If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Top Gear and The power of Clarkson

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by A4SNG, Apr 27, 2009.

1. myford

myford New Member

Unless you use demin water of course.
    Myford

2. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In case it is not mentioned elsewhere, the program is being repeated at 9.00 p.m. on BBC2 tonight.

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I see you have had experience of it as well...

4. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Watched the repeat, and I wish I had studied the gauge cocks more closely. I thought that the handles were in different positions on each one.
    I was just wondering if they were able to "stage" the low-water incident quite simply by use of the cocks.

A footplate person will surely confirm.

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The gauges weren't isolated, the water was low. However, at a guess, the exhaust injector must of turned off and stopped putting water in, resulting the water level dropping. To get water in the boiler they had to use live steam which takes steam out of the boiler, hence they shut off. After the 10mins or whatever it is was the exhaust injector must of started working again so back to as they were.

Either that or the crew staged it.

6. springers

springers Member

Now retired,used to be at sea and later worked in
    No I do not currently volunteer

Mike Notley in SR mentions subdued running before Morpeth and loads of smoke before normal service resumed after passing Pegswood.
    Colin

7. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Umm, I have been scratching my head about this. Yes we came down to 50 at Morpeth, but I'm pretty sure it's a restriction becasue brakes came on to bring us down. 60007 slowed to the same speed on 'The Coronation'. Also 60007 didn't recover until after Pegswood. That being said 60007's recovery was much more vigorous with 73 by Longhirst (Tornado 62), it's then uphill and 60163 does accelerate with 68 on the clock a mile and half later. That said I've looked through my log of the run and cann't see anywhere that we really backed off apart from for signals (Darlington, and in the latter stages) or restrictions like Morpeth.

8. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure if anybody else read the piece by James May in The Sunday Telegraph motoring section yesterday. It’s a good piece and he is pretty complimentary about rail in general although he fails to point out that in 1949 the train would have omitted coal and water stops. Anyway he said the car won by about 10 minutes so if we hadn’t got stuck behind the stopper from Drem all might well have been different. We passed Drew in 37min 41s, already slowed by the first signal check. So the stopper must only just have been ahead of us. I’m sure we could have run the remaining 17.75 miles in about 20 minutes, which would have seen us about 7 minutes ahead of eventual arrival time. Maybe the car would still have won but it really would have been close then.

9. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture