If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Toddington update - Chcken Curve slip

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by audlin, Jan 16, 2011.

1. audlin

audlin New Member

All,

Just heard that we've had another serious embankment slip near Winchcombe on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway. There's even a possibility we'll have to run as two separate railways - Winchcombe to Gotherington (once repairs are complete on that one) and Toddington to Laverton over the new extension (thanks to PWay and S&T for getting that finished recently!)

I'm sure there'll be official news soon, but with the Gotherington slip still being repaired and having had to cancel some of the Santa's due to the snow and ice, the railway does need any help it can get.

There's an appeal already (because of the Gotherington slip) at http://www.gwsr.com/appeal.aspx so if anybody can spare a few pounds to help us get the whole line open again as soon as possible, then please do!

Thanks,

Chris Hayes,
    GWSR member & volunteer

2. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There's some more information on this subject on the Steam Traction thread. This weekend the GWSR have continued to remove the track at the "new" slip at Chicken Curve near Winchcombe prior to fettling the trackbed. This section has been causing problems for years but, like everything else it seems, has decided to get worse! However, it looks as if the Railway has it all in hand. However, as you say, the railway needs all the help it can get and money is the thing, please give generously!

3. burnettsj

burnettsj Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would disagree Kingham Branch - there has been a significant slip on Chicken Curve in the last week or so - requiring more work (and money) then was planned for. A significant increase in funds to the appeal is therefore required!

Stephen
    GWSR member & volunteer

4. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm very saddened to get that news, like many other GWSR supporters I'm sure. The slip at Chicken Curve must have got much worse as, until recently, this has been a minor nuisance rather than the catastophic event further south at Gotherington. I know this location has always been a problem but I presume that this winter has just made it a lot worse, just like last winter did at Gotherington. All this and 20% VAT too.

5. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Web developer
    Hopefully we will be able to put something formally on the website soon. You will all undstand, I hope, that there is an awful lot going on behind the scenes to work out what we are going to do next. Rest assured as soon as I have anything for publication it will be on the site. I ask you bare with us for the time being. Also of course as a member and volunteer at the railway myself I ask that anyone who can supports us in any way they can.

It is all getting rather stressful at the moment for a hobby!

Steve
    GWSR webmaster

6. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    OK Nat Press - let's get behind this one eh? They really didn't need on top of last year's massive slip.

Here's the on-line donation page GIVE NOW PLEASE

Mine's on its way :)

Good luck fellahs!

Iain

7. RASDV

RASDV Member

Its a great shame to hear this especailly has the railway has enough on its plate with the Gotherington slip at the moment. Totally-transport.co.uk have got behind the appeal by adding links to the donation page from the website, which, last month attracted 8,568 visitor. DONATE NOW!

Regards
    Totally-transport.co.uk webmaster
    GWSR member

8. audlin

audlin New Member

Iain, RASDV,

Thanks for your support, and thanks to everybody who donates to help us get the whole line open again as soon as we can.

Cheers,

Chris.
    GWSR member & volunteer

9. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Is there any way that the mods could get a 'permanent' link put on the nat pres banner so that all visitors to the site will be able to see it (as opposed to Sheff & co having to keep posting the link never mind the tread dropping off) as the last thing anyone would want to happen is to see the line disappear.

10. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    I've asked the mods to make it a sticky :)

11. Tangmere67

Tangmere67 New Member

The full story is now on the G & WR web site

http://www.gwsr.com/

As a volunteer / member all help is much appreciated. Thank you for your generosity.

12. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Good idea, but I still think that a link on the nat pres banner would draw more people to the appeal, which right now is what the GWSR needs.

13. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Web developer
  14. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

If you run or control a railway orientated website why not put a link to the G/WR appeal on your front page? Any extra publicity for the appeal I'm sure will be very much appreciated.

Chin up guys, were all behind you.

John

15. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I've made it a sticky . One of the lessons the SVR learnt was to make sure that all drains were known about in location and to get them checked that they were clear. The power of water both in and out of sight is rather scary as we unfortunately witnessed

16. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    My sympathy goes out for the railway and the volunteers that will be dealing with this latest blow. Even one landslip can become the biggest single set-back in a preserved railway's history, so to have two is almost unthinkable.

Gotherington and Chicken Curve have both now been mentioned as areas which are down on record as causing GWR/BR similar problems. Are there any other sections with similar "credentials", either between Toddington & Cheltenham or on the extension to Broadway?

I hope the heritage railways will pull together to support you as we have done in some previous appeals. My donation has been sent.

17. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Very sorry to hear about this latest setback, a real kick when the line's down. I've made my donation and look forward to travelling on the revitalised GWSR in the near future. Best of luck!

18. andreroberts@btopenworld

andreroberts@btopenworld New Member

Any support is appreciated by us volunteers, the railway means a lot to us. http://www.gwsr.com/appeal.aspx donate anything you can. Myself like many volunteers have donated as much money as they can, please support our railway.
    much appreciated
    Andre
    GWSR & 2807 ,member & volunteer

19. Chuckles

Chuckles New Member

It really is now a case of things can only get better! Must keep positive and look forward with how we can move on from the issues we face to build a better more stable railway for the future....

Dig deep all and if anyone happens to own a large civil engineering firm who does mates rates that would probably be much appreciated by the GWSR!!!

20. bgammers

bgammers New Member

Senior IT Manager
    All Help, all avenues, all websites, all pres lines, all raliway mags. Your help is much needed to get the GWSR up and running asap.