If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'Torbay Express' 2013

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by free2grice, Dec 30, 2012.

1. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

That is what I have been told as well. Not good.

The TE has run in previous years with much longer dry spells. Crews have been careful on Whiteball and I don't believe TE has ever set a fire.

2. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

I think you are right and this seem to be a knee-jerk reaction.

Reality is that the West County is no drier than other parts of the UK and what is more, temperatures are going to be higher elsewhere such as the South East and so if it is good for the WC to cancel steam tours, why not elsewhere

Don't forget that Nunney Castle has a spark arrestor which will have been tested as part of its return to steam certification and coupled with that. careful and responsible driving by the DBS drivers should ensure that there will have been no line side fires.

And even if there were, sparks from the brakes of diesel or electric locomotives can just as easily do the same.

A joke really.

3. Robbo

Robbo Member

4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    the suggestion is that we are in for a prolonged dry spell with this high pressure staying around .

This I'm sure is going to cause massive problems for Torbay Express with no Steam Haulage

What about the Weymouth's is the next question

5. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I do think they have the right to do that, any lineside fire that causes disruption to other trains is not good for all main line steam.

But it needs to be a firm decision and properly communicated with some speed.

I don't think we've had a long spell of fire risk bans for a while now have we?

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What confuses matters is that 70013 has run, seemingly without incident, to York today and it's certainly dry up here. Also no sign yet of 60163's run being cancelled tomorrow. Has 5029 earned a reputation of something of a fire thrower in the past or is the fire ban a regional thing?

7. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

I know its not relevant but having done 2 hours on the BBQ at the kids school fete (Bath) I wouldn't want to be firing in the same heat tomorrow. I'd wonder if they'd need a second crew! 26C in the shade was the peak today with hotter forecast for tomorrow, I have some sympathy with NR's decision. It does feel round here like anything that got away from a steam loco could be pretty serious.

8. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Of course NR have the right to impose a ban, after a couple of weeks of very hot dry weather I would say fair enough, but after 2 days? No we haven't had bans for sometime but when did we last have a spell of hot weather...

I also am booked on tomorrow but Son #2 will now be playing Cricket instead and the wife watching the Tennis. Real shame.

9. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    No let up I'm afraid. This is for Reading, Berkshire, but pretty much the same all over the UK.
    Says in the paper it could last up to 30 days!
    Hot Hot Hot.JPG

10. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

And in response to others too.

There needs to be consistency and speed in making such decisions. IMHO.

It is a damn shame when bans are put in place, but what really bothers me is that one day a really major fire could occur. A mega fire, that could put all main line steam at risk for a very long time.

That is until there are some oil fired locos around. I think that will happen but not after just one long hot spell follows several years of wet summers. And I have been banging the oil fired drum from well before the heat waved started. Several years on and off. But no fairy godmother has turned up to finance it for anyone yet!

But the dilemma for those running the trains and those booked on them is with us again.

And I personally hate the heat. Cold winter sunshine on crisp snow and frost with the temperature never above zero is what Yetis like.

But for now rain please, rain. Especially before the next Bittern 90 mph runs.

11. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

What's this incident with another operator on Thursday they are referring to ?.

In response to Spamcan, I'd say it's certainly a regional decision as it's being referred to as Western Region or Great Western Zone, plus there's always the possibility of conditions being different in different area's (though not currently), plus last I saw Midland Zone seemed happy with the Shakespeare to run.

While I understand being prudent is best, I do think it's a it of an itchy trigger finger, if it was next weekend and the forecast inbetween proves to be correct, then that would of made more sense, but unless I'm mistaken, didn't a band of showers pass through as recently as Tuesday night/Wednesday morning ?.

13. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    I'm told its a regional steam ban by Network Rail Great Western zone in the aftermath of 34067's train on Thursday.......

14. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

I wonder if this will lead to the cancellation of the VSOE to Bath & Bristol on the 10th July, assuming Clan Line has been repaired.

15. maddog

maddog New Member

On thursday Tangmere did decorate the down platform at worle with lots of pieces of unburnt coal(!). Though presumably that was due to having to work hard to make up time after being sent through Weston for some reason. It did seem a lot though.

16. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A new thread has started for this particular train. <BJ>

17. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

It actually set fire to part of the lineside on Upton Scudamore, a few yards from Dilton Marsh. I understand it burnt for quite a while as the following trains (including my train back to Eastleigh) were all halted just ahead of it.

James at SVN

maddog likes this.
  18. Robbo

Robbo Member

It is good to see that TBEL and 5029 websites now reflect the current situation, and it would appear that both parties were still trying to get Nunney on the train even if it was with a diesel. Very disappointing for all concerned.

19. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I find it really difficult to see how that could have been ignored, especially as it will have been almost three more days of heat before the TBEL runs.

I know it's very frustrating and easy to call the ban a knee jerk reaction or whatever, a natural reaction to the obvious frustration with which I sympathise.

But come on guys, if you were in the hot seat on this , would you let steam run and underwrite the full costs of any fires? Knowing there has already just been a lineside fire said to have been caused by a steam loco.

I doubt anyone here would do that. So why should NR etc?

No.

It's a bloody pain in the ar.s, but the only solution is rain. And lots of it.

So, when's the Lords Test match?

20. SteamHawk216

SteamHawk216 Member

Retired, my occupation for the rest of my life.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I quite agree your post has no, or at a push, very little relevance. All your remarks bring to my mind is well known saying, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."