If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Toddington update - Chcken Curve slip

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by audlin, Jan 16, 2011.

1. The_Bristolian

The_Bristolian New Member

I'm sorry that you feel short changed by the lack of information on the website however in fairness, Ian Crowder's last report dated 31/07/12 on the news section of the official website does provide a link to the GWSR's permanent way flickr pages which have shown pictorial evidence of progress since then on the 5th, 12th, 19th, 25th & 29th of August. I believe that they are usually only out on Saturdays (all volunteers remember), so frankly you're getting it straight from the horses mouth pretty much as it happens.

I'm sure that you will have been thanked elsewhere for your financial contributions to the landslip appeal, and I can assure you that it is both very much appreciated and will assist greatly in reconnecting the two halves of the line together once again.

2. GeoffH

GeoffH New Member

Just seen the updates.

This isn't a critisism of the progress being made by the PWay chaps, who seem to be doing a splendid job, and I can see progress in made. Surely it wouldnt be too difficult to translate all this good work into a quick website update every 2 weeks.

3. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    From Nigel Black's excellent P-Way website: photos showing the last replacement sleeper now in at Chicken(less) Curve. Rails to be delivered next week according to the blog. Great!

4. RASDV

RASDV Member

Good news about the last replacement sleeper. In the latest Steam Railway magazine there was an article about Black Five No:44901 moving to the GWSR. Any idea when that might happen?
    Radio programme you might be interested in: (details from GWSR Facebook page)
    Did you know that Radio Winchcombe has a regular GWR slot on Sunday evenings? This week volunteer Alan Rampley will be live in the studio talking about the GWR to Phill Bird on Radio Winchcombe at 21.15 Sunday evening 2nd September. Catch it on 107.1FM in the locality or listen on-line from anywhere by visitingwww.radiowinchcombe.co.uk or use the radio app on your mobile. Alternatively you can listen again at a future date and also hear previous broadcasts via the website. The programme is called '...something a little bit different'.

5. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Whilst it is true that there is a link to the P-Way Flikr site under Ian Crowder's news report of 31st July, this is buried in the general news section. If you click on "Chicken Curve Collapse" as the logical way to go, then 11th July is the last update. Nearly two months ago. Surely for someone with access to the website it is but a minutes work to post:-

"Track laying progresses as materials become available, here is a link to the P-Way Flikr site for lots of images and updates..." or words to that effect.

Surely making life just a little easier for the many who have donated and want to see how their money is being spent is not that difficult?

However, great news that the line will soon be one again. Cannot wait for full-line steam services to resume.

( On the question of updates, I trust Nat-Pres members have seen the excellent blog updates, usually daily, of the Broadway station work? Here is the link :Steaming to Broadway! All the work of one volunteer. Well done Sir! )

6. D6969

D6969 New Member

Pway
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Probably the fault of all the blogs and seperate websites that the main site is starved of news? I sound like a past web master! Occasonally the main web site quote from and use information from the blogs etc.

Anyway rail has arrived and some will be laid Saturday (8th Sept).

Hopefully a update may be made...........

7. John R

John R New Member

Nigel Black's site on flickr showing that the rail was all put in today, so the railway has been reconnected (albeit with some more clipping up etc to do). Great news, looks like there was a lot of hard work done today.

8. D6969

D6969 New Member

Pway
    Some! Well all rail is now in place across the curve, see:-

IMG_0838 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is still at great deal to do but we now have a railway Cheltenham to Laverton once again!

9. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

Congratulations guys. Speaking from SVR experience. Its a very pleasing feeling to see it all back in place.

10. glennr2007

glennr2007 New Member

Photographer
    Congrats to all! Can't wait to see the trains running the full length again, let alone come down to ride :) *Round of applause*

11. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    very good job done chaps ! (and keep it)warmest congratulations
    a warm morning coffee(with a bit of milk and croissant) more for celebrate !:drum:
    regards
    Noel

12. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Fantastic news and well done to the team who worked in the hot (but no doubt welcome dry) weather yesterday. Clearly there is still much work to do but the end is in sight now thanks to all the hard work and support by people all over the heritage railway community and also those who just like seeing trains running! Looking through some old photos the other day, it brought home to me just how quickly time passes: I was part of the track-gang who laid the original GWSR track (with wooden sleepers) on Chicken Curve during a sponsored tracklay in October 1986. We were also blessed with good weather then. At that time of course, we were unaware of just how bad the embankment was to be and it was generally thought that we would be lucky to run trains to Cheltenham!

13. RASDV

RASDV Member

Interesting to hear about the original track laying over Chicken Curve by the GWSR, time really does fly!
    May I add my congratulations to the team as well. I look forward to the first trains running over the full length of the line in the not too distant future, although I realise that there is still much to do, as an update posted on the GWSR Facebook page highlights.

14. RASDV

RASDV Member

From GWSR Facebook page:
    Message from the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway's Chairman - £1million appeal; we've done it!:
    " I am delighted to report that as a result of a donation received on Sunday, the £1 million Pete Waterman Emergency Appeal (assisted by Steam Railway magazine) has reached its target.

I cannot begin to say enough thank yous.

Full line service should be back in October and then watch us fly!"

Malcolm Temple
    Chairman

Great news! Thank you to everyone who supported the appeal. Looking forward to full line service returning!

15. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    According to the pictures on the PW department's blog, the first engineer's train ran over Chicken Curve yesterday with some ballast wagons: Flickr: GWR Permanent Way's Photostream Another step towards restoration of the full line from Laverton to Cheltenham Racecourse!

16. Kinghambranch

Retired
    The GWSR website News Page is announcing notification of a reopening train on 30 October. Details are minimal at present - GWR - Gloucestershire's mainline heritage railway - Reopening celebration

Ballasting is currently under way at Chicken Curve with tamping planned for next week according to the excellent GWSR P-Way website. Perhaps it might be pertinent to close this thread once all fettling work is done at Chicken Curve, which won't be long now by the look of it!

17. daveb

daveb Member

As the line is now reconnected, perhaps this thread (and the one about the appeal) could and should have its sticky status removed?

18. HowardGWR

HowardGWR New Member

Indeed, i keep coming across this and think 'OH NO, NOT AGAIN'.

Admin, please remove this thread to a retirement home! Thank you.

19. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Has anyone reported it then, or are you just hoping a mod might come across this? I've reported it for action in case you haven't.

20. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Which I see has now been done. As Sheff says please use the report button rather than a request in the thread as we don't have time to read every single thread and post on the forum where as putting the request in via the report option will flag it up for a moderators attention.