If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Toddington update - Chcken Curve slip

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by audlin, Jan 16, 2011.

1. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

I wonder how he got home? Cameraman ended up the other side of the slip to his road/rail truck! Could be a loooooong walk.

2. RASDV

RASDV Member

Stroud based Pathfinder Tours have raised a fantastic £2,500 for the GWSR's emergency appeal........more details (Rail.co news)

3. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

The SVR website reports that the 1st June special train on the SVR, plus proceeds of raffles on the train and sales from the sales stand at Kidderminster raised £3500 for the Appeal.
    Nice double-page spread of images in the Summer "SVR News", showing the "Manor" hauled special, and "Team GWR" at Kidderminster.

4. burnettsj

burnettsj Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  5. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We now know who to call: a Mr and Mrs Weir from Ayrshire, Scotland. With that sort of lottery win they won't even blink at £1 million, and no, I'm not joking, someone from the Glos Warks Rly Management get the phone book out! They can only say "no!"

6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

They've apparently fled their home following a deluge of begging letters - do you think that adding another one is a good idea?

7. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

There has been some polite comment in the Q & A section of the GWSR website about the lack of any recent update regarding the Chicken Curve slip and progress towards an engineering solution.
    Even if there isn't very much to report at present it would at the very least keep the problem from slipping out of sight ( absolutely no pun intended) if there were an update, even if it doesn't reveal much progress, as the monitoring and fundraising continues.

As an aside, if the Chicken Curve embankment has to be dug out, I wonder if the GWSR have considered approaching local landowners to see if this might be the time for an access underbridge at Chicken Curve, funded by the landowners no doubt?

8. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Hmm 3 months since an update on the Chicken curve. Some small piece of news would be great. Just not sure why you donate money to something that seems to take and give nothing at all. We wanted to help and we tried but no one seems to let us know whats going on????? not a great way to treat people who support you? Maybe an update stating whats going on and a new target of how much needs to be raised would be good? might make me want to donate a little bit more

9. Kinghambranch

Retired
    I am visiting the GWSR tomorrow all being well, so I may be able to find out a bit more; I don't expect to be told anything restricted of course. Clearly the GWSR Board will be anxious to get the Chicken Curve nightmare repaired as quickly, safely and effectively as possible. This takes time to sort out, especially as those involved are volunteers and have other calls on their time. However, I agree with Gav106 and 46118 that constant communication is vital to keep the topic at the "top of the interest pile" as it were. The background to the Chicken Curve embankment problems was a good example of earlier communication by the GWSR as it showed that the original GWR had problems with this section less than 10 years after construction. A quick "howgozit" from the GWSR now would possibly help to galvanize things amongst all its supporters I'm sure, including money.
    As regards the lottery win to which I referred in a previous post and my subsequent chastising for it by 61624 - If I ever won anything like that I would not seek the "devil's long spoon" of any publicity and I would be on the next private executive jet to, well, somewhere else. A case of don't wish to hard for your dreams I guess. At least if I did win it the GWSR would get enough money for a double track from Cheltenham High Street to Honeybourne with a brand new fleet of 5 82xxxs to play with and Didcot would get a working 111 "Great Bear" too!
    However, in the meantime let's continue to support the GWSR in any way we can.

10. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

You really should've looked at the Patriot website before posting the above message, it hasn't been updated for....3 months!

Your points are very valid though, it is a pet hate of mine that groups beg for money, with guilt trips about 'last chance to save' etc., but yet when people start to give, the information dries up and it becomes a 'need to know' basis. I've said it before - if projects do not communicate well on 'project A' then when they come to 'project B' they cannot be surprised that people do not want to contribute.

Keith

11. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Web developer
    An update is being prepared to go on the website on the Chicken Curve slip. The wording needs to be agreed before it can be posted.

Trust me, whenever updates are available they are going up on the site and Darren Fairley the director in charge has been answering questions where possible in the comments to stories.

Steve
    GWSR webmaster

12. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Web developer
  13. Kinghambranch

Retired
    SteveG, many thanks for the link and the very detailed description of work already done on Chicken Curve as well as what needs to be done. Very interesting about the "lost culvert." Also good (if I can use the word!) to know how much funding is still needed - £350,000. A lot of money but achievable if we all put a bit more in! Come on!

14. RASDV

RASDV Member

15. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Agreed, whilst the GWSR still needs more money to repair the embankment, but very useful work has been and is ongoing and its good to get such a detailed report such as this, even though we are all itching for the work to be completed. However, we all know the way to do that - money!

16. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Let's hope lots of people from here will volunteer for the clearance work as well, once they are ready to get that going. I will certainly be there to help them.

17. RASDV

RASDV Member

Just read on GWSR website about the soil nail rig that has been in action at Chicken Curve this week, putting in test soil nails which remain in place for 28 days before being taken out again to complete a stress test to find out whether in the actual repair shorter soil nails can be used. If this is the case then this would work out cheaper for the railway.
    Read the article yourself: http://www.gwsr.com/news/latest-news/chicken-curve-update-20th-oct-2011.aspx

18. daveb

daveb Member

I've just seen pictures on the GWSR P/Way Flicker site of the gang at work on the loop at Gotherington. The caption states that the loop is required for two train Santa operations.

Does this mean that Gotherington signalling is now fully operational? I haven't seen any announcements to that effect.

19. Andy B

Andy B Member

The plan is for two train santa's to pass at Gotherington loop. (the first weekend is one train). Ballasting and hand tamping (so as to not damage the new membrane) are currently in progress. Expected loco usage is 2807 and 45160 (last chances too see her in Turkish livery). 7903, subject to hot boiler exam next week (cold passed last friday) will be spare.

20. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    The level of progress is pleasing, and knowing Gotherington loop will be in use soon is a very positive step.

What livery will 45160 be going into post-Turkish?