If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

TORBAY EXPRESS 2011 Season

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by GWR, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Having non-GW locos is fine, but for me, this has to be what the Torbay Express is all about. Pure GWR

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I think 2012 may be a year to forget for GWR fans on the Torbay with 6024 out of action and 6023 unable to be used if it stays Vac only, unless the load/timings are adjusted to make Nunney Castle viable.

3. lickeybanker

lickeybanker Well-Known Member

Retired
    When was the last time 5029 did the TE?, I recall seeing it and I think it was 2003? have to agree with Stu though it has to be a GW loco, pity there is only one usually available.

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Im not sure 5029 has ever done the TE, think you may be thinking of 5051, even had 7802 back then!.

That's one of the reasons im not overly keen on DBS being a TOC for charters as it instantly cuts about 70% of potential loco's from being able to haul your train.

5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    5029 to my knowledge hasn't done a TE . 5051 was used for a number of seasons

6. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I would be wary of a DBS crew using 5029 purely because they were not used to the loco, especially on a heavily loaded train. I don't think it is coincidence that her better performances this year have been in the hands of WCRC crews who know and are used to her, as well as her being limited to 9 vehicles. There are a few locos that could benefit from having crews trained on them before they are taken out in the hands of crews who previously have had little experience on the type. I believe Bill Andrew had a couple of runs on the footplate of 5043 before he took her over Shap. Certainly 5043's stirring performances owe a lot to her being fired by Tyesley firemen who know GWR loco's inside out.

7. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    To say the Torbay crews dont know how to handle a Castle would be a bit of an insult in my eyes. 5051 and 5029 have had some of their best performances in the hands of the Barton Hill and Newport men.

Although it is a few years since they had the chance.

8. lickeybanker

lickeybanker Well-Known Member

Retired
    Yes my mistake senior moment it was of course 5051 :embarassed:

9. acorb

Certainly not meant as an insult and I don't doubt the quality of those crews. However, when a GWR loco hasn't performed at it's best it is (sometimes) the case that fireman infamilarity has been an issue. With 5029 having been crewed mostly by WCRC personnel in recent years and steam performance under scrutinty, perhaps refreshers or training should be something considered for locos that are a bit different to the big pacifics? Certainly this isn't a new idea, IIRC NELPG insisted on crew familiarisation on Blue Peter after the Durham incident.

10. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Was it not with WCRC that we stalled with 5029 on Whiteball this July however...........

11. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The fireman on the return was not familiar with a Castle.

The Fireman for the outward run was Dean Morris. My best solo runs with Nunney have been when Dean was the Fireman

12. acorb

Certainly Dean Morris and Alastair Meanley (& Bob!) seem to have perfected the art of firing GW locos. But familiarity with class is certainly an issue. Perhaps singling out DBS was unfair of me, as Alberta points our it depends on the individual whether they 'know' a loco or not. But Dean, Alastair & Bob have fired Castles and Halls probably more than most through their work with West Coast. I do stand by my point though that in the process of our industry raising its game, that crew familiarisation with locos should be a necessary requirement to reduce the risk of locos sitting down on banks like Whiteball.