a 47 on the inside so the train didn't get cancelled due to this sunshine. It's probably the best summer the UK has had for a few years although not ideal for main line steam at the minute.

Just venture back into your dark, wet and miserable cave and go back to hibernating!

9. buseng

Retired
    I take great exception to that remark, keep your witty comments to yourself! Lucky I didn't report it.

10. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Oh for heavens sake you are so negative, on what do you base "One of a small minority then, he's even lucky to have one." I know many drivers who work for a variety of companies, from Virgin, Northern to DBS and West Coast, all enjoy their job, and as for being lucky to have one, again a load of biased rubbish. Unemployment in this country is not the high % that you seem to be implying.
    It's always someone else's fault if you lose a job isn't it, never the individual, got to be the bosses fault. And who is this person, not you by any chance, which would explain this bitter outburst of bile.

11. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Perhaps time for everyone to cool it, maybe - and lets not drag another thread into politics, especially when it is in a steam section.

Steven

12. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Yep. Reckon the heat is taking it's toll tonight.

13. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yeah yeah, what ever!

I have more things to worry about than you or your rediculous, narrow minded comments. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to 5029 and the Torbay Express.

14. buseng

Retired
    No it's not me, I'm retired thankfully. Someone I know & he is at his wits end trying to find a job. Even contemplated suicide. He was treated like s@%t at his last one before he was booted out. Jobs aren't handed out on a plate as you seem to imply.

15. buseng

Retired
    You can say that again!

16. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

But without the apostrophe, preferably.

17. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Whoever edits my Owl book is going to have one hell of a job!

My old dad used to comment, "Either your English is crap, or you seem to write some of your "s"s with an extra bit on the top"

18. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Even road signs are putting "HGV's" now, it's a shame...

19. royals pete

royals pete Member

I think Buseng is suffering from the ban of steam through Reading now; and I do realise that we have been very fortunate over the last few years at seeing plenty through here. If I had a gripe....Radio Berks yesterday interviewing NR rep on the electrification ' The HST s have been chugging up and down this line for 40 years now; time for a change' :mad:.... 'chugging'...125mph, worlds fastest diesel service, all units upgraded/refurbished few years back. '40yrs'..get your facts right. Perhaps its me but I just don't like hearing incorrect facts like these from someone who really should know them better. Does anyone else get annoyed like this? Oh well...onward and upward.....Pete

20. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

People from organisations that front TV are usually from PR and will therefore 'spin' the story. I guess 'chug' is ok in that context and I have seen these HSTs when they start so something cleaner and quieter is, I guess, a good news story. That said, the FGW 'through the window' experience is a better one than in the coffin-like cabin of a Pendolino. Little wonder then that the Torbay Express experience is popular with the public. Big windows in open carriages.

KentYeti likes this.