If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Toddington update - Chcken Curve slip

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by audlin, Jan 16, 2011.

1. RASDV

RASDV Member

Sounds like some progress at least in terms of ideas has been made! Good luck!

2. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Web developer
    On the website we are running an auction for a Fred Lea original watercolour of 2807 and also I've just posted details of tours being organised to Toddington yard/shed, C&W (when open) and to the slip on Chicken Curve for a donation. Full details on the website www.gwsr.com

There are a lot of other ideas flying around at the moment so keep checking the website.

Steve
    GWSR webmaster

3. audlin

audlin New Member

As Steve mentioned above, we have some tours of Chicken Curve organised to see the embankment damage, which also includes C&W, Toddington yard and now also Toddington signalbox. The 'box is not normally accessible by the public due to it's location, so this is a rare chance to see inside.

All this in return for a donation to the appeal - more details at www.gwsr.com

Cheers,

Chris.

4. Andy B

Andy B Member

Lots happening, induviduals and other heritage railways being brilliant - thank you. Will be in a position early next week to spell out what we plan to do for 2011.
    follow this link to have something to smile about! This is the the slip at Gotherington after 6 months and approx £800,000 - not long now.

http://nigel-black.fotopic.net/p68901499.html

5. Nice to hear some slightly better news for once. Gotherington looking good.

6. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The sun was shining here in Lincolnshire this afternoon. However, the photos posted by Nigel of all the work at Gotherington has done more for my morale than the weather! Bloomin' marvellous!

7. Some much needed publicty for the appeal today: the GWSR slip appeared on page 10/11 of steam railway magazine

8. burnettsj

burnettsj Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    What does it need to do to get higher up the order? I've not heared how the appeal is going since the last slip - but the money NEEDS to some in!

Stephen

9. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Strange it was on P8/9 of the copy of Steam Railway I saw - 2nd feature in straight after the double page spread re the first chuffing of 6023.

Perhaps "Steam Railway Magazine" is a hybrid of two titles just to confuse things!!!!

There does'nt seem to have been a GWSR update since 24th Jan though.

10. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Web developer
    There was a board meeting last night to discuss this seasons operations so I should have some details to add to the website following my meeting with the commercial director tomorrow. I am also expecting an update on the progress on the work at Gotherington so things are happening we just aren't able to report them immediately. As soon as I am able to publish things I will.

Steve
    GWSR webmaster

11. My mistake! It was pages 8/9.

12. RASDV

RASDV Member

13. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Some very interesting archive material just posted on the GWR website showing landslips near Toddington and at Chicken Curve before 1924. The slip near Toddington (in the cutting) was fixed and an abutment wall built. Chicken Curve was not dealt with as thoroughly and has caused problems for the railway's owners (GWR, BR(W) and GWSR) ever since. However, this time the technology exists to do a good job. Your money please!

14. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    There's over 3000 members on here. Assuming a 1/3 are lapsed or not regular visitors, that leaves 2000 who are. Just £5 each would raise £10,000 in much needed funds. I'm not a GWR member, but it's a cracking line and would be a terrible loss to the movement.

So come on gents (and ladies) dig deep!

15. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

dad.s buying me 50 in shares for my birthday. so that's me done.

16. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    See:
    http://www.gwsr.com/news/latest-new...w-the-great-western-dealt-with-landslips.aspx

17. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Web developer
    Glad the historical stuff was interesting to everyone. I am working on getting the details of the revised timetable and events list on the site. Basically the plan is a steam service between Cheltenham Race Course and Winchcombe and a DMU service from Toddington to Hailes and Laverton. Obviously the steam service is reliant on Gotherington being finished.

So as you can see we are going to be doing everything possible to operate as normally as possible.

Full timetable should be on the website later this week.

Steve
    GWSR webmaster

18. RASDV

RASDV Member

The historical information was most interesting. I was suprised to learn how soon after construction the embankment collapsed at Chicken Curve.
    Totally-transport.co.uk (my website) has added an appeal banner to the home and latest news pages as these are consistently the most popular pages each month.

19. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Dont know where you get 3000 from!!! - There are 11,756 members registered as of today. Therefore your target of £10000 is more realistic than you think. If we round the numbers down to 10000 (to allow for those who are no longer active) that would mean a £5 donation from 20% of the members. If all 10000 donated then we could give them £50000. Come on everyone lets rise to the challange!!! Tell you what if you want I will start a donation roll call where every member can be listed as they make the £5.00 donation. Lets see how much we can raise as a group.

20. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Members list? 3357. But hey, 11000 is more then 3000 as well, so the more the merrier :)